Trespasser

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SAC Conductor

Hey all,

Here is first hand account of a day in the life of a conductor, and a trespasser incident. Thought you may find it interesting, enjoy.

Trespasser:

NOTE: Names and dates have been changed or omitted to protect everybody’s sanity, and identity.

This is a first hand account of what conductors do on a daily basis.

I showed up for work at 6:15 am, ready for another wonderful day. Our equipment for the trip today consisted of one locomotive and 5 cars. We had our job briefing and went out to the equipment. Did the standard pre departure checklist, inspected the train for emergency supplies, inspected the door systems, PA systems, safety equipment, headlights, etc. At 0640 we were ready for the oncoming masses of talking cattle, also known as passengers from time to time. 0700 departure from Sacramento, en-route to San Jose (SJC). I collected my tickets, joked a little with the regular passengers, nothing to out of the ordinary. Made SJC with an on-time arrival, not a bad trip.

After our layover we pulled down to station track 4 in SJC, loaded our passengers and departed. Made the station stop in Great America with out incident. Before we could make it to Freemont things deteriorated very quickly. We were informed by the operations department that a freight train ahead of us had gotten passed a STOP signal at Niles Jct. Shortly thereafter the Train Dispatcher informed us that a freight train at Niles had an ‘incident’ and we were to hold at the Freemont station pending instructions. We informed the passengers that a freight train in front of us had some problems and that there would be an extended delay at the Freemont station. While disappointed most took the news quite well. A few of the commuters got together a split a cab to the subway station, but most just enjoyed the AC and relaxed. After about an hour delay we were able to proceeded. After stopping in Hayward we exited the tunnel underneath the old Western Pacific main line (currently a BART overpass), and entered into the crossing at Washington Ave. I was just finishing an announcement informing the passengers about the delays incurred while at Freemont and some ETA’s for future station stops when it happened.

You never quite get over the sound, WOOOSSSHHH followed by a metallic, yet dull thud. You can actually feel as 110lbs of air evacuate the brake cylinders and the trains emergency brakes apply with 20% more stopping force than a full service brake application. I instinctively put my back against the vestibule wall expecting the worst. This is the absolute worst feeling as a conductor, you wonder if you engineer is alive, what you have just hit? are we going to de-rail? how long until I am upside down? As a few thousand thoughts race through your head the train comes to a rather abrupt stop. As I reached for my Pacset (2 way radio) to inquire about my engineers safety and what happened I hear the dreaded radio transmission. “EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY, EMERGENCY, Amtrak 5xx is in Emergency at Washington Ave, we struck a trespasser, over”. The Dispatcher comes over the radio saying that help is on the way. All the meanwhile a new set of thousand questions hits, how many people are on board? is the trespasser dead or alive? are the engineers ok or hurt (physically and emotionally)?

My partner is already making a mad dash for the “head end’ of the train to check on the engine crew. I instinctively run to my bag grabbing my gloves, safety glasses and a first aid kit. I run to the doorway, and get ready to de-train than decide to wait to hear from my partner instead. As she races by me on the ground I throw her the supplies I have and instead, make my way to the PA. The announcement is always kind of difficult to invent, and even more difficult to deliver in a tone that will not upset the passengers. I give it my best shot and in a somewhat shaky voice manage to get over the PA “Ladies and gentleman may I have your attention please, It appears we have stuck a trespasser on the tracks, while my partner steps off the train to investigate I will be coming around to see that everybody is ok after the hard stop. Once my partner reports back to me I will update you with regards to the situation, thank you and sorry for the delay.”

I then head to the Control Cab to check on the engine crew, who insist they are ok, shaken but ok. I walk the train and confirm there or no injuries to passengers or crew, this is a relief. The dispatcher calls back over the radio asking if help has arrived. I can hear the sirens coming up fast so I know that help is on the way if not already present, so I inform the dispatcher that help is on the scene and there or no injuries to crew or passengers. Now begins the waiting game. Wait for the corner, wait for the investigation, wait for the railway officials, etc. after about a 2 hr and 20 min delay we are informed we can proceed.

Amtrak Operations calls to see if we require a relief crew or will we be able to operate the train. Both myself and the other crew have already discussed the matter and decided upon relief, we have also agreed that if needed we will operate to the Oakland Station (6mi) and take relief there if a crew can not get to us. So as you can guess we end up going to Oakland (OKJ) where it has been decided that we will transfer our rather tardy passengers to a waiting train that originates in OKJ with a final destination of SAC, at which point we are to take the train to the yard where the environmental crew can clean the equipment. We get to the yard, to find that no alternate transport has arrived to get us home to Sacramento. After being delayed for 3 plus hours, we are stuck in Oakland. A few heated phone calls with local management got us a ride in a taxi to the SAC station, about an hour or so later we finally get a cab at 1830 (630pm). Arrive into Sacramento at 2000 (8pm) sharp, and head home.

Its always an interesting day on the railroad, but this is what we do, 14 hours at work, not a single thanks from a manager or even an “are you ok?“ Not that I want patted on the back for doing my job, but having things like a way home would be nice with out fighting for it. Just remember when your conductor seems grumpy or the car attendant is a little harsh its not that we hate our jobs, in fact we generally like work. Its that we probably have spent the last trip dealing with something totally insane, fighting to get paid correctly, and have no support from the managers. Than again its just another day at work for the many of us out on the train and we don’t think to much about it.

Interesting post. Thanks for your perspective. Being part of the 'front lines,' you are one the 'faces' of Amtrak that riders deal with most, and when you feel a lack of respect from management it can be tough to still respect the 'talking cattle.'

Thanks for your Perspective on a Tough Day @ the Office! :hi: Most of us Know that RailRoad Jobs aren't Easy or "Fun", but like All Jobs it's those on the Front Lines that Acrually Do the Work that get the Least Pay and Respect! Glad None of the Crew or Pax were Injured or Killed, my Only Concern is the "Talking Cattle" Thing, Maybe it Doesn't Apply to You, but too Many Amtrak OBS Do have this Attitude Towards the Customers :angry2: , those Folks that Make their Jobs Possible!! As too your Managers, Your Union needs to get on the Stick and Help with Attitude Adjustments for these Empty Suits!!! :help:

Just cause you hate management you don't take it out on the cattle as you say. If we stop riding trains you're out of a job. Not all passengers are bad so don't take it on the ones that enjoy the train ride and don't give you a hard time.

Last edited by a moderator:
[Moderator's Note]

Please let's look at the big picture here. We should thank SAC Conductor for the first hand knowledge! (I personally do!
smile.gif
) And yes the "talking cattle" comment was not the best choice - however neither is many of us calling coach passengers "the unwashed masses"! (And I too have been guilty of that comment!
sad.gif
) Everybody is human!

I for one am glad that there are people like this on the front lines! Yes, there are some bad apples on trains - and some are even passengers! I for one would rather hear about the good (and bad) from a good and caring employee, than just the bad from an uncaring employee or passenger.

I sometimes wonder how quickly or efficiently the news trickles its way through the chain, but I am a passenger who calls into Customer Service to give praise to employees who make a positive impact on my travels. This is on top of stating my happiness to them in person. Yesterday was one such account where the names, train #'s and dates, and car consist #'s when appropriate are provided as a follow-up to a trip.

I have only experienced an emergency brake application once, aboard the California Zephyr after horseback riders were using the tracks as a trail in Auburn and nearly ended up as a greasy mark on the lead locomotive, I have been to the scene of a trespasser incident as a first responder. Not a pretty sight, going along the tracks and counting the recognizable parts left. :excl:

Anyhow, seems you have affiliation with my 'home train' which means I'm one of the "talking cattle" on a regular basis. Don't worry, I'm usually content to ruminate and watch the scenery! :rolleyes:

[Moderator's Note]

Please let's look at the big picture here. We should thank SAC Conductor for the first hand knowledge! (I personally do!
smile.gif
) And yes the "talking cattle" comment was not the best choice - however neither is many of us calling coach passengers "the unwashed masses"! (And I too have been guilty of that comment!
sad.gif
) Everybody is human!

I for one am glad that there are people like this on the front lines! Yes, there are some bad apples on trains - and some are even passengers! I for one would rather hear about the good (and bad) from a good and caring employee, than just the bad from an uncaring employee or passenger.
Even though we shoudn't do it, I sometimes feel that service crews treat Coach passengers "a step below" sleeper pax.

I thought the "talking cattle" description was funny, and I have been one them.
Me too. :) Whenever we try to leave a ball game, concert, or whatever and everyone is shuffling along, I start "moo"-ing very quietly. :)

[Moderator's Note]

smile.gif
sad.gif
) Everybody is human!

There is a difference. We are referring to ourselves as I doubt any of us who have taken multiple trips have not taken at least one in coach. Same as in airplanes. I travelled almost always in coach (with a few notable exceptions) but still refer to coach passengers as steerage. But I resent an "insider" calling me that as it indicates a lack of respect that, reflected on the job, would indicate a poor customer service attitude. Especially true since he is not a member and thus people don't know his true feelings based on experience with his postings.

On the other hand, his first act after responding to the potential emergency was to not only inform the passengers but to insure that it was done in such a way as to minimize passenger issues. That would indicate to me that he was just joking with the cattle comment.

Moooo!

I thought the "talking cattle" description was funny, and I have been one them.
Me too. :) Whenever we try to leave a ball game, concert, or whatever and everyone is shuffling along, I start "moo"-ing very quietly. :)
I only 'moo' when flying Southwest. Especially in the 'old' days, when one waited in multiple lines, it always got my fellow cattle laughing. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you SAC_Conductor for taking the time to "speak" to the railfan and rider community about what goes on behind the scenes and your thoughts during an unfortunate incident such as this. Knowing how an organization works on the inside not only helps me as a customer to understand some of the whys behind what you do, but even the operating during tragic events carries a certain fascination with it.

As to the cattle remark, I'm ok with this, particularly when in the context of the incident. I believe Tommy Lee Jones as "Agent K" in Men In Black said it best: "a person is smart, but people are stupid." While I'm not saying that Amtrak customers are stupid, there's a different dynamic in a large crowd than interacting with a person one on one and many of the reactions and such of a crowd can be likened to herd animals. I'd much rather face one angry person, than a hundred mildly upset people personally.

I'm sitting on the 736 right now parked somewhere between Hayward and Oakland Coliseum waiting for the coroner to show up. It has been about 1 hr delay so far. That makes it 2 in 2 days. :(

Just curious, if the connecting train at OKJ was going to SAC anyway, could have you guys just deadheaded back to SAC on that train. Or does that mean you are still on duty, after having been released from duty?

Thanks for sharing this account with us. I have been on a train that struck and killed a bicyclist, and I really felt bad for the engineer and the rest of the crew that had to deal with it. I know it happens more frequently than we like to think, and my pals that work for Amtrak say they "get used to it", but still. That's definitely a rough part of your job and I wish you had more support from your management especially when things like this happen.

thanks for sharing your story SAC conductor! very interesting to hear about a work day from a different perspective....and thanks to all the crews out there for keeping us rolling, and safe...

there are more good eggs than bad apples...and i hope that when i commend them in letters to the boss, the info gets passed along back to the crew member...

i also have been on trains that hit trespassers....i felt very bad for the crew...and the whole experience was sort of eerie...

Just curious, if the connecting train at OKJ was going to SAC anyway, could have you guys just deadheaded back to SAC on that train. Or does that mean you are still on duty, after having been released from duty?
If SAC_Conductor's crew hadn't taken the train into the yard then the yard switch crew would have had to go all 1.3 miles to OKJ to pick it up, and that just makes too much sense for Amtrak management.

Yes, they could have done so. However, how would their train get from OKJ to the Oakland yards without a crew?
huh.gif
(The yards are a few miles north of OKJ!) They could not just leave the train sitting at the station!
rolleyes.gif

Today's trip was the bustitution from hell because of the trespasser. After about 1 1/2 hrs of sitting there Amtrak decided to put us all on BART (luckily with a station only a few hundred yds away from where we were stopped) to Richmond where we were to wait for a bus to take us to Martinez to get on a train to take us to points beyond. The bus-bridge part was already known (was supposed to be between EMY & MTZ) due to some track work that UP is doing.

Everyone from Amtrak (from the train crew to the people meeting us at both Richmond and Martinez) did a very good job of taking care of us and keeping us informed as best as they could. It also made for some interesting conversations amongst our group of about a dozen (the '736 gang') that pretty much stayed together throughout it all and kept in good spirits as well.

Kudos to everyone involved. :)

Thank you for sharing this. I also like to have an idea of what's going on during such an emergency, and it gives me an idea of what's expected from me as well.

I have no problem whatsoever with SAC Conductor's comment. Knowing the kind of crowd on the California trains, especially at a rush hour departure, I found it quite amusing and in good spirits. Someone who takes his job seriously but not too seriously and can joke about it is often the best person for the job, in many cases. I knew he had no issues with customers whatsoever when his first thought after the quick braking was to see if any passengers and their luggage may have been damaged. I have been on many trains where this kind of thing has happened, with a response not always as caring. Thank you for your detailed report of what you have to go through daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back