Best lunches near Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommylicious

OBS Chief
What are your favorite lunches near Penn Station? Budget isn't a concern just looking for good food.

If budget isn't a concern, they just opened a food hall in the old Borders space and just about everything I've tried so far has been amazing.

http://www.thepennsy.nyc/

If cost and time isn't a factor head over to Grand Central Terminal to the Oyster Bar!

Outstanding Sea Food @ New York Prices.
Now THAT is a great thought....I was only working close to Penn and Keen's ain't too shabby. I could drop two bills at the Oyster Bar in an hour. :eek:

If you have the time to go to either Grand Central or Rockefeller Center go to the Tri Tip. It's really good and the prices aren't horrible. My family ordered the roast once and it fed three of us comfortably and was very good. It's worth the trip

If you have the time to go to either Grand Central or Rockefeller Center go to the Tri Tip. It's really good and the prices aren't horrible. My family ordered the roast once and it fed three of us comfortably and was very good. It's worth the trip
Just a note on what a "tri-tip" is...originated in Santa Maria, CA. I lived in Pismo Beach for awhile and a tri-tip was the premier grilling choice. It finally moved east as most California things do. Really a succulent chunk of meat. So many choices, huh? Oh yeah, the restaurant is a good pick as well...sorry!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-tip

Last edited by a moderator:
The keys are day of the week, and time available. The list of good places in Manhattan is truly endless. I worked for many years in the Penn Station area, there are some really good hole in the wall or unknown places that cater to the people that work in the area, many are closed on the weekends, or at least on Sundays.

What are your favorite lunches near Penn Station? Budget isn't a concern just looking for good food.
If you can eat pizza, "NY Pizza Suprema" has been reviewed as the best pizza in all of New York City several times by several reviewers. Having eaten pizza there, I agree. It's kitty-corner from the southwestern entrance to Penn Station.

If you can eat pizza, "NY Pizza Suprema" has been reviewed as the best pizza in all of New York City several times by several reviewers. Having eaten pizza there, I agree. It's kitty-corner from the southwestern entrance to Penn Station.
I agree, I like pizza and usually cannot eat it because I am allergic to garlic. NY Pizza Suprema does not put garlic in their pizza sauce - and is really good pizza. Even my friends, that are used to having garlic in their pizza sauce, agree that it is great pizza.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, I like pizza and usually cannot eat it because I am allergic to garlic. NY Pizza Suprema does not put garlic in their pizza sauce - and is really good pizza. Even my friends, that are used to having garlic in their pizza sauce, agree that it is great pizza.
And I add a MASSIVE Thumbs Up. I was turned onto it a few years ago by the Club Acela Attendant.

Now if you have a little time, grab a MetroCard and head down to Katz's Deli at 205 E. Houston, but be sure to take the BIGGEST appetite you can conjure up!

Of course, when I'm there with my fiancee, it's a bit more complicated, since she can't eat dairy. We haven't found a really great dairy-free place near Penn Station yet.

NY Pizza Suprema may well be the best slice joint in NYC (it's not the best pizza place though but those places serve whole pies only and aren't close to Penn Station.) That said if time's an issue I'd go here hands down and even if it's not and I was craving pizza (which is often when I'm in NYC) I'd still go here.

Now, if you have time and are willing to travel towards Rockefeller Center and budget isn't an issue I'd go to Le Bernardin. Be warned it's expensive (3 Michelin stars.) I've been for lunch twice and had excellent meals both times. If given the choice between the Grand Central Oyster Bar or here, I'd go here.

I'll also vote for NY Pizza Supreme. Been there many times. The line is out the door during lunch but it moves fast.

I do enjoy lunch at Grand Central as well. The food court there is really something to experience.

Stella 34, the Italian-American Trattoria on the 6th floor of Macy's is very good, and has views overlooking the Empire State Building.

For a blast from the past use the restored elevators on the 6th Avenue/35th Street corner.

Ken

two things we can't get in chicago nearly as easily as NYC: kosher and chinese. kosher places will all be closed sat, so does anyone have a favorite chinese joint?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back