#353 hits a Detroit Fire Truck at crossing

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Witnesses at the scene near Lonyo Street and Dix Avenue said a Detroit police car and the fire truck were parked on the tracks responding to a separate crash involving a woman and her child
Is parking that tough in Detroit?

as of 2:15PM(when the 2nd link was updated) the 2nd link says buses are taking westbound passengers to there stops.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, If trained Emergency Personnel do not know better about Railroad Tracks, the public is doomed. The worst part, The people in that County, and the rest of us will be paying the Damages because of someone's stupidity :angry: .

Aloha

Looks like 26 or 28, can't tell from the hazy photos. Joins 32 in the repair line that was clobbered by a garbage truck last year. If it has at least one wheel and a nut behind it, there isn't a vehicle made that can't pop a train. Remember the snowmobile in Vermont, just like Sasquatch stepped on a bug.

According to Amtrak.com its Estimated Arrival Time: 2 hours and 41 minutes late into Chicago. should be there around 7PM local time as opposed to 4:15PM.

I wonder if they were wearing seat belts? Most city firefighters don't wear them. As much as us firefighters talk about "wear your seatbelts" some firefighters don't wear them. I know I do.

Steve

Yes GG-1, some emergency personal do dumb things some times. You have to consider a firefighter running into a burning building when all the sane ones are running out. Trust me, I do it as a volunteer, and while we (and our career counterparts) work hard to stay alert and safe, things do happen. BTW, count me among those who always wear a seat belt riding in a car or firetruck.

Looks like these guys figured out they were doing a stupid thing and tried to correct it, only one person on the rig and was trying to move it off the tracks.

Its happened before. Two firefighters were killed in September 1989 near Catlett, Virginia by an Amtrak train, One was killed in March 2000 near Fayetteville NC. Both accidents were unavoidable by Amtrak.

For a firefighter perspective check www.firefighterclosecalls.com

I've noticed that emergency vehicles tend to park wherever they want to when arriving at an emergency scene, whether they block a road in the process or not. Perhaps this training tends to override considerations of personal safety. At least there were no serious injuries but GG-1's comment is correct, they make a mistake and we get to pay for it.

I've noticed that emergency vehicles tend to park wherever they want to when arriving at an emergency scene, whether they block a road in the process or not. Perhaps this training tends to override considerations of personal safety. At least there were no serious injuries but GG-1's comment is correct, they make a mistake and we get to pay for it.
well maybe now they will think twice before parking on ACTIVE railroad tracks(yeah right).

353 arrived into Chicago at 7:33PM local time 3 hours and 17 minutes late. wonder if there any damage to the loco. When the taxes eagle hit a SUV on approach to San Antonio we were delayed maybe a hour or so cause both passengers in the SUV survived though there were car parts everywhere cause it landed in a ditch. No damage to the lead loco so police cleared the train. You had this female yard worker though who was ordering everyone back on the train who got off and cause she was not in uniform and did not have ID out some passengers questioned her and she threatened to have them arrested if they did not get back on the train.

Acording to the Asst. Fire Chief of the Detroit F.D. thia was a $600,000 rig that was totaled. In so many words he said that because of somebodys stupidity the citizens of Detroit are without a ladder truck and $600,000. Needless to say he didn't sound too happy.

In so many words he said that because of somebodys stupidity the citizens of Detroit are without a ladder truck and $600,000.
Was this an uninsured loss?
Aloha

Most state, City, and Large company's do what is called self insured. Basically underwrite losses internally.

Also I would like to be clear from the earlier post. I am very sportive of our emergency, first responders, which is a reason I get upset about stupid decisions.

GG1, dont worry about your posts, they are just fine imho. Sometimes firefighters have to be reminded (or remind each other) they they are human too. I somehow think the DFD AC is pissed at someone OTHER than amtrak.

The city's top fire official spared few words Monday when calling out firefighters who left on railroad tracks a ladder truck before it was struck by a passenger train.

"I'm very upset," Executive Fire Commissioner James Mack said. "It was a $600,000 truck. We're trained professionals. We should always be thinking."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100302/ME...s#ixzz0h3MUTMUm

A firetruck PARKS on active tracks and it's Amtrak's fault? Sigh! What is the speed for Amtrak in that area?
I don't know the answer to that question, specifically, but the ride just west of Detroit is incredibly slow.

A firetruck PARKS on active tracks and it's Amtrak's fault? Sigh! What is the speed for Amtrak in that area?
Who is blaming Amtrak? What I read makes it sound like folks think the firefighters (and cops) goofed by parking on the tracks. The cops were able to get their car out of the way in time but the firefighters were just a smidge too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back