Silver Star sleeper update

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said elsewhere, this sort of solution would cause me to take the plane over the train.

While the dining car is not the greatest food out there, most of my experiences have been fairly good and I look forward to the social atmosphere and the meals.

Even when I cheap it in coach overnight, I make a point of getting my meals in a dining car. If there's no dining car, I can tell you right now I'm NOT going to settle for a reheated pizza in the cafe car.

For some this might work, but for me it would result in me taking my money to Southwest.

Had this been in effect for my travels last summer I would have flown.

Miami <--> Tampa roomette fares don't seem to have dropped much. I think they were pricing about $130 last time I looked. In June 2012, I paid $99 for MIA-TPA, $34 railfare and $65 for the accommodation charge, IIRC.

The new slumbercoach fare is $128. That's an $87 accommodation charge on the $41 railfare. No thanks, coach will do just fine.

For comparison to the Meteor, I looked at MIA-WTH on a random Wednesday in August. 92 prices at $127 and 98 is $208 ($168 accom charge). That seems way out of whack. Did they jack up 97/98 to make the new "lower" fares look even better? I hope someone with recent fare experience on 97/98 can chime in here.

Ok, I'm sliding into my love of operations, but...

I do honestly wish that if they were going to do the slumbercoach routine, they'd do it properly with a higher-density accommodation. On the other end of things, I do think that a sleeper-with-just-a-cafe routine would work for somewhat shorter runs (I'm thinking in the 8-14 hour range).

If I were a Tampanian, I'd be really angry. First, the availability of sleepers has just been reduced because shorter distance travelers are taking up the discounts when meals don't really matter. Meanwhile, if I travel from Tampa to New York, I'm either going to bus to Orlando or I won't get a meal because I can't wait 30 minutes in line for a burger.

They need the cafe car to be 24 hours, and they gotta figure out where to store extra food. What a disaster! I understand this may look great to folks between Orlando and NYP, but not happy for TPA and Lakeland folks (and let's not forget the folks between Savannah and Rocky Mount).

jis' reservation change is exactly what is WRONG with this change. There is no need for jis to take the Star over the Meteor, except to save over $300, R/T. The calling times at departure and arrival stations are not that far apart. But that takes space away from anyone wanting to take a sleeper from the Star's exclusive serving points. And for those who DON'T have choice will miss out on AGR redemption and food. It's over 24 hours from NYP to Tampa. A long time to go without real food.

Yes, folks do it in coach every day. But there is a segment of folks (Especially to/from FLORIDA!!!) who are a) willing to pay for the perks, and b) perhaps not as healthy to want to wait in line for food.

I would be interested to find out how much room is used to store food on Trans-Pacific flights.

I also still support Waffle House taking over the diner with their full menu AND crew and see if they can't turn a profit.

Last edited by a moderator:
meals delivered to their rooms upon request,
How is this going to work on the Star? When meals were included, the SA would simply get your choice of food from the Dinning Car and bring it to your compartment. But now that one has to pay for the food from the Café Car, do you just hand the SA cash? Your credit card?

I would be interested to find out how much room is used to store food on Trans-Pacific flights.
The trans-Pacific flight that I am somewhat familiar with is United's Newark to Hong Kong nonstop which is 15 hours and 55 minutes. I am very familiar with some trans-Atlantic flights of almost equal length like United's Newark - Mumbai, which is 15 hours and 25 mins (about 60 miles shorter than Hong Kong), and Newark - Delhi (100 or so miles shorter than Mumbai). All the food is stored in the two galleys on the 777. All storage is in preloaded standard food containers that are rolled on board from catering service trucks, and stashed into slots into which they fit exactly. Over that period two and a half meals are served to each passenger at their seat. The two full meals typically are a dinner and breakfast, and in Business First (50 seats) they are substantial meals. Dinner includes nuts with pre-dinner drink, appetizer, salad, main entree (4 choices, western, Asian, Vegetarian) served separately in sequence followed by, fruits and cheese and ice cream sundae with individual choice of toppings plus choice of wines, after dinner liquor, tea and coffee and a choice of soft drinks etc. Breakfast in BF is also substantial with three choices. The half meal consists of an open buffet with sandwiches, dessert (several choice), drinks and fruits, which remains in place for about 8 hours mid flight. Generally the mount of food served is more than I can consume in that period of time. The general description is from what was served to us on my flight to and from Mumbai from/to Newark within the last three weeks. In Economy (217 seats) the meals are standard pre-packaged dinner (3 choice) and breakfast (3 choice) plus mid flight snacks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could "bulk" storage of food be done in the baggage cars? Could the shiny new Viewliner baggage cars be outfitted with refrigeration and freezer units? The Café Car attendant could just pull the appropriate stock out of the baggage car, as needed, like before each major meal time.

If I were a Tampanian, I'd be really angry.
I will be going to wee my parents in St. Petersburg, across the bay, in June via the Star. If the dining car stays off, I do not see myself ever riding this line again, certainly not from NYP to TPA. Even for TPA to MIA, which I used to do when I lived in FL, I would just take a bus, since I can pack better food than the shlock in the "café".

If they rerouted the Meteor to Tampa, I could live with that. Until the do that or restore the diner to the Star, it's Southwest for my travel to TPA. I need some semblance of real food on a 24+ hour trip.

Some thanks for being the 3rd most used station in FL.

I guess Amtrak figures it can afford to alienate customers, particularly in Tampa, and lose business on the Star for several years (it'll take several years to recover from this, even if it ends promptly next January) in order to demonstrate to Mica that he's wrong about food service. :sigh: Expensive demonstration. Amtrak could have run a lot of additional service or made a lot of upgrades for the amount of money they're about to burn.

Hmm, looks like I might be able to get a good deal on the SS this fall if I decide to take a loop to the Gathering since no one else (except Jis) will be riding it. Assuming the SS's timing will meet my needs. :)

If they're going to seriously attempt this as a long-term "thing", they could arguably rip out a table or two and put in a storage unit (or, alternatively, somehow retrofit the luggage racks in the cafes...a lot of cafes do have them, and with some reinforcement and/or wiring work you could probably put storage/refrigeration units up there).

Really, it should not be hard to add a decent entree or two to the menu; I've also mentioned this before, but they could arguably offer the option to reserve a meal ahead of time as well so as to help with knowing what to pack (similar to the "Book the Cook" option that I believe Singapore offers).

Again...the issue isn't whether sleepers include meal service as a fixed item . I don't think that "bundle" has ever been that much of a big deal (the benefit of the sleeper space is the private room and/or the ability to lay flat). Rather, the issue is the general availability of food service on the train at an acceptable level. Remember, Amtrak can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that even with meal service included in the sleeper, 40-50% of diner traffic is generally from the coaches (and that is often actually limited by space availability...if a train is packed, you'll often get sleeper pax turned away from the diner).

What I would like to see Amtrak experiment with would be removing the inclusion of meals but not axing the diner in conjunction with the delivery of the Viewliner II sleepers. A decently-priced sleeper space sans meals ought to be spectacularly popular, which is the issue that Amtrak is (on purpose, rumor has it) confounding with the presence of the dining cars on the trains.

If I were a Tampanian, I'd be really angry. First, the availability of sleepers has just been reduced because shorter distance travelers are taking up the discounts when meals don't really matter. Meanwhile, if I travel from Tampa to New York, I'm either going to bus to Orlando or I won't get a meal because I can't wait 30 minutes in line for a burger.

They need the cafe car to be 24 hours, and they gotta figure out where to store extra food. What a disaster! I understand this may look great to folks between Orlando and NYP, but not happy for TPA and Lakeland folks (and let's not forget the folks between Savannah and Rocky Mount).

jis' reservation change is exactly what is WRONG with this change. There is no need for jis to take the Star over the Meteor, except to save over $300, R/T. The calling times at departure and arrival stations are not that far apart. But that takes space away from anyone wanting to take a sleeper from the Star's exclusive serving points. And for those who DON'T have choice will miss out on AGR redemption and food. It's over 24 hours from NYP to Tampa. A long time to go without real food.

Yes, folks do it in coach every day. But there is a segment of folks (Especially to/from FLORIDA!!!) who are a) willing to pay for the perks, and b) perhaps not as healthy to want to wait in line for food.

I also still support Waffle House taking over the diner with their full menu AND crew and see if they can't turn a profit.
Anger doesn't come close to describing my feelings about this, so much so, that I haven't been able to express myself on this subject before now.

How it affects us is that:

It would be stupid to take the star on an agr award so it requires a bus ride to/from Orlando and a bad arrival time in WAS/Tampa for me. Also if the meteor is running late getting lunch on board depends on which crew we get.

Doing some trial bookings, I don't see much $savings gained from loss of food service.

I try to never, ever, eat any food from the cafe car. If they would upgrade their menu to something like that offered on the cascades I would consider it.

So taking the star for a 22 hr. trip will require taking a cooler for food.

And.............

I will never hear the end of nagging from hubby and children about how much easier and quicker it would be to fly :angry2:

Again...the issue isn't whether sleepers include meal service as a fixed item . I don't think that "bundle" has ever been that much of a big deal (the benefit of the sleeper space is the private room and/or the ability to lay flat). Rather, the issue is the general availability of food service on the train at an acceptable level. Remember, Amtrak can't seem to wrap their minds around the fact that even with meal service included in the sleeper, 40-50% of diner traffic is generally from the coaches (and that is often actually limited by space availability...if a train is packed, you'll often get sleeper pax turned away from the diner).

What I would like to see Amtrak experiment with would be removing the inclusion of meals but not axing the diner in conjunction with the delivery of the Viewliner II sleepers. A decently-priced sleeper space sans meals ought to be spectacularly popular, which is the issue that Amtrak is (on purpose, rumor has it) confounding with the presence of the dining cars on the trains.
I am all for that. That would also force them to make the offerings in the Diner more attractive and better priced since there would be no captive users of it. At present because they believe that they have a bunch of hapless Sleeper passengers stuck with whatever they will dole out in the Diner, they have little incentive to improve anything. That is the reason that they tend to foolishly ignore the 40-50% and potentially more users from Sleepers

With the Dining Cars loosing money, how much "better priced" do you think the menu needs to be?

With the Dining Cars loosing money, how much "better priced" do you think the menu needs to be?
I think if they went back to not breaking out the salads and certain drinks from the entree orders the prices would be pretty reasonable. Maybe slightly on the high side, but I remember running the math and figuring that the price of a paid-for breakfast a few years back was a bit less than I'd pay at IHOP after taxes for about the same meal.

I also agree that they should add refrigerated storage space in the new baggage car.

Out of curiosity, just where are the commissaries located? If they added one in Savannah or Jacksonville, they could restock

I guess Amtrak figures it can afford to alienate customers, particularly in Tampa, and lose business on the Star for several years (it'll take several years to recover from this, even if it ends promptly next January) in order to demonstrate to Mica that he's wrong about food service. :sigh: Expensive demonstration. Amtrak could have run a lot of additional service or made a lot of upgrades for the amount of money they're about to burn.
This is what I was thinking.

A loyal customer base takes years of hard work to build up but can be destroyed at the sweep of a pen. And all this just to make a point?

This is an experiment. Maybe it will work,maybe it won't. People here are always calling for Amtrak to be innovative. Separating sleeper fares from food service (as was traditional on pre-Amtrak trains) may mean more people will ride in sleepers. Amtrak needs to think outside the box on the food service, however. Just running a cafe car won't cut it. Any change requires some kind of risk.

Separating sleeper fares from food service (as was traditional on pre-Amtrak trains) may mean more people will ride in sleepers.
I can't remember the last trip I took where there were even any sleepers available.

From where I sit (Los Angeles), the prices in the dining car aren't bad at all, for an elegant sit-down meal in a unique setting. What they need to improve is the quality and presentation. The dining car should feel like a nice restaurant, not a Denny's.

If storage space for extra food is really such a problem, why don't they re-stock at a convenient mid-route station? And why can't extra nonperishables be stored in the baggage car?

From where I sit (Los Angeles), the prices in the dining car aren't bad at all, for an elegant sit-down meal in a unique setting. What they need to improve is the quality and presentation. The dining car should feel like a nice restaurant, not a Denny's.

If storage space for extra food is really such a problem, why don't they re-stock at a convenient mid-route station? And why can't extra nonperishables be stored in the baggage car?
There aren't really any "convenient" mid-route locations for restocking. Contracts with suppliers and procedures are set up for economies of scale at the terminals. To open up new intermediate ones will add a lot of cost - and delay the train.

As far as storing food, even non-perishables, in the baggage car, wouldn't that add a whole new level of inspection and cleanliness requirements? After all, since the inside of a baggage car is open to the weather at baggage handling stops, there's no way to keep that stuff from getting covered with dust, at least. And how do you maintain inventory control in an open baggage car? I suppose the new baggage cars could be retrofitted with locked and sealed food storage lockers, but that adds more cost as well.

There are no simple solutions to this mess.

jb

From my own observations on the Carolinian, there already is a supplies storage problem. Two booths are routinely taken up with storage of dry goods such as napkins, plastic-ware, cardboard box-trays, etc...

Don't see where extra anything is going to be stored in the single cafe on the Silver Star during this experiment.

jb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back