Amtrak ONLY Rail Transit to Not Allow Pets!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can carry small animals on airlines for a fee, as long as they are in a closed kennel. Or you can check them. Remember that flights are usually not that long either.

I was once on the Crescent in coach. I had just boarded in the middle of the night when this little dog crawled up under my feet. I picked it up and asked around if anyone had a dog but no one answered. When the conductor came around to take tickets, I told him I had a dog, so he asked around and it just turned out to be the woman in front of me. Maybe she didn't hear me. The conductor, unfortunately, had to let her off the train. I think she had just let the dog out to stretch it's legs or something. I'm not sure.

On my recent Canadian trip, there was a couple that brought a large dog with them. He was checked in the baggage car. On long breaks they were allowed to go walk him. Also I think they were able to access him while the train was moving. But still, the Canadian can sometimes not make station stops for hours at a time. It was only the major station stops that we made a long enough stop for them.

People around my neighborhood walk their dogs by my yard and they stop unpredictably to crap on my lawn. How can any pet owner predict when a dog needs to take a dump, and how can the owner prevent it happening in the carrier. And then what prevents that from stinking up the whole car till the owner's stop? Dogs in passenger compartments just seem like a bad idea, not that I expect their owners to volunteer the bad aspects.

I just did a quick search for pets on trains, with some surprising results:

Here.

Here.

And here.

It seems that depending on where you go and what train you take, there can be lots of rules and sometimes extra expenses involved to bring your pet.

We had a guy on the CZ each way with a service dog, nothing that said service dog on the fisrt one. On the way west it was a guy on cruches, both sides. He looked to have a hard time moving. He had a Pit Bull as a service dog, first one of that breed I had seen in that position. He was in the lower level of coach and got out several times to walk his dog.....never was successful tho. Dog sniffed everything in sight but never went. He got off in Grand Junction and IIRC got on someplace in Iowa.

One the way back we had a guy get on with a beautiful golden retriever, It did have the vest on that read service dog. I got the chance to talk with the guy a few minutes and he said it was the dog's first trip....I thought well thats a accident waiting to happen. He had it on a long leash part of the time and it jumped up each time the train slowed down or stopped. Went up and down the isles sniffing everyone in the isle seats hands then when the train started moving again it went back and laid at the guys feet. He only rode 3 or 4 stops and got off.....no accidents but he said as he walked past when getting off....She is ready to get off this train.

I don't have a problem with service animals but to just bring your pet along to make yourself feel better than boarding it...leave Fifi or Tom at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting for the day someone shows up at the station with their 8 foot pet Burmese Python or perhaps a small carry box full of Emperor Scorpions (those actually make fascinating safe pets if you are into Exotic Pets).

People around my neighborhood walk their dogs by my yard and they stop unpredictably to crap on my lawn. How can any pet owner predict when a dog needs to take a dump, and how can the owner prevent it happening in the carrier. And then what prevents that from stinking up the whole car till the owner's stop? Dogs in passenger compartments just seem like a bad idea, not that I expect their owners to volunteer the bad aspects.
You assume that the dogs are stopping unpredictably. My dog predictably has a bowel movement two times a day. And yes, he always goes on someone's lawn because we live in a city. I always have a bag to pick it up.

Dogs have a natural instinct to NOT go to the bathroom in their "home" or "den." This is why crate training is practiced for puppies. Any person who spends five minutes (or less) on the google will know that dogs are not likely to go to the bathroom in their carrier or crate.

Again, dogs are allowed on airplanes in containers or carriers and they seem to be able to deal with this issue just fine. Again, I am not advocating taking pets on multi-day/overnight LD journeys, but just pointing out that it might be reasonable to allow pets in containers on short trips of 3-4 hours (or less), as that would approach the experience and conditions already allowed by other forms of transportation.

Again, I am not advocating taking pets on multi-day/overnight LD journeys, but just pointing out that it might be reasonable to allow pets in containers on short trips of 3-4 hours (or less), as that would approach the experience and conditions already allowed by other forms of transportation.
It seems like a reasonable request on paper but I see two possible problems- one, what should be the "cut-off" maximum journey time for which pets to be allowed? 4 hours? Then someone with a journey time 4 hr 05 minutes will make a big hue and cry about how unfair and unaccommodating Amtrak is. Secondly, we all know how often Amtrak trains get delayed, sometimes due to their own fault (locomotive dies), sometimes due to freight railroad's fault (derailment, traffic sidings), and a lot of times due to fault of people without half a brain- the motorists, trucks and pedestrians who love getting in the way of Amtrak, resulting in 2-3 hours of delay, sometimes even longer, depending on how long the police investigation takes and whether the crew ran out of hours or not. These are not once-in-a-blue-moon events, they happen fairly regularly. Now what happens if Mr Doggie or Miss Pussycat happens to be on one such train for a 4 hour journey that has now become a 8 hour ordeal?

I'm a pet owner, not only a pet owner, but an animal breeder. My animals are rodents, but the only difference between a dog and a rat, besides growing teeth, is that the rat is more intelligent. Forget about the more intelligent species of rodents, particularly peromyscus. The fact of the matter is, I am sure you don't want to smell my rodents urine and fecal matter, right? I don't want to hear your dog barking, your cat meowing, and so on.

In a commuter setting, if you bring your dog on the train, I'll move to another car. No harm done. But on Amtrak? Can I move to a different roomette? Can I move to another car? What if you come on in the middle of the night while I'm trying to sleep? Trust me, if you had a dog on an Amfleet II while I was sleeping, that dog would be experiencing the unique sensation of exiting a moving Amfleet II at 80 mph. Amtrak is preventing this kind of problem. Transporting them in the baggage car would be more reasonable. It is possible that with the new baggage fleet, Amtrak may reintroduce pet carriage.

I don't want somebody coming on board a train with a pet, making noises, shedding hair/fur, relieving oneself, amd generally disturbing other passengers. You take about a hard kennel, well they could still cause problems for the crew and there's no designated place to put it. If put with the baggage, the pet might stink up all the baggage.

GML has a good point. If a pet is messing with me, I can't do anything on Amtrak. I also don't have a pet so I'm not expierienced with them, putting me in a tight spot if a pet sneaks on.

You also can't do anything about a pet messing with you on an airline either...

But as to the issue of length of trip, why not copy and paste from the (otherwise draconian, in my personal opinion) unaccompanied minor policy. Amtrak has no problems requiring unaccompanied minors to between certain travel times, why not accompanied animals too?

But as to the issue of length of trip, why not copy and paste from the (otherwise draconian, in my personal opinion) unaccompanied minor policy. Amtrak has no problems requiring unaccompanied minors to between certain travel times, why not accompanied animals too?
Some people here may say "OK on the plane, but not on the train". I say, "Get a friend or relative to care for them and leave them at home". I'm mystified by humans who can't part from an animal they own. Maybe they shouldn't be traveling at all. Maybe that person is just too insecure.

First of all I have an extreme allergy to cats, I cannot even enter a home that has cats. As I have gotten older my allergies have become more severe (pollen and mold in addition to cats). I know that a cat in a railcar will cause me problems.

On the other hand I also have a fabulous Jack Russel Terrier. She is very quiet and well behaved. She was a rescue dog from Iowa. She has been able to bowels and urine for as long as 11 hours. The most amazing thing about her is that if I am sleeping and my blood sugar drops into the 60's she will wake me up, by nudging or licking me. If there was a way to certify her (officially) I am sure that she would qualify as a service animal under the ADA. I can see the point of those that cannot medically tolerate animals, and also the point of "service" animals as from my own experience with my JRT.

All that being said I must agree with Amtrak's current policy until a temperature controlled baggage area can be insured and the animals transported in a hard side carrier.

Al aka oldtimer.

You might get a climate controlled baggage car with the new viewliner dorm/baggage cars. Don't know if the baggage part will be climate controlled?

Media Relations told me that the baggage car idea was briefly considered and then rejected. Suppose the cooling system broke down in 100 degree heat and all the animals perished? Lawsuits would ensue. Allergy sufferers also often sue. Our lawsuit-happy American culture is the reason Amtrak will not pets except for service animals. Other countries are not so litigious.

Some people here may say "OK on the plane, but not on the train". I say, "Get a friend or relative to care for them and leave them at home". I'm mystified by humans who can't part from an animal they own. Maybe they shouldn't be traveling at all. Maybe that person is just too insecure.
So many rude assumptions in this post. I don't bring my dog on vacation, but I don't live near my family and travel to see them for the holidays. When I am going to stay with my family for a week for the holidays, I prefer to bring my dog because I am staying at a relative's home and they also enjoy having the dog around. I do lots of travelling without my dog, but there are some trips where I take him. My dog IS part of my family. You don't have to understand that, but it's rude to belittle some owners in that manner.

Again, I am totally fine with the amtrak policy as it is and absolutely understand why they have the black/white policy that they do. It is much easier for them. I get that. Just pointing out that our guest poster has what I think is a valid complaint.

The most amazing thing about her is that if I am sleeping and my blood sugar drops into the 60's she will wake me up, by nudging or licking me. If there was a way to certify her (officially) I am sure that she would qualify as a service animal under the ADA.
There ought to be a way to get her certified. Even if not, you would have a very sound reason to legitimately call her a service animal and explain why. I would regard her ability and actions as truly potentially life saving, and of perticular use when traveling, as when off normal schedule seems to be when blood sugar levels are most likely to go haywire.

I do not understand the pet fetish, no matter what. I have two cats... other than to the vet, they go nowhere with me. Some people find cats offensive; I generally find dogs offensive, no matter the breed.

What also troubles me is this sense of entitlement, particularly among pet owners. For instance, I live in a city where pets of all sorts are NOT allowed in restaurants or anywhere food is served (another reason why Amtrak won't allow pets). I was at a restaurant one morning for my bagel and coffee, and a couple walked in, followed by their dog (on a leash, at least). I told them that it was illegal to do that and they took offense, the wife saying, "we let our dog in the kitchen of our house; why not here." I immediately called the local police and they were johnny on the spot issuing a citation to the couple, and to the restaurant. The manager was fired within an hour for allowing it.
You must be proud.

I do not understand the pet fetish, no matter what. I have two cats... other than to the vet, they go nowhere with me. Some people find cats offensive; I generally find dogs offensive, no matter the breed.

What also troubles me is this sense of entitlement, particularly among pet owners. For instance, I live in a city where pets of all sorts are NOT allowed in restaurants or anywhere food is served (another reason why Amtrak won't allow pets). I was at a restaurant one morning for my bagel and coffee, and a couple walked in, followed by their dog (on a leash, at least). I told them that it was illegal to do that and they took offense, the wife saying, "we let our dog in the kitchen of our house; why not here." I immediately called the local police and they were johnny on the spot issuing a citation to the couple, and to the restaurant. The manager was fired within an hour for allowing it.
You must be proud.

I don't see anything worng with what he did.

It's Against the FDA rules to allow animals other then service dogs into a food establishment. Managers can be fired for ignoring problems. Like this one were this fry cook at a fast food place took a bath during the shift in the dish-washing sink and his co-workers video-taped it and the manager ignored it. Well the FDA fired everyone from the shift including the shift manager and they had to disinfect and sanitize the entire kitchen.

It's Against the FDA rules to allow animals other then service dogs into a food establishment. Managers can be fired for ignoring problems. Like this one were this fry cook at a fast food place took a bath during the shift in the dish-washing sink and his co-workers video-taped it and the manager ignored it. Well the FDA fired everyone from the shift including the shift manager and they had to disinfect and sanitize the entire kitchen.
If by FDA, you mean the Food and Drug Administration, NO WAY! They can't fire their own employees much less someone else's!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back