What's the deal with menus nowadays?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally, modern menus only exhibit a digit, and omit the useless $ sign.

Hamburger 7

Rather than the over named:

Hamburger $7.00 [very Weather Channeish]
Its actually a marketing tool. Your brain see's the $ sign as cost, by removing it you making it less of a cost thought process and more of a value process. Some places take this even a step further and write it out as "Seven". I only know this because I went to a wine seminar which is where this concept originated as seen on wine menus.

The reason we put that $ in front is to assure you that its in USD.
The "$" symbol is in no way the equivalent of "USD." The reason names such as United States Dollar exist in the first place is because the term "dollar" and even the "$" symbol are inherently ambiguous distinctions to begin with.

Every time I see this thread I read the name like a standup comedian is saying it. Amtrak has improved their food in certain areas, and that's great, but the problem when riding long distances is that it's the same food over and over again. As the journey continues I spend less and less time in the diner, partly because it's impossible to burn more than a few calories per day lounging around on a train, but mostly because I simply get tired of eating the same thing over and over again.
This is exactly why I asked my original question. Simply having different menus eastbound and westbound was a huge improvement. If I'm having 4 AmLunches in a row on the way out and 4 AmLunches in a row on the way back, I'm going to get awfully tired of the AmBurger, the AmChili, and the AmSalad. Sure, there are other items on the menu, but offering alternatives always helps and makes each trip feel different.

Hamburger 7

Hamburger $7.00
And for those of you deeply involved in the menu price argument, I'm glad you clarified things. For a minute there, I thought the numbers were how late the train was going to be: "If you order the burger, we're going to be 7 hours late, but if you order the salad, we'er going to be 8 hours late."
But on the whole, I don't see anything wrong with the dollar sign. Yes, printing signs without the dollar sign is more modern. However, I don't like modern. I don't like modern air transportation, or modern food - I'll keep my old, un-modern menus.

The fact is that the more you try to make each route have different things, the more it costs. Yes, you may get sick of the food after a while, I get that. But I'd rather take that than having other things cut. Remember 2006? You don't want that to happen again! Hopefully things will loosen back up, but to frequent travelers I can see how it was one step forward and two steps back..

As for the price argument, I think giving the menus a little more modern feel couldn't hurt too much.

Clearly Amtrak saves money on printing cost by omitting superfluous punctuation.

"How many $$ can we save if we omit the $ sign?"

On one trip the LSA explained to me it actually costs MORE to use and throw away the Disposable Wear than to staff the Diner with a Dishwasher and use china. Plus you have that much more crap that has to be periodically hauled off the train and landfilled.
I'm not going to say definitively whether china or plasticware costs more, but in general, I doubt an LSA would actually know the true numbers. An LSA knows how to account for foodstock and revenue, but they're not going to know the total carrying costs of one FTE (full-time-equivalent) on every train on a route for an entire year, including overhead costs (benefits costs, extraboard costs to replace someone who marks off, training costs, etc.). It's doubtful they would even know the exact amount Amtrak pays for the plastic or china.
As I understand it... the personnel costs for the dishwasher were assigned to the dining car, while the costs for the extra garbage collection are assigned to train operations. By doing that losses in the dining car were reduced (what Congress wants)... even if total costs stayed the same or went up.

Last edited by a moderator:
On one trip the LSA explained to me it actually costs MORE to use and throw away the Disposable Wear than to staff the Diner with a Dishwasher and use china. Plus you have that much more crap that has to be periodically hauled off the train and landfilled.
I'm not going to say definitively whether china or plasticware costs more, but in general, I doubt an LSA would actually know the true numbers. An LSA knows how to account for foodstock and revenue, but they're not going to know the total carrying costs of one FTE (full-time-equivalent) on every train on a route for an entire year, including overhead costs (benefits costs, extraboard costs to replace someone who marks off, training costs, etc.). It's doubtful they would even know the exact amount Amtrak pays for the plastic or china.
As I understand it... the personnel costs for the dishwasher were assigned to the dining car, while the costs for the extra garbage collection are assigned to train operations. By doing that losses in the dining car were reduced (what Congress wants)... even if total costs stayed the same or went up.
I don't think the expense of extra trash is that significant. The greater expense is the plasticware.

Correct, they were rearranging the deck chairs, but the ship was still sinking.

I don't think the expense of extra trash is that significant. The greater expense is the plasticware.
It's not monumental, but it is significant. A diner that might have dropped off 3 or 4 bags of trash before is now dropping off 8 or 9 each day, each way.

Now throw in the costs of the plasticware on top of that.

But the biggest problem that at least to me it seemed no one considered, was the loss of revenue. They only looked at cutting costs, but didn't stop to think about what the reduced number of patrons in the car would do to revenue.

Is there any study of the impact on revenue as a result of moving from China to faux-China to plasticware? Anecdotally at least I seem to see the Diners ever more full these days than I have seen in many years. Perhaps that is simply because there are more people taking the train?

Is there any study of the impact on revenue as a result of moving from China to faux-China to plasticware? Anecdotally at least I seem to see the Diners ever more full these days than I have seen in many years. Perhaps that is simply because there are more people taking the train?
First, it wasn't because of the plasticware that revenue dropped off; but rather SDS which just so happened to include plasticware. And there wasn't an official one; but I did an informal set of calculations based upon the seating capacities of the old "fill up the dining car" practice as compared to the "let's seat only 2 or 3 tables at a time because we don't have enough staff to serve them" practice that came with SDS.

And that, assuming both practices saw largely full tables; then the loss was significant.

Finally, modern menus only exhibit a digit, and omit the useless $ sign.

Hamburger 7

Rather than the over named:

Hamburger $7.00 [very Weather Channeish]
Nah! That's the Yuppie "We are a cool restaurant" way of listing prices. That and the sillier "3.5" instead of $3.50.
I have to say I agree. A restaurant I know went to that sort of notation, and at the same time (a) raised their prices, (b) cut their menu options, and © no longer served a potato or other starch with a dinner without additional charge.

I take the restaurant menus that just say "7" or "17.5" or "35" as a price (yeah, saw a 35 once, at a place that served steaks, and the salad and potato were extra) are telling me I'm gonna pay through the nose.

35 for steak at a good steak house that ages and cuts their own, is about right. Had the 55 small porterhouse at Gibsons in Chicago (still a full 26 oz! the Large is 48oz and priced at 99) and add apps, salad, sides, and wine it was well over $100 per person, but, it was worth every penny! Also recommend Gene and Giorgetti, also in Chicago. The bone in filet is fantastic!

Now I want steak when I get to Chicago instead of Giordanos! Not sure the "Amtrak Signature Steak" will cut it now....decisions decisions....

Just returned from Travel on the Sunset Limited. We were in the sleeper so we ate in the dining car (All Included In Sleeper) We only took the train one way, so I can't vouch for westbound menu, but we were all surprised at how good the food was. Yes it was all served on plastic with disposable paper table cloth, but the LSA, Jason and server Alice Wong (79 years old and 35 years with Amtrak) made each meal a joy.

Now on the second day, they did run out of many of the items on the menu for lunch and dinner. My guess is that they only serve what they upload at Los Angeles and New Orleans. If your going to have steak, you NEED to have it the first dinner. None are left by the second day. The steak was actually really GOOD!! So were the sides. Everyone in our party were quite surprised at how tender and flavorful the "Amtrak Signature Steak" was.

IMG_0115 by seat38a, on Flickr

IMG_0117 by seat38a, on Flickr

IMG_0156 by seat38a, on Flickr

IMG_0159 by seat38a, on Flickr

P1000085 by seat38a, on Flickr

Some more pictures form the dining car aboard the Sunset Limited. On our train, the volume of people seemed to be light. Only half of the dining car was used and even then not all the tables were fully booked.

P1000059 by seat38a, on Flickr

I read somewhere before that sleeping car passengers could have their dessert a la mode. I asked for a la mode and got it no extra charge.

P1000062 by seat38a, on Flickr

P1000226 by seat38a, on Flickr

Unused Half

IMG_0111 by seat38a, on Flickr

The used half

IMG_0113 by seat38a, on Flickr

They put funfetti sprinkles on the cheesecake and chocolate mousse? I've never seen that before. Were you traveling on your birthday or something?

I like the way they arranged the strawberries and orange slices too.

Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen a half-used dining car. Mostly it's packed to the gills.

Just returned from a cross county trip... San Francisco to Washington, DC via roomette on the CZ and the Capital Limited. Our meals were excellent - certainly as good as it has ever been on any previous trips on Amtrak over the past ten years, if not better.

I was amazed at how good each meal was. I liked the new addition of Kung Pao Chicken at lunch, and the new catfish dinner item. Both were really good. The Signature steak was also quite good. The rice and vegetables were also delicious. Great deserts too... No complaints.

Just returned from Travel on the Sunset Limited. We were in the sleeper so we ate in the dining car (All Included In Sleeper) We only took the train one way, so I can't vouch for westbound menu, but we were all surprised at how good the food was. Yes it was all served on plastic with disposable paper table cloth, but the LSA, Jason and server Alice Wong (79 years old and 35 years with Amtrak) made each meal a joy.
Alice Wong's a hoot! She was our server on our last Sunset trip. It was Memorial Day, and she had put these little American flag centerpieces on each table, and had hand made little flag pinwheel clips that she gave to my kids. If I had to guess, I would say that those confetti sprinkles you got are entirely her doing as well.

:cool: Great to hear that everyone is enjoying their "Gourment First Class" Meals in the Diners! John Mica will have a Fit! :p (maybe he Won't get Re-elected when the Good People of Florida realize what a Phoney he is! )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back