AmNames

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
An earlier post reminded me that Amtrak was great at prepending Am- to lots of words. Here are the ones I remember. Any that I missed?

• Amcafe
  • Amclub
  • Amcoach
  • Amdinette
  • Amfleet

Was there ever an Amdiner, Amdome, Ambaggage?

And, of course, some unofficial names like

• Ambus
  • Amcloset (the skinny storage compartment in Superliner Is)
  • Amburger
  • Am & cheese sandwich
  • Amshack
  • Amsnack
  • Amsnag

I consider AmStation's as an appropriate name for those brick 1970s stations with flat black roofs all of the same design built in Rochester, Buffalo, Anaheim, Midway Station in St. Paul, and at many other places across the nation.

I consider AmStation's as an appropriate name for those brick 1970s stations with flat black roofs all of the same design built in Rochester, Buffalo, Anaheim, Midway Station in St. Paul, and at many other places across the nation.
AmShack is the common term I see used on-line to describe those stations.

An Amshack is one of those bus stop like shelters with a few seats - if you were lucky!
rolleyes.gif

An AmShack is just a station with just a (possibly glorified) bus shelter a completely uninviting place to wait in. For example, I got stuck during a brief thunderstorm inside the one in Birmingham, MI. It was a terribly unpleasant experience.

Some of those AmStations can be quite pleasant to wait in. For example I had a very productive two hours waiting for the late Empire Builder in the upper level waiting area of Minneapolis St. Paul's Midway station once I got used to its bright red carpet.

I have a list of "Amterms" I've seen used in railroad books and magazine articles of varying quality.

Types of "Amcan":

• Amcoach (both standard and LD seating arrangements)

• Amcafe

• Amdinette (most standard; 3 LD for Palmetto)

• Amgrill (refers to the 5 cars modified for service on the Inter-American)

• Ampub

• Amclub (most standard; 3? LD for Palmetto)

• Ampad (the two sleepers)

The 'Am' ing of things usually was for Amfleet cars. Consider that on the Rohr Turboliners, there were Turbocoaches, TurboClubs, and TurboCafe's.

Now i'm hungry..

:)

On one of my more recent trips, I recall passing one of the cardboard trash bins tucked into an unused vestibule and thinking how funny it would be if it were marked "Amtrash"

I once knew a retired (now unfortunately deceased) Amtrak engineer on the NEC who had nicknamed Amfleet cars "Amroaches". (He also had nicknamed Conrail "Clownrail", Metro-North "Mafia-North" and Norfolk Southern the "N*zi Southern")

---PCJ

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually having McDonald's as a supplier of food for the Cafe's, Dinettes, and Bistro's is not such a bad idea. Get past the obvious joking part of it and consider these terms of mine:

- they offer a wider and more appealing selection than even a decade ago, for not so high a price

- since McDonald's is everywhere, you can not only more easily supply comissaries and rail yards with large quanties of perishables that will become breakfast, lunch, and dinner for all the corridor and medium distance trains, as well as lounge meals on the overnight runs, but also enables Amtrak to respond better to running out. If a train is significantly delayed, a local McDonald's can be tapped on a prearranged system to restock the train. Cardinal, or Pennsylvanian anyone?

- Amtrak's large presence as the nation's major intercity rail carrier means it can boost revenues for McDonald's, and in turn, get McDonald's to provide a higher quality selection on trains vs. what you'd normally find in it's fast food restaurants. Less, if any, burgers and fries, and more things like paninis and chicken salad roll-ups. Demand that McDonald's tone down their big yellow 'M' golden arches so that Amtrak's logo branding is the dominant presence.

- Diners on long distance trains are left alone, are not touched by McDonald's

By tapping into and harnessing the power of two large organizations, I seriously see win/win here. Amtrak can finally change it's mummified image, esp. on Northeast Regional cafe cars, in providing a more varied and easier accessable offering in it's cafe car menu's, be better prepared for emergencies that stop trains for hours at a time, or for when high demand exhausts on board supplies, and have tighter control over a greater stream of perishables to originating rail yards and terminals. McDonald's gets a significant new revenue source and a shot in the arm to their own image of supplying cheap fried heart attack food by being called upon to make more of some of their more recent entries and to develop more of them mainly for use on Amtrak trains. 30 million people a year ride us.

Another benefit not food related is that an alliance like this is a supernova of excellent publicity, and any 'green' initiatives that are coming down the pipeline will have a greater impact, be easier to impliment, and have a far reaching effect. For ex: if a method is adopted to replace the styrofoam trays and cups with something that's biodegradeable it will have far reaching effects that benefit the planet and will cause great praise and accolades for both McDonald's and Amtrak.

Let's talk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back