Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh that's right! Ha. I forgot it was him.

Pvd- where did you detrain? Can you confirm that no lunch is offered on the Eastbound CL?

Oh that's right! Ha. I forgot it was him.

Pvd- where did you detrain? Can you confirm that no lunch is offered on the Eastbound CL?
He detrained in WAS and the train was running, I think 3 hours, late due to the downed tree in PA, and he said there was no lunch.

Ahh interesting. I was hoping they would serve a lunch on the CL since even when it's on time it's during lunch hours. Shame.

(It always annoyed me how every time I rode the Capitol it was a different rule enforced by each crew. One of the diner crews told me that the actual rule was they had to remain open until Harpers Ferry, regardless of the time. Not sure if that was actually the rule, but it seemed to make sense to me.)

I was interviewed by a line service manager about the meal service, and I did bring up the lunch question. She told me that they ran a long breakfast normally, but if the train was very late, they would offer sleeper passengers a simplified lunch service. (burger, veggie burger, hot dog) With the current setup, there isn't really anything to offer, no lunch is on board to offer.

Which is a major downgrade. Going from a simplified lunch (or, as was the case sometimes a "brunch") to "sorry we don't have anything to offer you"

and dump the rest.
Or maybe offer it to someone in need when you get off the train.
Just what I need. More crap to carry after I get off of the train to hand to some pan handler.
Haha! Exactly. "Oh Here's the greens from my salad and some non-skinned pototes I was served 14 hours ago. Enjoy!"
I've handed various items from my included sleeper meals to coach passengers before. Mainly canned drinks and desserts but sometimes salads or sandwiches and whatnot. Took all of five minutes and never had anything returned yet.

Yes, it is. I was told they are trying to work out a system to get food aboard down the line if they know the train will be very late early enough into the trip. Might not have helped us, it may have been too late into the trip when the delays piled on, but at least they are aware that it is a legit issue.

Beef stew with rice? Or KFC.

Oh wait the beef stew needs a cook...
What do you mean? Dinty Moore is canned and doesn't require much cooking at all. It's served when they can't get food to the train. So it doesn't really need a cook. And they don't choose one over the other. Sorry if I missed something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Late trains have (use to) carry beef stew, and bags of rice. If the train was very late, the dining crew would prepare a meal of Beef Stew on Rice for the passengers.

KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken) seem to be the go to place when the coolers fail on a train. So if your diner is unable to provide you a meal. KFC is a common replacement.

No cook on the Capital Limited due to the box meal plan, nobody to prepare a meal of Beef Stew for a late arrival in Washington DC.

Nice edit change your ? to a long drawn out statement.

I guess now they will have to carry jumbo bags of Lays, Cheetos and Beef Jerky or something like that as emergency ration.
default_unsure.png

and dump the rest.
Or maybe offer it to someone in need when you get off the train.
Just what I need. More crap to carry after I get off of the train to hand to some pan handler.
Haha! Exactly. "Oh Here's the greens from my salad and some non-skinned pototes I was served 14 hours ago. Enjoy!"
I've handed various items from my included sleeper meals to coach passengers before. Mainly canned drinks and desserts but sometimes salads or sandwiches and whatnot. Took all of five minutes and never had anything returned yet.
That is just the point. I wouldn't have to dump anything if I only took what I wanted. Amtrak needs to unbox the boxed meals. The SCA could take every ones order plus a dinner time. Passengers could walk to the diner car, hand over the order form to the "server" and he could box up the meal that you ordered. Everything is in closed containers already so it is just a matter of putting the chosen items into a serving box. This is already done with the drinks, Amtrak just needs to extend it to the food items.

On the CL, the SCA was trying to do some of that. He was filling out slips and bringing them to the diner so some advance work could get done and folks could just walk in and pick up. A single LSA had difficulty keeping up because drinks have to be prepared, some people want the meals on trays to sit with, some want tote bags, and the SCA has to run some back to peoples' rooms. Plus, because there is no control over when you can get food, 10 people can show up at once, as well as the pre order slips from the SCA and then no one for a half hour. At the same time, people walk in for comp non alcoholic beverages, or their free drink or wine.

On the CL, the SCA was trying to do some of that. He was filling out slips and bringing them to the diner so some advance work could get done and folks could just walk in and pick up. A single LSA had difficulty keeping up because drinks have to be prepared, some people want the meals on trays to sit with, some want tote bags, and the SCA has to run some back to peoples' rooms. Plus, because there is no control over when you can get food, 10 people can show up at once, as well as the pre order slips from the SCA and then no one for a half hour. At the same time, people walk in for comp non alcoholic beverages, or their free drink or wine.
Really don't like the sound of this.

Let's see what this looks like in a couple of months. They are observing, and asking, the listening and responding part is yet to be determined. So far I've had an interview with a manager on the train, and 2 e-mail surveys sent.

According to the 6/11 On-line Newletter from "Trains" ( details are hidden behind a Pay Wall) Amtrak plans to add "Hot" items to the Menus on the Cap and LSL.

No mention of just when or what items???

This looks better than a Fresh Choice AmBox on the CL/LSL!. The corridors get the attention and good stuff!

The New Corridor Café Menu Hungry travelers rejoice!

Were revamping the menu on our Acela Express and Northeast Regional trains to bring you healthier, gourmet options!

http://blog.amtrak.com/2018/06/new-corridor-cafe-menu/
Amtrak has posted the new cafe menu for the LSL and CL (https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Lake-Shore-Limited-Cafe-Menu-0618.pdf). It appears to be identical to the new Northeast menu, except without Boars Head branding and some slight price differences.

This looks better than a Fresh Choice AmBox on the CL/LSL!. The corridors get the attention and good stuff!

Were revamping the menu on our Acela Express and Northeast Regional trains to bring you healthier, gourmet options!

Amtrak has posted the new cafe menu for the LSL and CL (https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/projects/dotcom/english/public/documents/menus/routes/Lake-Shore-Limited-Cafe-Menu-0618.pdf). It appears to be identical to the new Northeast menu, except without Boars Head branding and some slight price differences.
It really would be so easy to offer passengers a complimentary hot meal from the cafe car, if they so choose. I just don't get why they haven't done that.

It really would be so easy to offer passengers a complimentary hot meal from the cafe car, if they so choose. I just don't get why they haven't done that.
I'd assume this is related to accounting and spoilage, but maybe they'll consider allowing it as part of the previously teased pre-travel meal selection option. Perhaps if you were willing to forgo the sleeper meal they'd allow you to exchange that benefit for a cafe credit.

That is an interesting upgrade that cafe menu. While I don’t care for the sleeping car meals I could supplement those with snack car food. On one or two trips on 449 between Boston and Albany, the LSA allowed me to substitute a cheeseburger from the cafe when I did not like the sleeping car meal. This was done seamlessly without fuss. Each time I offered to pay.

Except for the stadium/theater pricing, it is not a bad looking menu. A nice variety of offerings.

Recently traveled on the CL on the first weekend of the new dining format. I submitted some feedback, some complaints, some praise, and received this response from Amtrak that seems to confirm it is moving towards pre-selecting meals, etc., and other things speculated at here:

"Amtrak is introducing new dining options this summer on board these routes. Amtrak aims to provide a more sustainable approach that produces less waste while maintaining the quality that our passengers have come to expect. These new offerings are intended to provide a more contemporary food service and will contribute to improved financial performance on these routes. The existing café menu will continue to be available to all passengers. Customers purchasing premium service will have additional amenities including exclusive access to tables in the sleeper lounge or in the private comfort of our passenger’s accommodations. In the future, customers will be able to pre-select their meals prior to departure. Our new service will allow additional investment into these routes to further improve the passenger experience.

Customer comments will play an important role in how we offer our service and we will take your valuable feedback into consideration as we make future changes to the dining experience on our trains. Thank you for taking the time to write to us and we hope to see you on board soon."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back