Max cars per loco?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

norfolkwesternhenry

Lead Service Attendant
I am travelling on Via rails Canadian tonight, which has 26 passenger cars, and the consist says only two locomotives, (F40PH's), is this enough to pull it all the way over the rockies? Is there a similar system with Amtrak cars/locos, what is the approx ratio, because my TE only had one P42, and 8 cars, and these were Superliners, what is the ratio for Amfleet/Horizon, Amfleet/Horizon/Viewliner, and Superliners? Is amtrak just too "wimpy" to put less than two on some trains? I know more engines improves acceleration, but what about the fuel?

I am travelling on Via rails Canadian tonight, which has 26 passenger cars, and the consist says only two locomotives, (F40PH's), is this enough to pull it all the way over the rockies? Is there a similar system with Amtrak cars/locos, what is the approx ratio, because my TE only had one P42, and 8 cars, and these were Superliners, what is the ratio for Amfleet/Horizon, Amfleet/Horizon/Viewliner, and Superliners? Is amtrak just too "wimpy" to put less than two on some trains? I know more engines improves acceleration, but what about the fuel?
First of all, there is an advisable limit on HEP for the engines.Amtrak does not attempt to synchronize the HEP output of two engines, so you will not have two engines producing HEP. Under normal conditions, it is usually 18 cars, depending on the class of engine but more have been added during a disruption.

Secondly, the terrain and the speeds need to be considered. Some hosts request Amtrak to have additional power, particularly in the winter.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by "wimpy." If memory serves, you're like 13 or something so I'm going to guess you're not qualified on engines and know nothing about Amtrak's fleet plans which often call for train to have a certain amount of power for purposes of balancing, redundancy and terrain. Indeed, when you see multiple units on trains, there are strict instructions on when you can actually have more than one unit drawing propulsion. At all other times (unless there are prevailing conditions) additional units are isolated.

Although you buffs haven't appeared to comment (or notice) , the Lake Shore has been running around with a single unit for a few months and it has eleven cars. The Auto Train has lost engines enroute and made the run with one engine and 46 cars. However, it couldn't get out of its own way. Meanwhile, there is/was a 5 car set running around with two diesels in the 110mph territory to help achieve track speed in a timely fashion. That may have changed, though.

This video shows a single unit providing HEP to the entire train.

I'm just putting this here for safe keeping. Keep an eye on the eastern long distance trains. Change is likely to come to one of them in the not too distant future. :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
To add to your point, while at this time the Boston cars are coming up from NYP the LSL they are pulled by a single P-32DM until the P-42 comes on in Albany and that's got around 1000 less HP. It is, however, relatively flat Short trains with 2 units might be running in both directions without a cab car, like the new Florida trains will. If you use 50 kw as an estimate for HEP per car, you would get 900 kw at 18 cars which is just under the 1000kw rating, with a little room for safety. You very often here the number 16 cars, which would be 800kw like a Dash 8-32. If it is a really long train, remember ( for the education of the OP, not TR7, I know you know this) that you can't just tie units together because of phase synchronization requirements when power is sourced from multiple systems, you must either split the distribution between the 2 systems, or complicated paralleling gear is required. (not likely in a rail app)

First of all, there is an advisable limit on HEP for the engines.Amtrak does not attempt to synchronize the HEP output of two engines, so you will not have two engines producing HEP. Under normal conditions, it is usually 18 cars, depending on the class of engine but more have been added during a disruption.

Secondly, the terrain and the speeds need to be considered. Some hosts request Amtrak to have additional power, particularly in the winter.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by "wimpy." If memory serves, you're like 13 or something so I'm going to guess you're not qualified on engines and know nothing about Amtrak's fleet plans which often call for train to have a certain amount of power for purposes of balancing, redundancy and terrain. Indeed, when you see multiple units on trains, there are strict instructions on when you can actually have more than one unit drawing propulsion. At all other times (unless there are prevailing conditions) additional units are isolated.

Although you buffs haven't appeared to comment (or notice) , the Lake Shore has been running around with a single unit for a few months and it has eleven cars. The Auto Train has lost engines enroute and made the run with one engine and 46 cars. However, it couldn't get out of its own way. Meanwhile, there is/was a 5 car set running around with two diesels in the 110mph territory to help achieve track speed in a timely fashion. That may have changed, though.

This video shows a single unit providing HEP to the entire train.

Does not look too wimpy to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back