Double and Triple Points start today (3/14)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim G.

Service Attendant
My AGR site announced that beginning today thru May 5th would be double point promotion and May 6th thru May 12th would be triple points in honor of NTD. Good news!

Register for the Amtrak Guest Rewards® Spring Line promotion and travel Amtrak® now through May 12, 2012. When you do, you'll earn double points on all Amtrak travel, through May 5, 2012. You'll also earn a 500-point bonus after 5 qualifying trips. And earn triple points May 6 – 12, 2012, in celebration of National Train Day.
Note the fine print!
Terms and Conditions:Earn double points on qualifying Amtrak travel from 3/14/2012 12:00:00am CT through 5/5/2012 11:59:59pm CT and earn triple points on qualifying Amtrak travel from 5/6/2012 12:00:00am CT through 5/12/2012 11:59:59pm CT. Take five qualifying trips on Amtrak between 3/14/2012 12:00:00am CT and 5/12/2012 11:59:59pm CT and earn 500 bonus points. Qualifying trips for the Take 5 bonus points are one-way direct segments, with a minimum spend of $35. For travel that includes connections to additional Amtrak trains or buses, each segment of the trip which costs a minimum of $35 will qualify for the Take 5 bonus award. Take 5 bonus points will be awarded within 4 weeks following your fifth qualifying trip. Travel with a monthly pass or using multi-ride tickets does not qualify for the Take 5 bonus promotion. Only one Take 5 bonus may be earned per member. Must be an Amtrak Guest Rewards member and register for this offer to participate. Register online at AmtrakGuestRewards.com/SpringLine . Once registered, all qualifying travel during the promotion period will be eligible to earn bonus points and count toward the Take 5 bonus award. Members must include their membership number when making reservations. Cancelled or refunded reservations/tickets will be deemed ineligible. Limit of two qualifying one-way trips per day. Other terms and conditions apply.
(Emphasis mine)

Qualifying trips for the Take 5 bonus points are one-way direct segments, with a minimum spend of $35. For travel that includes connections to additional Amtrak trains or buses, each segment of the trip which costs a minimum of $35 will qualify for the Take 5 bonus award.
Since my future itineraries read something like:

PHL-NYP $36

NYP-PHL $45

PHL-NYP $36

NYP-PHL $36

PHL-NYP-$36

etc, etc

that is perfect for me. Earlier bonuses had a higher bonus but a higher minimum spend and I did not have longer trips planned.

Too bad it's $35 for a single ticket. So even a run between Chicago and Milwaukee won't count. Or if you spend $69 and have a connection, each ticket garnering $34.50, it will not count toward the 500 bonus points. :(

Yesssss... I see lots of day trips to Chicago in my future. It's usually $36 one-way. :D

My AGR site announced that beginning today thru May 5th would be double point promotion and May 6th thru May 12th would be triple points in honor of NTD. Good news!
:cool: :) :wub: Start Booking those Point Runs Folks! Taylor Here I Come!!!
I can't seem to get Taylor to book for more than $20 on the #21. Then again, who would willingly pay $70 for a day trip to Taylor anyway?! Might as well go buy some flowers or magazines or something instead.

Too bad it's $35 for a single ticket. So even a run between Chicago and Milwaukee won't count. Or if you spend $69 and have a connection, each ticket garnering $34.50, it will not count toward the 500 bonus points. :(
It doesn't work out to be exactly 1/2!
rolleyes.gif

Not the fare, but as an example use SFC-PDX for $63.50 one way. That may place the fare of the Thruway SFC-EMY as $3.50, and then price $60.00 for the EMY to PDX segment! So in that case, one segment would qualify!
cool.gif

Geeze! We book an expensive trip on the A/T two weeks ago and now I read this. Just can't seem to catch a break on points of late. I could conceivably cancel and rebook but the buckets are significantly highr right now.

Geeze! We book an expensive trip on the A/T two weeks ago and now I read this. Just can't seem to catch a break on points of late. I could conceivably cancel and rebook but the buckets are significantly highr right now.
You shouldn't have to Cancel, if you have Signed up for the Promo (it's effective Today!) youll get the Double Points up till May, if it's the week after NTD youll get Triple Points! Its when you Travel, not when you Book that gets you the Points!!

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't work out to be exactly 1/2!
rolleyes.gif

Not the fare, but as an example use SFC-PDX for $63.50 one way. That may place the fare of the Thruway SFC-EMY as $3.50, and then price $60.00 for the EMY to PDX segment! So in that case, one segment would qualify!
cool.gif
Dave If a discount from Say AAA brings your total to $34.80 would AGR count that as $35?? I am aware that AGR rounds up.. Sometimes my $6.50 fare to PAO is counted as either $6 or $7. Is this something that they would round up on or say tough luck we know your trying to cheat the system...

Last edited by a moderator:
You shouldn't have to Cancel, if you have Signed up for the Promo (it's effective Today!) youll get the Double Points up till May, if it's the week after NTD youll get Triple Points! Its when you Travel, not when you Book that gets you the Points!!
Agreed! When you booked the trip is irrelevant to the promo. It only matters that you A) register for the promo for each person traveling with an AGR number, and B) that your date of travel falls during the promo time period.

If you register for the promo dlagrua and your dates of travel fall within the range, you'll get the appropriate double/triple points.

I just clicked the link in the email from AGR about this promo and noticed, when it brought up the AGR website confirming my registration, that all my points from this last weekend on the Capitol Corridor (outbound on Saturday and return on Sunday) had already posted! :cool:

I've never seen points post that quick. In the past it was always at least 10-14 days later.

I just booked our tickets for May 6th - for $74 we're going to get 2400 points!! WOOT WOOT!!!!

I hate the $35 one way to get an extra 500 points, because I always go for the low buckets for the trips between Baltimore and DC. I do like the one ways for double and triple points. Maybe, I figure another train trip into things soon to get some more points.

Thanks AlanB and Jimhudson for your info on the promo. Now that the AGR points requirements have gone up; it's more important to squeeze out every last one. Some of the AGR merchants in the shopping portal have some good deals for points. I'll have to take advantage of that.

How did everyone find out about this promotion? The only email I've received about any promotion was the deal about buying points. If I hadn't come across this thread, I wouldn't have known about it. I was able to register though. Right after I registered though my wife got a message that she was ineligible for the promotion. When she tried it again, it worked. Strange.

How did everyone find out about this promotion? The only email I've received about any promotion was the deal about buying points. If I hadn't come across this thread, I wouldn't have known about it. I was able to register though. Right after I registered though my wife got a message that she was ineligible for the promotion. When she tried it again, it worked. Strange.
Well I first saw it here, then I went to flyertalk to read the thread about it. I haven't received an email yet. I also saw it when I logged into the AGR website. They don't normally send the emails about the promos on the first day of the promo.

I saw this thread and registered right away. Amtrak had already posted it on Facebook and Twitter. I received an email from AGR last night. Sometimes the email is a day or two behind the social networks.

I just booked our tickets for May 6th - for $74 we're going to get 2400 points!! WOOT WOOT!!!!
Minor correction here. You'll get 222... Or if your booked Acela City Pairs you'd earn 1500 in BC and in FC you'd earn 2250. So that would 3000 in BC and 4500 on AE RT. :D I'm hoping I can get some money together to do this.
???

4 segments X triple points (300) X 2 people = 2400 (1200 each) right?

Or did I miss something?

Minor correction here. You'll get 222... Or if your booked Acela City Pairs you'd earn 1500 in BC and in FC you'd earn 2250. So that would 3000 in BC and 4500 on AE RT. :D I'm hoping I can get some money together to do this.
???

Or did I miss something?
No, you are correct! Steven doesn't know what he's taking about!
tongue.gif

And that's also assuming that each segment is valued at more than $35 EACH!
rolleyes.gif

???

Or did I miss something?
No, you are correct! Steven doesn't know what he's taking about!
tongue.gif

And that's also assuming that each segment is valued at more than $35 EACH!
rolleyes.gif
The problem, as I see it, is that the OP said that they were getting 2400 points for $74.00. 4 segments TIMES two people for $74.00? Something is missing as this does not add up for me.

Back