Your "bring list" for riding the rails?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I did a search of the forums (being a careful newbie) but I could not readily find a section with "bring lists" of what people typically like to remember to bring with them.

For some folks, a special pillow or blanket is a must; for others, a deck of cards, I've heard bring flip-flops for the shared shower in the sleeper car and so on. Me, I always bring a small "triple tap" which turns one electric outlet into three, since you never know!

Would anyone be willing to share their "bring list" for long train trips, or kindly direct me to a place in the forums where that is discussed.

Thanks everyone and happy travels! :hi:

Thanks AmtrakBlue! :hi: I knew it was here somewhere!

(saw duct tape mentioned there! ha!!)

Thanks AmtrakBlue! :hi: I knew it was here somewhere!

(saw duct tape mentioned there! ha!!)
Speaking of duct tape, I heard or read someone ask who carries duct tape with them when traveling when they were talking about the unruly guy who was taped to his seat on that plane from Iceland. I thought to myself - AUers! :D

If the trip is more than 12 or so hours I always bring a few "dry" snacks usually built around a 1 pound can of Walmart Cashew Pieces. I used to pack a 6 or 8 pack of plastic-bottled soda but after a few trips realized there was usually enough to drink on board the extra weight and loss of space was not worth it.

And my Scanner with route frequency sheets and any route Timetables I have go in the grip as well. More often than not, at least during the daylight hours I can navigate quicker with these than with a GPS.

Hi everyone! I did a search of the forums (being a careful newbie) but I could not readily find a section with "bring lists" of what people typically like to remember to bring with them.

For some folks, a special pillow or blanket is a must; for others, a deck of cards, I've heard bring flip-flops for the shared shower in the sleeper car and so on. Me, I always bring a small "triple tap" which turns one electric outlet into three, since you never know!

Would anyone be willing to share their "bring list" for long train trips, or kindly direct me to a place in the forums where that is discussed.

Thanks everyone and happy travels! :hi:
All I do is commute so I don't come equipped with too much stuff. However - I do have a triple tap surge protector with two USB power sources. It cost me maybe $12. It's handy with some of the limited space outlets around tables since the plug rotates 360 degrees. I used to take it on my commute but it's a bit bulky. I use it in the office and bought a cheap knockoff iphone adapter.

Camera definitely if its a LD trip. Also don't forget the charger or spare batteries.

DVD player, DVD's, flip-flops for the shower, extension cord (needed even in the sleepers), train tickets, extra undies (if the train is delayed for yet another 24 hours), $1's and $5's for tips.

Camera bag with two bodies, three lenses (one with a rubber lens hood for shooting through windows), hard-soled slippers, Kindle, iPad with keyboard, three-way electrical plug, toothbrush, razor.

I typically bring $2 bills for tips.
I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago, and the people at the next table left a $2 bill. Clearly, the waitstaff would have been less insulted if they left nothing at all.

For all practical purposes, $2 bills are worthless. Especially for someone who needs their tips to pay their bills. The one waiter remarked they had a stack of $2 bills at home, from all the jerks that leave them as tips, but just didn't have the time to go to a bank to trade them in for some usable currency.

BTW, I felt really sorry for the guy, he works really hard for his tips, and traded him two $1 bills for the $2. Gave the $2 bill to my grandkid as a novelty item.

I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago, and the people at the next table left a $2 bill. Clearly, the waitstaff would have been less insulted if they left nothing at all.

For all practical purposes, $2 bills are worthless. Especially for someone who needs their tips to pay their bills. The one waiter remarked they had a stack of $2 bills at home, from all the jerks that leave them as tips, but just didn't have the time to go to a bank to trade them in for some usable currency.

BTW, I felt really sorry for the guy, he works really hard for his tips, and traded him two $1 bills for the $2. Gave the $2 bill to my grandkid as a novelty item.
What is wrong with a $2 bill? It is worth $2, same as 2 singles. Are you saying that $4 as 2 $2s is somehow different than 4 $1s? Spends just the same on any transaction in any store or bank in the US. Only difference is vending machines often don't recognize it, but the machines that take $1s often don't work anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always bring 2 self-inflating Therma-Rest type cushions: a 1x12x14" one to sit on and 2x4x12" one for lumbar support. They roll up very small and weigh next to nothing. I don't remember what I paid for them but are beyond value. They are also great for planes and buses.

I also always bring earplugs and a flashlight. I bring duct tape but haven't used it in many trips now.

This last trip trip over xmas on #5 I brought a very light weight blanket from Costco that folds & zips up over itself to be about the size of a computer bag. I would have been very cold both nights without that!!

What is wrong with a $2 bill? It is worth $2, same as 2 singles. Are you saying that $4 as 2 $2s is somehow different than 4 $1s? Spends just the same on any transaction in any store or bank in the US. Only difference is vending machines often don't recognize it, but the machines that take $1s often don't work anyway.
I think of $2 bills as currency because they are. They're fully negotiable although I've had issues with some cashiers thinking they weren't allowed to take them even though they knew they were real. I sometimes leave more in tips when I round up for twos.

I have yet to see anyone complain or look disgusted if I leave a two as a tip. I understand that a lot of people will hoard them, but why would anyone be so obtuse as to not understand that they can be spent directly like any other currency?

As for vending machines - I worked for a few months at a large company and most of the vending machines there accepted twos. I've also noticed that every single "self checkout" terminal at a supermarket or discount store that I've tried accepts twos. They don't say anything about it, but in my experience they can be used.

$2 bills are indeed legit, as are dollar coins. They're unusual, yes, but I've left $2 bills as tips and the servers were happy. Methinks that waiter was pulling the poster's leg.

Roomette: power strip w/ small extension cord, safety pins for the curtains (the velcro is decent, but we want it as dark as possible), shower shoes, extra socks/underwear, and the usual overnight stuff (pajamas, change of shirt, toiletries, laptop, chargers, phones, etc).

Coach: pillow, earplugs, eye mask, blanket, sleeping pills, shoes I can slip on/off easily, soft-side cooler with food/drinks, noise-canceling headphones. I'm not sure if we'll be in Coach ever again (on an overnight trip, that is), so this might be the Old List. ;)

We used to bring a bunch of books, but now we use our phones or Kindle. Talk about saving space. Between the two of us, it wasn't unusual to have 6-8 paperbacks taking up space in the backpack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are my essentials: enough changes of clothing for the trip, plastic garbage bag to store dirty clothes, phone, GPS unit, cameras, chargers and/or batteries for all, power strip w/extension cords, the book USA by Rail by John Pitt, a few snacks (crackers and turkey pepperoni bites), small bag with toiletries and my diabetes meds, little tubes of sugarless drink mix for the bottled water, extra small bag to store keys, glasses, wallet, loose change, watch, etc while I'm sleeping, and a new addition I got as part of a gift pack for Christmas: a small LED flashlight, perfect for checking the the time on my watch when I wake up in the middle of the night. Oh, and plenty of cash for tips.

They're only worthless if one is being lazy. Otherwise they spend like regular money. And if he's got a stack of them, then a quick trip to the bank will fix that problem.

I have been using $2 bills for tips for several years. I got the idea from a post on this forum. It is much more convenient than carrying twice as many $1 bills. I have seen LSA's see them on the table as a tip for a serve and substitute one dollar bills for them because they want to save them for their children/grandchildren. I have had passengers want to buy some of my $2 bills from me in the past. I have not met a server or SCA who seemed disappointed with a $2 bill. On some trips, I have been know as the "$2 bill woman."

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

I have been using $2 bills for tips for several years. I got the idea from a post on this forum. It is much more convenient than carrying twice as many $1 bills. I have seen LSA's see them on the table as a tip for a serve and substitute one dollar bills for them because they want to save them for their children/grandchildren. I have had passengers want to buy some of my $2 bills from me in the past. I have not met a server or SCA who seemed disappointed with a $2 bill. On some trips, I have been know as the "$2 bill woman."
Years ago when I had a roommate we went for a movie and we paid separately. I got cute and paid in $2 bills. My roomate paid and got some of the $2 bills back in change. The ticket seller was using them immediately as change. It was notable because my roommate didn't get the correct change (the bills made it easy to track how much the shortfall was) and ended up getting two admission vouchers since the ticket seller couldn't open the register after hours when we came back to see about getting the additional change due.

Depends upon POV I guess, I always carry twos, and tip with them, n pay tabs with them. I've seen customers go to cashier or waiter after my transaction is over and offer to "buy" the twos I just gave them.

This IS A FACT THO: If you tip/pay with twos, you WILL BE REMEMBERED, and most people like them.

Personally, I wish we lose the one dollar bill, (use the Susan B instead)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back