MORE Schedule Changes for 5 & 6

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition to the detour over the Overland Route May 16 - 22 and June 1 - 7, 2012, Amtrak has posted the following:

April 16 - 23 and May 1 - 4, 2012

Westbound Train 5 Operates Later Denver - Emeryville

Westbound Train 5 will operate according to the normal published schedule from Chicago to Denver, arriving in Denver at 7:15 am. On April 16 through April 23 and May 1 through May 4, Train 5 will depart Denver at 11:05 am, three hours later than the times shown in Amtrak printed timetables, and will operate according to a later schedule at all remaining stations on the route through its arrival in Emeryville the following day. Additionally, passengers traveling west of Denver may encounter delays of up to one hour.

May 6, 7 and 8, 2012

Eastbound Train 6 Operates Later Grand Junction - Chicago

Eastbound Train 6 will operate according to the normal published schedules from Emeryville to Grand Junction. On May 6, 7 and 8, the train will depart Grand Junction at 1:23 pm, three hours later than the times shown in Amtrak printed timetables, and will operate according to an adjusted schedule at all remaining stations on the route through its arrival in Chicago the following day. Additionally, passengers may encounter approximately one hour delay west of Denver. On these three dates, passengers will not be able make connections in Chicago to trains departing before 7:00 pm or to Thruway motorcoach service to Galesburg.(Emphasis added)

This explains the call that I got last night. I'll be on the 5 leaving CHI on 5/3. The way that I read that it sounds like we'll just be parked in DEN for almost 4 hrs. Good time for a nap after breakfast I suppose. :)

That might be a great chance for a trip to Chicago without having to board at 5am in Omaha! Hmmm. Something to think about. :huh:

I'll be on the #5 on 4/19. I got the call as well.

Regarding the nearly 4 hour stop in Denver - will I be allowed to get off the train and walk around a bit near the station? Or is it recommended that I stay on the train? I have a roomette from CHI to EMY, so I don't have to worry about losing my seat.

I'll be on the #5 on 4/19. I got the call as well.

Regarding the nearly 4 hour stop in Denver - will I be allowed to get off the train and walk around a bit near the station? Or is it recommended that I stay on the train? I have a roomette from CHI to EMY, so I don't have to worry about losing my seat.
Unless the situation changes again, the train will not depart until 11:05 am, so you will be able to get off and walk around. If Union Station were in use, you'd be right at the edge of downtown and could walk into downtown and see what's up, but right now Amtrak is using a temporary station due to construction. The temporary station is fairly close to Union Station, but it's on the other side of the tracks so a bit of a hike to get downtown from the station.

No need to stay on the train for four hours though, unless you want to.

Whatever you do, make sure you're back on the train before 11 am, beacuse they'll leave whether you're on it or not.

Thanks Trogdor. I would like to get off and explore a little bit. I would definitely clarify the departure time with the conductor before wandering off too far. I would be sure to be back by 10:30 at the latest.

I notice that it's fairly close to Coors Field... anything else worth checking out?

Looks like we will dodge the bullet....westbound on the CZ 6th of May, eastbound on CZ the 10th of May. I sure hope there are no more changes between now and then.

Thanks Trogdor. I would like to get off and explore a little bit. I would definitely clarify the departure time with the conductor before wandering off too far. I would be sure to be back by 10:30 at the latest.

I notice that it's fairly close to Coors Field... anything else worth checking out?
Pity the four-hour layover isn't from 12:30 to 4:30 on a day in which the Rockies are playing a 1 pm game.

It does seem like every time I'm on the Zephyr through Denver, it's on a Sunday, so I really don't get to see the area in its full glory of hustle-and-bustle.

Not surprisingly, my next time through there will be late next month...on a Sunday.

The downtown mall shuttle, which runs every few minutes, starts from the light rail station which is about 3 blocks South of the temporary station with good walking conditions (barring any construction I wouldn't know about).

Speaking of the California Zephyr, here are some shots of 5(21) reaching its western terminus today with AMTK 184 in the lead:

P1070619-XL.jpg

P1070630-XL.jpg

P1070633-XL.jpg

P1070634-XL.jpg

Great shots.

Really highlights how unattractive the current paint scheme is on the P42s.
Should be interesting to see whether Amtrak follows through with repainting some of its units as reported by CHamilton's recent post from the NARP meeting. Hope so! 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back