Southwest Chief News & Future Operations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Google (sms safety policy)

In the merchant sailor business it a big three binder with policies on how to operate the ship safety. On some ships its a bible, on other it a cut and paste reference book gathering dust on the self.

Last edited by a moderator:
Safety Management Systems (SMS)

Safety Management System (SMS) is a comprehensive, collaborative approach that brings management and labor together to build on the transit industry’s existing safety foundation to control risk better, detect and correct safety problems earlier, share and analyze safety data more effectively, and measure safety performance more carefully. SMS is about applying resources to risk and is based on ensuring that a transit agency has the organizational infrastructure to support decision-making at all levels regarding the assignment of resources. Some key parts of SMS include:

Defined roles and responsibilities
Strong executive safety leadership
Formal safety accountabilities and communication
Effective policies and procedures
Active employee involvement
https://www.transit.dot.gov/regulations-and-guidance/safety/safety-management-systems-sms

https://www.transit.dot.gov/regulations-and-guidance/safety/safety-management-systems-sms-approach-strengthening-transit-safety

The following material is quoted here with enthusiastic permission of Ross Capon and Carl Fowler to inform everyone about certain facts regarding the Southwest Chief situation:

Ross Capon, the former Executive Director and President of NARP (now the Rail Passengers Association) and still working in semi-retirement with the American Association of Private Railway Car Owners (AAPRCO), has graciously allowed me to share a concise and devastating deconstruction of Amtrak's specious arguments for killing the SW CHIEF by bustitution from Dodge City to Albuquerque. Quoting Ross;

"Putting people in buses to ride over Raton Pass would worsen safety, not improve it. Some rail-to-bus and bus-to-rail transfer injuries are likely, especially among older passengers.

Amtrak claims SW Chief infrastructure capital costs are $100+ million over five years including $55m for PTC.

* The bulk of the $55m is not reasonable, per the above.

* $22.5 million (the non-Amtrak share of the latest TIGER grant) would become available if and when Amtrak releases its $3m. (NB: The total grant with the match which Amtrak has been witghholding is $25,189,000--Carl Fowler)

* This creates a dramatically more manageable scenario than Amtrak has portrayed.

Amtrak claims $3m operating costs -- as has been noted, this figure would be dwarfed by the combined impact of charter bus expenses and revenues lost due to the bus operation."

Further comment by Carl Fowler:

It is critical to note Amtrak's Pinnochio (of the growing nose as the lies spin) like handling of purported renovation costs here. In the slide show Richard Anderson presented to the Kansas, Colorado and New Mexico Congressional delegations, Amtrak offered an estimate of $30-50M in repair costs over Raton Pass. Now this grows to $100,000,000?

We can only presume they've added in the $55,000,000 for Postive Train Control (PTC) over territory that is legally exempted from PTC by the FRA. This is incredibly deceptive, as that expense is not reqauired either legally or to preserve safe operation, as Ross eloquently shows.

What we see from Ross Capton is the necessity on insisting that costs need to be broken down for each line item. It may be Mr. Anderson thinks like a private company executive that broad brushing is all he needs to show, That is also our belief that the reduction is daily and monthly stats is obfuscating Amtrak's true financial results.

Anderson's manifest dishonesty and routine lying means he really needs to be fired.
This has been the case for years at Amtrak. You'd have to do a full house clean to get different results.
Just because a lot of people do something bad does not mean that we shouldn't care that one of the people doing that most is also the most powerful person at Amtrak.

It's my best guess that Anderson simply did not realize and, in fact, had no idea how much vehement opposition his plans for the Chief would get. Now, he has to try and find a way to back down and still somehow "save face". If he cannot do that, I suspect that he might resign by the end of the year. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Regards,

FMC

I wonder if the notification given by Amtrak to the states constitutes the required 180 day notice. Actual posting of discontinuance notices at each station has to happen only 14 days before discontinuance.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/49/24706

I have no idea how all this is being interpreted and operationalized, and if it is or not. But just thought I would share this info with all y'all.

I wonder if the notification given by Amtrak to the states constitutes the required 180 day notice. Actual posting of discontinuance notices at each station has to happen only 14 days before discontinuance.

I have no idea how all this is being interpreted and operationalized, and if it is or not. But just thought I would share this info with all y'all.
I assume Anderson would say changing to a bus is not discontinuing service. Even if the service doesn't change at all, he has won the long game - things have been up in the air long enough that the Chief will have less ridership and less revenue, making it easier to cancel in the future.

It's my best guess that Anderson simply did not realize and, in fact, had no idea how much vehement opposition his plans for the Chief would get. Now, he has to try and find a way to back down and still somehow "save face". If he cannot do that, I suspect that he might resign by the end of the year. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Regards,

FMC
From your mouth to God's ear.

Well, considering they got the eastern extension of the Sunset dropped without it at all, it could be considered pretty much moot. Although it is officially just "suspended" but Amtrak has made no effort at to unsuspend it long after the route was repaired and Amtrak actually has been pretty resistant to reinstating it, insisting on calling a new service. So being "suspended" versus "discontinued" is a distinction without a difference.

It's my best guess that Anderson simply did not realize and, in fact, had no idea how much vehement opposition his plans for the Chief would get. Now, he has to try and find a way to back down and still somehow "save face". If he cannot do that, I suspect that he might resign by the end of the year. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next. Regards, FMC
Rather than back down Anderson seems more inclined to double down instead.

It's my best guess that Anderson simply did not realize and, in fact, had no idea how much vehement opposition his plans for the Chief would get. Now, he has to try and find a way to back down and still somehow "save face". If he cannot do that, I suspect that he might resign by the end of the year. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next. Regards, FMC
Rather than back down Anderson seems more inclined to double down instead.
Looks that way to me, too.

As long as the Board is not upset with him, he has absolutely no reason to do anything but carry on. The first real indication of how things are going would be how much of his performance based bonus he collects. Until then we have zero indication about anything.

Incidentally, it looks like according 49CFR the only party that can bring an action in court for violation of train termination rules against Amtrak is the Attorney General. I would be surprised if Sessions does anything of the sort, no matter what.
default_sad.png

I wonder just how the general ridership of Amtrak feels about all of this, as compared to advocate's...meaning organization's like RPA et al, as well as forum's like AU?

That may be the ultimate measure of whether Anderson remains in office, or not. While it is all very much in our thoughts, how many 'ordinary' Amtrak passenger's know about what is going on, or how much they are really concerned about it?
default_unsure.png

Regards,

FMC
Sorry, you think that Anderson might resign because there was more opposition than he expected to a suggested "route chopping" that didn't end up happening? Why?

As long as the Board is not upset with him, he has absolutely no reason to do anything but carry on. The first real indication of how things are going would be how much of his performance based bonus he collects. Until then we have zero indication about anything.

Incidentally, it looks like according 49CFR the only party that can bring an action in court for violation of train termination rules against Amtrak is the Attorney General. I would be surprised if Sessions does anything of the sort, no matter what.
default_sad.png
Didn't I read somewhere he's in hiding?
default_ohmy.png

It is being reported that NMRX has received funds from Uncle Sam to get PTC up and running, so this would be good news for Amtrak's operation in New Mexico. It would not surprise me to hear that Mr. Anderson is very annoyed with this turn of events.

It is being reported that NMRX has received funds from Uncle Sam to get PTC up and running, so this would be good news for Amtrak's operation in New Mexico. It would not surprise me to hear that Mr. Anderson is very annoyed with this turn of events.
Thanks for the notice.

This is what I was able to find thus far...

U.S. Representative Ben Ray Luján via house.gov said:
New Mexico Delegation Announces Nearly $30 Million for Rail Runner Safety Upgrade

August 21, 2018

DOT grant will help fund implementation of Positive Train Control (PTC) and keep Rail Runner running

WASHINGTON Today, U.S. Senators Tom Udall and Martin Heinrich and U.S. Representatives Ben Ray Luján, Steve Pearce, and Michelle Lujan Grisham announced that the Department of Transportation (DOT) has awarded the Rio Metro Regional Transit District $29,359,208 to fund the implementation of Positive Train Control (PTC) on the New Mexico Rail Runner Express commuter rail.

In June, the New Mexico delegation wrote to DOT in support of this grant, which will help enable the Rail Runner to comply with a federal safety mandate requiring the implementation of PTC. Without the grant, the Rio Metro Regional Transit District would have likely needed to cut service significantly on the Rail Runner to accommodate the cost of PTC.

The Rail Runner connects rural, Native, and urban communities in Central New Mexico, offering thousands of New Mexicans access to employment, education, health care and service opportunities,saidUdall. While Positive Train Control represents a critical safety upgrade, it also carries with it a high price tag that threatened to limit the essential service the Rail Runner provides to Central New Mexico. Im proud to have fought for this major investment, which keeps the Rail Runner running while ensuring the safety of those who ride it.

This major federal investment in the Rail Runner will ensure the train will continue to connect communities from Santa Fe to Belen, said Heinrich. I am proud to support the long term viability of reliable transportation alternatives like the Rail Runner and the Southwest Chief. These passenger trains help New Mexicans access work, education, and health care. They also link rural and tribal communities to our states major cities and tourism economy. As the Ranking Member on the Joint Economic Committee, I will continue to fight for 21st century infrastructure investments in all of our communities.

The Rail Runner provides a critical service for New Mexicans from Santa Fe and Albuquerque through Belen and Los Lunas. Hundreds of residents rely on this transportation to access their work, their doctors, and their education. This significant federal funding represents safety improvements for which New Mexicans otherwise would have had to pay a high price for, said Luján. I was proud to support Rio Grande Metro Regional Transit Districts application for this grant and Im pleased that the Department of Transportation chose to invest in Rail Runners ability to continue providing safe, reliable services to New Mexicans.

Implementing PTC on the Rail Runner will continue to ensure passenger and community safety for those that rely on it, said Pearce. This technology is federally mandated and able to monitor trains in real-time and stop collisions and accidents before they occur. I am pleased to see this grant coming to New Mexico to increase safety on the Rail Runner line and prevent disruptions in service due to compliance.

NMRX is part of a regional transit network that is integral to our states economy. It facilitates employment opportunities, connects our urban and rural communities, and helps ensure that New Mexicans have access to health care, higher education, and veteran services, said Lujan Grisham. This critical infrastructure grant will support NMRX s efforts to continue providing safe and reliable service to New Mexicans and tourists who depend on it every single day. I remain committed to revitalizing our transportation and infrastructure systems, securing funding for our states long-term needs, and helping our economy grow.

Each day, up to 16 one-way commuter trains follow a 100 mile corridor connecting Albuquerque to Santa Fe, Pueblos, Los Lunas, Belen, and rural communities in central New Mexico.
Link: https://lujan.house.gov/common/popup/popup.cfm?action=item.print&itemID=4835

Exactly. Things are not going his way - that's why I think he will resign. That is my best guess but not a prediction. Who knows at this point.

Regards,

FMC

Exactly. Things are not going his way - that's why I think he will resign. That is my best guess but not a prediction. Who knows at this point.

Regards,

FMC
Actually, we have no idea how things are going. In our echo chamber things are not going his way, that is certainly true. But the question is how big is our echo chamber, and does it matter what happens in it?

Regards,

FMC
So now you think he's going to resign because a commuter railroad might have gotten PTC funding? You're losing me, Fred.

Sounds like, to me, that he is getting his way. He wants the trains to be safe and now it looks like the SWC will be on safe tracks??

(I’m not following this drama as closely as many of you are so maybe I’ve misinterpreted some things).

Sounds like, to me, that he is getting his way. He wants the trains to be safe and now it looks like the SWC will be on safe tracks??

(I’m not following this drama as closely as many of you are so maybe I’ve misinterpreted some things).
Yeah, either it will be on safe tracks (which it already is in reality) or it will be even safer, as in not being there at all. Nothing is safer than a non-existent train
default_wink.png

Back