Location of bus drop in SF

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jax

Hi! I am new to the forum...and new to travel by train! My family and I are heading on the California Zephyr from Chicago to San Francisco in September and are very excited! (We have booked a family room.) Our trip on the train concludes at Emeryville and then we are headed on the Amtrak bus to San Francisco Fishermans Wharf area. Does anyone know where the bus actually lets you off in Fishermans Wharf? Thanks for any help!

It's right at a bus/taxi lane in front of Pier 39. The bus drops people off directly in front of Aquarium of the Bay.

amtrakthruway_mci365_pier39_mar212008.jpg

Also - if you have checked luggage, the Ferry Building stop (SFC) might be better since they handle all that, especially if you're over size/weight limits for carry-on or simply want to max out your luggage (two checked-in and two carry-on). They have a staffed station building there, which I found odd since it's technically only a bus stop.

Thanks so much for the super speedy replies! That helps out a lot! We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express so was just looking at a map to see if it is easily walkable!

By the way, I don't think they use those particular buses any more. The time I took a connecting bus into SF from Emeryville, the bus was a shiny Van Hool with electronic signs. It was flashing through the bus number along with all the stops. Definitely match the bus number, since there are typically two or three different buses that are have different routes when they arrive in San Francisco.

HI, I´m also new

Im going to TAHOE lake, and land on SF intl airport

IF the flight lands at 11:15 AM and my bus gets out from FERRY BUILDING AT 12:55 p.m.

Will I arrive with the DART?

I know its difficult, but I havent got other option

thanks very much

Dear Guest, You might want to see how far your hotel is from the Wharf drop off. Walking can be fun but if the train is very late and you are your family are walking in the dark of the night, you may want to know what kind of neighborhood that particular area is before you choose to "hoof" it. Rather be safe than sorry. I can't help you out with what kind of neighborhood it is, but I have seen some stations in very rough neighborhoods that aren't good for walking in other than to a car.

HI, I´m also new

IF the flight lands at 11:15 AM and my bus gets out from FERRY BUILDING AT 12:55 p.m.

thanks very much
I'd be shocked if you could pull it off, but it's not impossible. If your flight is on time, and you don't have to claim bags you could probably be on the BART platform at 11:40-11:45. According to Google it's 42 minutes from the airport to the Ferry Building including walking time of 7 minutes. It appears there's a BART train that leaves every 15 minutes (06/21/36/51 past the hour). So as long as you're on that 11:51 train you should be ok, if you don't make it til the 12:06 train you'd be close. Be ready for a BART fare of $8.65.

HI, I´m also new

thanks very much
I'd be shocked if you could pull it off, but it's not impossible. If your flight is on time, and you don't have to claim bags you could probably be on the BART platform at 11:40-11:45. According to Google it's 42 minutes from the airport to the Ferry Building including walking time of 7 minutes. It appears there's a BART train that leaves every 15 minutes (06/21/36/51 past the hour). So as long as you're on that 11:51 train you should be ok, if you don't make it til the 12:06 train you'd be close. Be ready for a BART fare of $8.65.
I'd take a taxi. It also depends on which arrival terminal/gate and if there's customs involved. If it's an international flight, I'd say forget it.

The issue would be that there's way too much that could be unpredictable, including luggage, customs, weather, mechanical issues, etc.

Taxi fare from SFO to the Ferry Building will be in the range of $50.00. If the plane is the least bit late, take a taxi. BART would be a little iffy with this sort of time gap. They do sometimes have delays.

I don't think it will matter whether you have checked baggage or not so far as the bus to the Ferry building is concerned, but I would ask. checked baggage is put on the lower level of the bus, of course, but you larger carry ons will be there also. The Ppier 39 area is very touristy but it is not a bad area. Plenty of people, most of them tourists or just locals out for the evening.

I would concur with taking a taxi. If the flight happens to be early by 15-20 minutes I'd consider taking BART, however, the guest asking the question doesn't mention what terminal they are coming into at SFO, whether the incoming flight is domestic or international or if they will have checked baggage on the plane. As BART is located at the international terminal, if for example the arriving flight is coming in at Terminal 2 there will be a bit of a walk to get to the train. As the 12:55 bus to EMY is the way to get to the last train/ambus combo to Reno taxi is the safest way to get there to make the bus to EMY.

I would concur with taking a taxi. If the flight happens to be early by 15-20 minutes I'd consider taking BART, however, the guest asking the question doesn't mention what terminal they are coming into at SFO, whether the incoming flight is domestic or international or if they will have checked baggage on the plane. As BART is located at the international terminal, if for example the arriving flight is coming in at Terminal 2 there will be a bit of a walk to get to the train. As the 12:55 bus to EMY is the way to get to the last train/ambus combo to Reno taxi is the safest way to get there to make the bus to EMY.
International terminal generally means dealing with customs, although I have been on domestic flights departing from there (plane came from Mexico). I'm thinking a taxi will be the best option because they're available from all terminals without walking between terminals or using AirTrain. Although BART is at the international terminal, customs and baggage claim can eat a huge chunk of time.

The timing is way too tight.

This drop off at San Francisco is a sore point for me. Forgive me if you consider this as a rant.

When I was on the CZ during the Winter of 2002, the train arrived very late at Emeryville. The bus transfer to the Amtrak station in San Francisco went well. But, upon arrival the station was closed. No one was there. No taxis were present. No assistance for getting to one's destination from that point was available. Thankfully, there was a restaurant nearby. Dragging my luggage behind me, I went to that restaurant--very late at night--and asked if someone could call me a taxi. (No cell phone at that time. This is in 2002!) Gratefully, the Manager did, a taxi arrived and took me to my hotel.

I have NEVER understood why that station in San Francisco did not remain open in order to receive those of us who were so late in arriving on the CZ.

HI, I´m also new

thanks very much
Yes thanks very much, I was pointing to that

just in case I´d have to sprint with the suitcase, today I went jogging

First flight arrives to Miami, and from there to SFO. I hope the international customs will be in Miami, but I don´t know.

I´,m going with a handbag.

I didn want to take a taxi because the price, and because I thought that by train it takes the same time or faster (without lights)

but if I have no other option.

I see its gonna be difficult, just in case I´m looking for car ridesharing..

Thansk to all, I appreciate so much help

First flight arrives to Miami, and from there to SFO. I hope the international customs will be in Miami, but I don´t know.

I didn want to take a taxi because the price, and because I thought that by train it takes the same time or faster (without lights)

Yes, you will clear customs at Miami.

Yeah - you always have to clear customs at the first place you land. I don't know of many international flights that enter the US then continue on to another point in the US. That's no longer done for some reason.

As far as I can tell, the only weekday possibility for the schedule you describe is the 6632 bus (SFC-EMY), Capitol Corridor 532 (EMY-SAC), and 3534 bus (SAC-TRU). Total time is about 6 hours. There's no actual Amtrak bus stop in Lake Tahoe per se. Truckee is about as close as you'll get and it sounds like this is where you're going since the only stops on the bus route anywhere near Lake Tahoe are Truckee or Reno. I'm getting a total "value" fare of $50.

Another option with more time (and lower fare) is Greyhound. The 8312 bus goes San Francisco-Oakland-Sacramento-Colfax-Truckee (same bus) in just under 5 hours and leaves at 4:15 PM. That would give you a lot more time just in case you can't make it, and maybe even a little time in San Francisco (the Ferry Building is great). One issue with BART if you're in a hurry is that you can exit at the wrong place and take up several minutes getting where you need to be. I know my way around the (underground) Embarcadero BART station and could get to the Ferry Building quickly, but someone who has never been there might get off at Fremont Street and then have to navigate 4 city blocks including traffic lights. There's also the issue of finding where the Amtrak bus stop is. I know where it is, but newcomers often have to ask because it can be hard to spot.

https://www.greyhound.com

Greyhound is showing me anywhere from $30 to $44.50 for San Francisco to Truckee. The station is a long 3 block walk from the Embarcadero BART station.

There are actually 3 Thruway bus stops in the South Lake Tahoe area:

• South Lake Tahoe, CA — Bus Stop (SLT) (1000 Emerald Bay Road, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96151)
  • Stateline, CA — Transit Center Bus Stop (SLH) (4114 Lake Tahoe Blvd, Stateline, CA 96150)
  • Stateline, NV - Kingsbury Bus Stop (SLN) (169 Highway 50, Stateline, NV 89449)
All three are served by bus 3534 (that connects to 6632/532 and departs San Franciso at 7:10am) and that departure doesn't really line up with the guest's travel plans.

So I'm guessing our guest is actually going to Truckee on the north side of the lake... since there *is* a 12:55pm departure from San Francisco that will take you to Truckee.

battalion51's math checks out... you *can* make it... but it's gonna be very close. If your trip is more than a couple of weeks away... another time saving option is to buy a Clipper card online and have it shipped to you. The card costs $3... but it will save you the frustration of dealing with BART's horrible ticket vending machines.

Greyhound is a great backup option if you don't make it.

Last edited by a moderator:
>you always have to clear customs at the first place you land

Arriving into the USA, other countries are different.

> I don't know of many international flights that enter the US then continue on to another point in the US. That's no longer done for some reason.

Qantas flight QF107/108, Sydney -Los Angles-NYC (JFK) & return daily, but I must admit it's the last one AFAIK. It survives simply because Sydney to NYC is simply too far for today's aircraft

So I'm guessing our guest is actually going to Truckee on the north side of the lake... since there *is* a 12:55pm departure from San Francisco that will take you to Truckee.

battalion51's math checks out... you *can* make it... but it's gonna be very close. If your trip is more than a couple of weeks away... another time saving option is to buy a Clipper card online and have it shipped to you. The card costs $3... but it will save you the frustration of dealing with BART's horrible ticket vending machines.

Greyhound is a great backup option if you don't make it.
I've got too many Capitol Corridor discount tickets, so I almost never use Clipper for BART. The $10 amount may be too small and I don't like ending up with small residual amounts. I once actually combined some of these tickets, but the ticket exchange didn't have more than $16 tickets. Still helps when parking is accounted for. I've done the math in my head for how to use the tickets with as little remaining value (or maybe as little addfare) as possible.

I saw the schedule and figured it wasn't South Lake Tahoe. I couldn't find any station stops elsewhere around Lake Tahoe, but I was only looking briefly through the schedule.

I frankly wouldn't have made a reservation for Amtrak to Truckee given how tight it will be to get in by BART. Even by taxi a flight delay will make it impossible. And if there's a bus breakdown or other issue, they're probably not going to delay Capitol Corridor by more than a few minutes. I know buses will wait for a late train, but I doubt it works the other way around.

I'd just take Greyhound. Spending 3 hours around the Ferry Building before walking to the Greyhound depot isn't that bad and there's more certainty. The OP mentioned very little luggage (said "handbag" but I'm guessing probably a rolling carry-on bag). I see lots of people walking through San Francisco with rolling luggage, and lots of them seem to be locals working in the office buildings.

I noticed that Miami is your port of entry. If you've never had the pleasure, MIA immigration & customs can be quite a long ordeal. I hope that you've allowed for at MINIMUM a two hour layover.

I saw the schedule and figured it wasn't South Lake Tahoe. I couldn't find any station stops elsewhere around Lake Tahoe, but I was only looking briefly through the schedule.

I frankly wouldn't have made a reservation for Amtrak to Truckee given how tight it will be to get in by BART. Even by taxi a flight delay will make it impossible. And if there's a bus breakdown or other issue, they're probably not going to delay Capitol Corridor by more than a few minutes. I know buses will wait for a late train, but I doubt it works the other way around.

I'd just take Greyhound. Spending 3 hours around the Ferry Building before walking to the Greyhound depot isn't that bad and there's more certainty. The OP mentioned very little luggage (said "handbag" but I'm guessing probably a rolling carry-on bag). I see lots of people walking through San Francisco with rolling luggage, and lots of them seem to be locals working in the office buildings.
I agree, if Alberto is going to Truckee and not South Lake Tahoe... Greyhound is the better option.

The trip is almost a full hour shorter (4H, 55M on Greyhound vs. 5H, 50M on Amtrak) and there are no transfers required. If Alberto's flight arrives early he will actually get a couple of hours to explore San Francisco before having to catch the bus. Plus, San Francisco has a nice and fairly new Greyhound station as does Sacramento (where the bus has a 25 minute layover).

PS: I know that this is an Amtrak forum, but I believe in recommending the best option and in this case it's not Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back