ACS-64 Testing Begins

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rickycourtney

Conductor
Testing has officially begun for the new Siemens ACS-64 Amtrak Cities Sprinter electric locomotives.

Here's a quote from Amtrak's official press release :

Two locomotives are at the TTC facility to undergo a series of tests, including maximum speed runs, acceleration and braking, operating with Amtrak passenger coach cars attached and testing the overall performance capabilities of the locomotive. Engineers are also validating the on-board computer system and software, as well as evaluate ride quality by using instruments to measure things such as noise and wheel vibrations.
The full press release is located here.

This is taking place at the Transportation Technology Center (TTC) in Pueblo, Colorado. (In case you're wondering... yes, this is why Amtrak ran a special to Pueblo over the weekend.)

Siemens has also produced some new video showing the testing taking place. You can watch it here (it's pretty cool to see the ACS-64's flying across the desert with 8 Amfleet's in tow.)

There's also a few more pictures here on Amtrak's All Aboard! Blog.

Last edited by a moderator:
Siemens has also produced some new video showing the testing taking place. You can watch it here (it's pretty cool to see the ACS-64's flying across the desert with 8 Amfleet's in tow.)
There's also a few more pictures here on Amtrak's All Aboard! Blog.
There is some fun video on the Siemens link of the ACS-64 with 8 Amfleets in tow. And the PR videos of Boardman and FRA administrator Szabo talking about how important the testing and new locomotives are. Nice bug splatter on the front of the ACS-64 behind Boardman. Ah, they started out so clean.
The Siemens page states: "A fourth locomotive will be tested in a climate-controlled chamber to determine how well it performs in extreme heat and cold temperatures." Need a big chamber with a track for that test. Anyone know where this would be done? At the Pueblo facility?

I hope the hot conditions tests includes 105 degrees F at 85% humidity to make sure the ACS-64 can handle the worse of NEC sauna bath weather. Will take many years to replace the catenary, but it would be preferable to have electric locomotives that can handle the summer heat waves w/o breaking down.

Very nice videos!

I would guess 604 will be the climate control unit. I can tell you that Septa's SL V's went to Canada for the climate control testing.

Now that testing has been going on at TTCI when does NEC testing begin??

But a brand new unit already has some serious bug splatter on it! :p

Very nice videos!
I would guess 604 will be the climate control unit. I can tell you that Septa's SL V's went to Canada for the climate control testing.

Testing on NEC begins day-after-tomorrow.

Very nice videos!

Testing on NEC begins day-after-tomorrow.
Great news! :)

On a side note where will the testing process be based?

The LED ditch lights look so surreal on a full-sized locomotive. It really is nothing more than a giant model locomotive now! :p

Really, it is nice to see the new locomotives under their own power and at track speed!

The LED ditch lights look so surreal on a full-sized locomotive. It really is nothing more than a giant model locomotive now! :p
They look fantastic and I believe the headlights are LED too.

It's interesting that the new bi-level cab cars ordered by California and the Midwestern states will use incandescent headlights and ditch lights... but LED lights everywhere else. I wonder if Amtrak will start replacing locomotives with LED lights if these are successful.

I could be wrong... but I believe the testing will be based out of Amtrak's electric locomotive shops in Wilmington, DE. That's where 602 is right now.

They look fantastic and I believe the headlights are LED too.

It's interesting that the new bi-level cab cars ordered by California and the Midwestern states will use incandescent headlights and ditch lights... but LED lights everywhere else. I wonder if Amtrak will start replacing locomotives with LED lights if these are successful.

I could be wrong... but I believe the testing will be based out of Amtrak's electric locomotive shops in Wilmington, DE. That's where 602 is right now.

Wilmington is correct.
Thanks for the confirmation.

Wow! CONGRATS to Amtrak and to us all, on what will be the largest procurement of electric locomotives in the 42 year history. We all hope they work well, and so far it seems like Siemens built a winner. Bittersweet to see the AEM7's go, they, along with their F40 diesel cousins, enabled Amtrak to impress with a punch, rail people and adversaries alike.

Someone once said that they only thing a pair of AEM7's or F40's can't pull is a doomed soul out of hell, and even THAT they have some capability. The ACS64's, which look similar to their 30 yr old predecessors, will now be the worthy carriers of the torch. Godspeed to them and all who work with them!!!

They look fantastic and I believe the headlights are LED too.It's interesting that the new bi-level cab cars ordered by California and the Midwestern states will use incandescent headlights and ditch lights... but LED lights everywhere else. I wonder if Amtrak will start replacing locomotives with LED lights if these are successful.
I would expect so. LEDs last 5-10 times as long as incandescents and use something like 1/10 the electricity -- you would want to use them whereever possible.

Since the engine can produce 8,400 HP, shouldn't it's name be ACS-84?
6.4 Megawatts (which is roughly the same as 8400 HP), Hence 64.
The naming convention is rather strange. The current electric locomotives are named after their horsepower... not their kilowatt output.

The AEM-7 has 7,000 horsepower (really it's 6,800 hp, rounded up)... and HHP-8 translates to High HorsePower 8000.

But I guess kilowatts are technically a better way of gauging the power output of an electric locomotive.

I also found two new videos apparently from someone who has access at Pueblo.

A brand-new, quick video - from late last night in Morrisville, PA, footage of Amtrak's brand new ACS 64 "Cities Sprinter" engine testing on the Northeast Corridor in the dark of night - enjoy!!

A little over 2 minutes and that unit hit 100MPH. That's impressive!
Quite impressive.

On the 2nd video, can anyone make sense/explain the other "gauges" on the display - the speedo is obvious - but what are the others showing? Per chance is the far left bar graph current incoming off the lines [even when I full-screen and stop the vid, trying to read the units or titles is about impossible]. Anyone with a better understanding of what needs to be displayed, and better eyes would help. Also, how/where was the 125mph limit/desired speed set/programmed in? Or was that done by hand in realtime?

as always: many thanks - greg

I'm not sure what the gauges are, the bottom one seems to start with a "B" and end with what looks like "Pipe" I can tell you that the Red box in the lower right hand corner reads "Fire suppression disabled".

peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back