Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose they will use the same or similar process to what is specified for Acela Is.

Acela IIs are going to be even more interesting since their articulation will be using shared trucks (Jacobs bogies) like the TGVs, but then the French have been running their TGV network for decades now without any problem, including dealing with the full speed (186mph) derailment of a TGV Reseau set near Picardie TGV station on the LGV Nord Europa.caused by the collapse of part of the track into an old unknown trench dating back to the First World War. It apparently turns out that taking a train apart in the filed is such an uncommon thing that the exceptions, which are few and far between, can be handled as needed.

In case of Brightline the entire railroad is adjacent to a road and it should not take more that an hour (or at most two) or so to get a mechanical guy to wherever needed on the line from one of the two maintenance sites anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
IIRC, (many? all? of) the Midwest cars are essentially married pairs, like many rapid transit cars, while the California cars are semi-permanently coupled (6 or 7 car?) trainsets.
Right. I found the PowerPoint presentation http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents/NGEC_annual%20meeting%202018_CALIDOT%20presentation.pptx that shows it.

So I guess both are getting semi-permanently coupled cars, in some capacity.
The seven car California trainsets do have standard couplers for attaching the locomotives. There are also standard couplers on the cab car end. At least this allows locomotives to be standard.
Remembering videos of their cousins the Austrian Railjets, I think the Railjets also swap locomotives relatively easily.

Their intention is to keep the consists together when they are out on the road, and make any changes, including loco substitution, only at maintenance facilities, except I guess when things like derailment or collision recovery is involved.
How would that work in practice?

Would rescue / wrecking crews be instructed in how to unbolt the permanent couplers?

Or is there even some trick for an easy release?

Or would they just saw them through and let the workshop guys work out how to take it from there?
All of the above except we've been known to couple through the nose if necessary.

The Locomotive purchase contract that has Illinois Department of Transportation as the lead agency included an initial purchase for IDOT, Caltran, Missouri, Michigan, Washington and Wisconsin for corridor intercity trains. The contract also had options for about 70 additional locomotives. MARC and now the agency operating Coaster trains have been allowed to purchase some of the option locomotives.

Surfliner Chargers to work side-by-side with Chargers on Coaster trains. Five Chargers have been purchased for Coaster commuter train service along with an option for a few more.

https://www.railwayage.com/mechanical/locomotives/san-diego-siemens-chargers/
Wait, so Amtrak and Coaster are effectively cross honoring locomotives?
default_tongue.png

There are some rules for bidding on government contracts that allows government agencies to piggyback on other orders to get a more competitive price. Since there are currently unused options on the Siemens contract, other agencies like North County Transit District that operate Coaster can use those options instead of going out to bid on their own.

When that contract was done, they included options for both (75) commuter/corridor and (150) long distance versions...There has always been speculation about Amtrak and the LD options.

When that contract was done, they included options for both (75) commuter/corridor and (150) long distance versions...There has always been speculation about Amtrak and the LD options.
I’m willing to bet it’s more than speculation at this point. Amtrak’s new locomotive RFP is closed and they’ve expressed a desire to issue the contract soon. That being said, Siemens is the only company with an active production line that’s actually turning out a good product. Yes, the F125 is also available, but look at the sales. Absolutely dismal. GE just sold their transportation division to Wabtec, and the HSP46 or whatever it’s called is reportedly a nightmare mechanically.

The HSP46 doesn't meet Tier 4 standards. Assuming MPI responds to the RFP they would probably offer the MP54, which is currently in production for GO Transit.

HSP 46 is not rated to 125 mph, and it has too small a max HEP output as well as not meeting t-4. The 54 is interesting, because it has twin engines, but it would also need a speed rating upgrade, as well as a slightly larger HEP capacity. It may also be too tall in its current form to meet Amtrak requirements.

Slick looking locomotive. Didn’t know they were a part of the CalTrans and IDOT order.
The Chargers have been a pretty crucial part of CalTrans plan to modernize equipment pretty much from its inception. The F59PHIs and of course the P42s are all approaching the end of their service life and the Chargers are going to replace them.

Marc has been adding Marc logos on the nose of their chargers slowly. It looks way better then when they arrived.

http://railpictures.net/photo/663978/

Photo Credit to my good friend Matt Donnelly.
Oh wow. Way better. Looking at some "before and after" pics now, the Chargers looked pretty weird initially. Surprising how big a difference a little thing like that can make.

Surfliner Chargers to work side-by-side with Chargers on Coaster trains. Five Chargers have been purchased for Coaster commuter train service along with an option for a few more.

Slick looking locomotive. Didn’t know they were a part of the CalTrans and IDOT order.
Really? Where have you been? Under a rock?
I knew about the engine, I didn’t know that Coaster had taken up some of the options for their own operations.

Marc has been adding Marc logos on the nose of their chargers slowly. It looks way better then when they arrived.

http://railpictures.net/photo/663978/

Photo Credit to my good friend Matt Donnelly.
Oh wow. Way better. Looking at some "before and after" pics now, the Chargers looked pretty weird initially. Surprising how big a difference a little thing like that can make.
It was definitely odd to say the least. But the one thing that’s for sure was it needed something. And the Marc logo is perfect for it.

Really? Where have you been? Under a rock?
I knew about the engine, I didn’t know that Coaster had taken up some of the options for their own operations.
They just recently placed the order. That’s all. A few commuter agencies are doing the same.

The HSP46 doesn't meet Tier 4 standards. Assuming MPI responds to the RFP they would probably offer the MP54, which is currently in production for GO Transit.
Did you say, "MP54"?

To me, this is an MP-54....
default_biggrin.png

https://www.google.com/search?q=prr+mp54&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS739US739&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=p1eAcEBbasQMuM%253A%252C3Ul3x2RXM138hM%252C_&usg=__qRPPcNdyFT4tsYMqVH6yuijzSdQ%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjI6Jfmr6HcAhXvct8KHa0UDTMQ9QEIQDAC#imgrc=p1eAcEBbasQMuM:
This is actually an MP54:
default_mosking.gif

MP%2054%20STS.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back