Subway-Style Map of the Amtrak System

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
This is from graphic designer Cameron Booth, who has designed several subway-style maps.

Different sizes are available for viewing or download.

Link

Me too!
angry.gif

All that link gets me is a flickr/Yahoo sign-in page.
I must get it as I am a Flickr member and was signed in when I found the link.

Try this LINK and see if you can get it this way. If you can't you might have to join Flickr (we have an AU group on Flickr) and it is free.

Try this one.

I did on my wife's computer and she isn't a Flickr member and it opened OK.

When it opens in the browser it may jumpt to a smaller version. Just click on it and it will go back to the big version - I hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could someone please download this map, and post it somewhere better? :wub:
I tried, but the admin silently removed all traces of it without explanation. I'm assuming it's a copyright issue they're worried about, even though inline images that have so far been left alone can also result in complications with copyright. <_<

I tried, but the admin silently removed all traces of it without explanation. I'm assuming it's a copyright issue they're worried about, even though inline images that have so far been left alone can also result in complications with copyright.

Since you downloaded it an put it on another site, didn't feel comfortable with that. We had already fixed it so folks could see and get it from Flickr, so no need to have it from both places.
[/QUOTE]

This is from graphic designer Cameron Booth, who has designed several subway-style maps.

Different sizes are available for viewing or download.

Link
Pretty neat.

And the design really drives home the fact tha so much of Amtrak service is concentrated in the Northeast Corridor.

Nice map, very detailed, and geometrically satisfying, but I still like my layout better. I haven't yet found time to work on an updated version of this based on suggestions I got here before, but the sense of urgency is growing.

Re: Embiggenated. Can someone help me smallify this pic?

amtrak1-3.jpg

Nice map, very detailed, and geometrically satisfying, but I still like my layout better. I haven't yet found time to work on an updated version of this based on suggestions I got here before, but the sense of urgency is growing.

Re: Embiggenated. Can someone help me smallify this pic?

amtrak1-3.jpg
I like the subway-style map much better. It is both informative and well-designed. Your map is too utilitarian; it reminds me of a map my third-grader could make. Sorry.

Actually I would argue the opposite is true-- look up the definition of "utilitarian". The Subway map, while more professional, is more pleasing to the eye and less practical. They're both good, but neither is really practical when it comes to Amtrak.

I would laugh if I saw some tourists holding the Subway-style map in CUS asking "where is the red-line, we want to get off in Denver" :lol:

A mild criticism of the Subway-style map... do the Regionals really go to Springfield? I was under the impression that for the regionals in NHV there was a corresponding shuttle, but no regional changes power at NHV to proceed to SPG... That would require having to park a regional consist in SPG.

Nice map. You should see if Amtrak will use it in their timetables and brochures.
Yes, it is an excellent map. Does a very nice job of showing the route of the trains and where they overlap. For example, makes it easy to see where the 2 Silver service trains go. Like the box showing all the trains lines ending in Chicago, while the bar for NYP has most trains start/stop there, but the NE Regionals & Acelas run through the station. This map would make a nice addition to the Amtrak website with embedded links to the station and route information pages.

For fun, imagine the map a few years from now with new service to Madison WI, the 3C corridor in OH (if it happens), Downeaster extended to Brunswick, Vermonter rerouted to the knowledge corridor in MA, new Regional to Norfolk south of James River for the announced paid for changes. Then for the near term discusses possible/probable improvements: Lynchburger extended to Roanoke VA, Heartland Flyer to Kansas City, Silver service using the FEC in FL, what appears to be likely to get funded in the next HSR grant go-around Chicago to Iowa City, and for kicks, service restored FL to New Orleans.

A mild criticism of the Subway-style map... do the Regionals really go to Springfield? I was under the impression that for the regionals in NHV there was a corresponding shuttle, but no regional changes power at NHV to proceed to SPG... That would require having to park a regional consist in SPG.
Hi, I'm the designer of the map... very interested to see such a lively discussion of my work here. In regards to this question, I've just checked the Northeast Regional timetable (because you made me paranoid about it, LOL!) and some Regionals definitely seem to travel to/from Springfield:

#141 leaves Springfield at 6:00am M-F and goes to Washington, DC

#143 leaves Springfield at 6:30am Sat-Sun -> Washington, DC

#145 and #147 do similar... and there are Regionals that do the same Northbound as well: #136, #140, #148, #146. Interestingly, all the SB trains ar in the morning and all the NB trains are in the evening, so you may be right about the storage of trains at Springfield.

Cheers,

Cameron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back