Portable GPS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
Some have mentioned using GPS systems on the trains. Thought I'd start a thread specifically for GPS ideas.

I think I'd like to get a GPS for my trip in the fall.

I'm starting to look at portable GPS systems and am trying to keep it inexpensive but have no idea what to look for.

I'm also thinking of getting an iPod Touch (to use as a replacement PDA for my Palm T/X - don't want to use a phone for my PDA stuff) and have seen portable GPS "cradles" for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Any suggestions welcomed. :)

Some have mentioned using GPS systems on the trains. Thought I'd start a thread specifically for GPS ideas.

I'm starting to look at portable GPS systems and am trying to keep it inexpensive but have no idea what to look for.

I'm also thinking of getting an iPod Touch (to use as a replacement PDA for my Palm T/X - don't want to use a phone for my PDA stuff) and have seen portable GPS "cradles" for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I'm planning on using the GPS app on my Android based smartphone. It remains to be seen whether the phone will be able to detect the GPS satellite while on the train. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'm planning on using the GPS app on my Android based smartphone. It remains to be seen whether the phone will be able to detect the GPS satellite while on the train. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I too am planning on using the GPS on my smart phone (Blackberry Bold in my instance) I just can't seem to justify to myself plopping down the $$ for something that I would rarely use, especially since my phone does have GPS built in.

It depends on the phone. If you've got an HTC phone, I've had very good experiences with their GPS receivers. Keep it by the window and you'll be okay. If, like me, you've got a Samsung Galaxy S series (Vibrant, Captivate, Fascinate), the GPS on them is notorious for poor sensitivity. Other brands, I've no experience with.

Well, I am due for a phone upgrade before my trip. I'll have to think about adding GPS to my wish list of features on my next phone.

Though I'm thinking about getting the iPod Touch, I'm not an Apple person. It's just that the iPod Touch seems to be the only non-smartphone out there that would replace my PDA. And it's a lot less expensive than getting a smartphone w/o a plan. Plus I can get it with an employee's discount as my SIL works in an Apple store. It's unlikely that I'll consider the iPhone.

I have a 3g ipad which has a built in GPS. Used in conjunction with an amazing app called "motionX" it turns your ipad into a moving map gps unit. In addition, you can configure it to send email updates to your friends or family at regular intervals showing your exact position. It also keeps a running track log displayed on the map of where you've been. When you finish the trip, you can email the map with track log to anyone you like, or import it to google earth and save it to your computer at home. Also tracks total ascent and descent for entire journey, current percent incline or decline, total trip distance, total trip time, current speed, max and min speed, moving average speed and total average speed. It also stores and displays a graphical chart of your altitude as you go up and down for the entire trip as well as a graphical depction of your average speed taken in snapshots every 10 minutes. It will talk to you and give periodic information about total time elapsed, distance covered, and current speed if you enable that function.

The app will download the base maps as you go along thru the 3g service, but since many areas of train routes have no cell coverage, you can download the entire map base of your intended route before you leave and it will store it on the ipad. Hence, no cell service is required for it to work.

I had mine configured to email my position to my brother once every hour (you can choose any interval you want from once per day to once every 10 minutes). When there is no cell coverage, the app saves the position update and when you get back in coverage it sends it out. Besides driving him nuts with emails, he really enjoyed tracking me on my trip.

Of course you can just use it as a map to see where you are, speed, altitude and that sort of thing, but there are many other features this app has which makes it great. You can type in a destination and it will give you turn by turn directions with voice prompt (useful for driving). Also, with the Ipads big screen, the maps are very easy to read. You can zoom in our out to any scale you like at any time. I kept mine running, set up near the window for 3 days, it worked perfectly.

The app will also run in the background keeping track of everything if you wish to use your ipad for reading, email, listening to music or web surfing.

You can buy the original Ipads pretty cheaply now, you can even buy a factory reconditioned one on apples web site or get a used one off ebay. The new Ipad 2 is not worth the extra money in my opinion unless you have to have a camera to make skype calls.

Link to Refurbished Ipad

I'm not an apple person either, but I love this Ipad. And if you're planning on buying a GPS anyway, you can get one for just a little bit more and have something you can use for other purposes.

I downloaded several books before my trip as well as some movies. But if you plan to listen to music or watch movies, bring a set of ear buds. The built in speaker isn't loud enough. I had an audio splitter and we sat in the lounge car and watched a movie with several other people. The splitter would allow 4 people to plug in for the audio.

Last edited by a moderator:
I simply used google maps on my iPhone if I wanted to see my location on a map.

I also had the Instamapper app running in the background 24/7 to upload data to a tracker website I built which displayed my position and GPS data live. The app also displayed raw GPS data (speed, elevation, etc...) on the iPhone. Using the Instamapper app and site, I was able to create this of my east coast trip last year too.

2rzyzbn.jpg

I have an HTC/Google Nexus One android phone. I have several GPS applications plus the navigation function built in. Works fine on the train. I highly recommend as fewer electronics you need to carry. Before that i had used a USB GPS antenna into the laptop combined with Microsoft Streets and Maps or Google Earth.

All worked the Android Nexus One phone is MUCH easier. Also acts as a MiFi for the laptop and with bluetooth headset music and phone source. I just need to keep it plugged in as the battery tends to die quickly when used for all the functions at once.

I've used a number of GPS receivers on the train as follows:

Garmin GPS III+ (the old workhorse) -

Pros

- the flip up quad helix antenna works pretty well at bringing in signals - once it is synced

- can store about 5000 data points, which seems to be more than sufficient to cover most LD overnight trips

- can attach external antenna for better reception

- provides serial data that can be used with a number of mapping applications in real time

- serial connection also allows data to be transferred to PC trip

Cons

- older technology, may not sync while train is in motion

- not the smallest GPS receiver in the world

- about 12-17 hours of battery life, but can use 12 VDC w/converter for external power

- only records 2D position (which may not be a problem if you are not interested in elevation)

Garmin e-Trex (another old work horse)

Pros

- reasonable signal reception if placed against the window (I made a small suction cup mount to attach e-Trex to window - works well)

- can store data points (more than 5000, depending upon model) - usually more than sufficient for most LD runs

- provides serial data that can be used with a number of mapping application in real time

- serial connection also allows data to be transferred to PC after trip

Cons

- e-Trex is meant for hiking - not necessarily for train :)

- no signal reception unless placed against the window

- about 17+/- hours of battery life, but can use 12 VDC w/converter for external power

Garmin Nuvi

Pros

- great signal reception

- great logging features

- nice map

- great window mount

Cons

- may need 12 VDC converter or AC "wall wart" to power the unit

DeLorme Earthmate USB (w/Street Atlas application)

Pros

- excellent signal reception once synced (recommend synching at station before boarding train)

- small, light weight - great option if you are bringing and using your laptop on the train

- no battery or power limitations since it feeds off your PC

Cons

- the little suction cup window mount that comes with the package is not the greatest

- data stored in DeLorme GPS native format (not a big problem - but need to convert to view in other map applications)

Reading the other posts - I am interested in learning more about how folks capture GPS data on their smart phones and transfer to PC. I recently purchased Droid 2 (like 2 weeks ago) and am still negotiating learning curve. I'd like to learn how to access GPS data and transfer to PC - would appreciate some pointers.

Also for consideration - would it make sense to make a dedicated thread for GPS? It seems like we respond to questions about what GPS receivers folks use over and over again....and then we would have thread where folks could discuss more technical details, post maps, etc. Just a thought!

Reading the other posts - I am interested in learning more about how folks capture GPS data on their smart phones and transfer to PC. I recently purchased Droid 2 (like 2 weeks ago) and am still negotiating learning curve. I'd like to learn how to access GPS data and transfer to PC - would appreciate some pointers.
On my Android based system, I use "My Tracks" to record the GPS track, then export it as a GPX file which is saved on the memory card of my cellphone. I then email it to myself as an attachment. My purpose for using the GPS is to tag any photos I take with the exact location they were taken at. This is done with a free program from Google called "Geosetter". You import the GPX file and then synch it with your folder of photos and it matches up the times and walla! Photos tagged.

I don't have a 3G phone and I'm not planning on taking my laptop. I've been thinking about getting a GPS system for my car, so before my next train trip I'll probably buy a portable GPS that I can mount to the train window as well. Amazon has this one on sale for $109, & I'm thinking of buying it. I haven't seen much feedback here about portable-style GPS units - if anyone has any feedback I'd like to hear it.

I don't have a 3G phone and I'm not planning on taking my laptop. I've been thinking about getting a GPS system for my car, so before my next train trip I'll probably buy a portable GPS that I can mount to the train window as well. Amazon has this one on sale for $109, & I'm thinking of buying it. I haven't seen much feedback here about portable-style GPS units - if anyone has any feedback I'd like to hear it.
I have a TomTom One XL portable GPS with lifetime map updates and traffic monitoring which I use in my car daily. I've taken it along on my last two Amtrak trips. On a trip from Houston to Alpine in coach I mounted it to the window with its built in suction cup and got great reception. Last September I traveled from Longview to Chicago round trip in a bedroom. My charging cord wouldn't reach from the outlets near the vanity to the window, so I tried setting it up on the sink counter in the center of the car. To my pleasant surprise it was able to pick up enough signal for a fix right through the ceiling and walls of the car.

Cons: The unit has no "off-road" mode that I have been able to find; while it does show railroad tracks on its map it will not believe you are on them and will go to great lengths to "place" you on the nearest highway, street, or cow path. (You think I'm exaggerating. Its map showed stretches of old-old Route 66 that haven't been used as a roadway since the fifties, and which have been largely reclaimed by weeds and neglect. The TomTom kept trying to move us from the railroad track to the abandoned roadway.) You can connect it to a laptop via a USB port, but if there is software for logging your trip I haven't found it yet. To be fair, I haven't really looked.

Also for consideration - would it make sense to make a dedicated thread for GPS? It seems like we respond to questions about what GPS receivers folks use over and over again....and then we would have thread where folks could discuss more technical details, post maps, etc. Just a thought!
That's why I started this thread. It would be nice to have a pinned thread as when I try searching for GPS, I get "nothing found" (maybe because it's only 3 letters).

I just use my old TomTom. It could stand to be replaced, that's for sure, but it's what's already paid for so until it quits, I don't plan to quit using it.

I am not 100% positive about this.... But.....

I believe the Garmin TOPO maps (Vs navigator maps), will automatically follow railroad tracks, if you actually want the unit to route when you are on the train.

I am bringing my full size Nuvi 265 with a motorola charger on my CONO trip in June (the real one). The unit can stay powered with a standard motorola usb charger, plugged right into a seat AC outlet. I plan on leaving the regular navigator maps on it since I am using it with the car in New Orleans. The only thing I am changing on board the train is the routing mode. By switching to walking instead of car, it does not follow the roads but just points a straight pink line to the destination, which is good enough for me. I added waypoints for each train station on my route. Because of this, I really never need to begin a route, except for the final station (which will show estimated time till arrival). Just simply zooming out will show the 2 stations we are in between at any time.

As far as the best handheld for the train, I like the etrex units (older, cheaper, but perfect). One important thing for me is the ability to use regular rechargeable AA batteries. That way I can use the GPS, and simply charge and swap batteries on the train. The Etrex all take regular AA, a plus.

That's why I started this thread. It would be nice to have a pinned thread as when I try searching for GPS, I get "nothing found" (maybe because it's only 3 letters).
Sorry about that ... I should have said dedicated forum - like they have for the newbies. So - yeah it would be nice if we could pin this thread.

Well, my SIL is ordering my iPod Touch today (he lives across country...where I'll be taking my train trip later this year). I'm thinking of getting the XGPS150 Bluetooth GPS to use with the iPod. I figure this will also work with my daughter's Android phone. Now I just need to decide which map application will best meet my needs on the train (going from WIL - WAS - CHI -PRO) so I can have the maps downloaded on my iPod before my trip.

If you go to Google and search with this you will get lots of info... site:discuss.amtraktrains.com gps

If you go to Google and search with this you will get lots of info... site:discuss.amtraktrains.com gps

Thanks for that "link". I was trying to use the forum's search feature and didn't get any "hits".

I also have a Garmin Nuvi, but mine is just the basic model (doesn't say street names). It does, however, allow for off-road travel. I tried using it from our roomette, but it couldn't find the satellites. It did, however, work very well in the SSL.

I also had the Instamapper app running in the background 24/7 to upload data to a tracker website I built which displayed my position and GPS data live. The app also displayed raw GPS data (speed, elevation, etc...) on the iPhone. Using the Instamapper app and site, I was able to create this of my east coast trip last year too.
Does this Instampper app use your data up? I have my iPhone on the lowest data package and don't want to burn it up and have the extra charge since I am over my data plan.

I got my iPod Touch and the Dual xgps150 GPS last week. Also downloaded Motion-X.

Haven't had a chance to really test them out yet. The GPS did pick up the signal, as far as I can tell, in my house.

I have plenty of time to learn to use the GPS and the maps (will need to download maps since I won't have wi-fi access most of the time) before my trip in Nov.

I have a Tom-Tom GO 920. For you fellow Tom Tom users can I use this on the train and is it possible to connect my Tom Tom to my lap top and follow my route on the Laptop?

Thank you

Does this Instampper app use your data up? I have my iPhone on the lowest data package and don't want to burn it up and have the extra charge since I am over my data plan.
You know, I really couldn't say. I think at the time of the trip I was still on the old unlimited data plan so I didn't pay much attention to it.

You know, I really couldn't say. I think at the time of the trip I was still on the old unlimited data plan so I didn't pay much attention to it.
You're lucky you got the old unlimited plan. :-(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back