2 Dead after car collides with train 59 the CONO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fan_Trains

I just saw on the news on channel 6 that 2 people in a vehicle died after it collieded with train 59 the CIty of New Orleans in Kenner. just north on airline drive near louie armstrong international airport. nobody on board was injured when it struck the vehicle in its path.

Fortunately no one on the CONO was injured, although the delay was likely aggravating. No sympathy here for those killed, especially considering they were in a place they should not have been.

No sympathy here for those killed
really?????
ABSOLUTELY! There is more than enough education and effort being made to let people know plain and simple STOP LOOK AND LISTEN! I was taught this back in the early 60s! Moreover these idiots were driving on an unauthorized road and I am just going to venture a strong betting man's guess were not even paying attention at the crossing.

really?????
ABSOLUTELY! There is more than enough education and effort being made to let people know plain and simple STOP LOOK AND LISTEN! I was taught this back in the early 60s! Moreover these idiots were driving on an unauthorized road and I am just going to venture a strong betting man's guess were not even paying attention at the crossing.
In any case, sympathy for the dead accomplishes nothing. Might we agree on some sympathy for the idiots' families? After all, they had to deal with these two for a long time and will now have to deal with the legal, emotional, and financial consequences of their stupidity. And I certainly feel sympathy for the train crew, especially the hoghead, and to all the passengers, and to all who had to respond to the incident.

Last edited by a moderator:
really?????
In any case, sympathy for the dead accomplishes nothing. Might we agree on some sympathy for the idiots' families? After all, they had to deal with these two for a long time and will now have to deal with the legal, emotional, and financial consequences of their stupidity. And I certainly feel sympathy for the train crew, especially the hoghead, and to all the passengers, and to all who had to respond to the incident.
On the one hand, I offer the families a bit of sympathy, and I feel some sympathy for the kid (presuming that the son was a kid and that it wasn't the kid driving). On the other hand, that sympathy has a limit: While I am sorry for their loss, given the facts I want them to be denied any remedy against Amtrak or the host line. They might have a claim against the owner of the private road if an argument can be made that the road was not posted and/or (in legal terms) was a nuisance. Likewise, the father (who I presume was driving) deserves one hell of a chewing out at the pearly gates for this one...reckless endangerment, anyone?

I think there should be a law that all grade crossings including those on private roads and driveways have crossing gates no matter what.

I think there should be a law that all grade crossings including those on private roads and driveways have crossing gates no matter what.
I will actually agree, at least for the main lines. With rarely-used (or effectively disused) spur lines in rural areas crossing minor roads, particularly with low-class or excepted track, I'm inclined to disagree, if only because at least in some cases I could see a railroad simply opting to abandon such a line. A good example would actually be along some of the industrial spurs on the Peninsula (most of which have been in decline for a long, long time): I just can't see CSX throwing in a few million dollars total to keep up lines which it probably generates very marginal profits on. The same goes for the NS spurs down on Southside.

Of course, on the other hand, someone needs to improve the crossing stuff on Route 60, Route 17, and Route 143...there are a pair of spurs (one to Ft. Eustis, one out to Yorktown) that cross very busy highways, and at least on Route 60, there isn't even a crossing gate.

On the one hand, I offer the families a bit of sympathy, and I feel some sympathy for the kid (presuming that the son was a kid and that it wasn't the kid driving). On the other hand, that sympathy has a limit: While I am sorry for their loss, given the facts I want them to be denied any remedy against Amtrak or the host line. They might have a claim against the owner of the private road if an argument can be made that the road was not posted and/or (in legal terms) was a nuisance. Likewise, the father (who I presume was driving) deserves one hell of a chewing out at the pearly gates for this one...reckless endangerment, anyone?
The son was 32-years old and sitting in the passenger seat. The father was a retired police officer, and officials think that's how he knew about using the road as a shortcut to get around busy city traffic. They were in a rush to get a King Cake. The son was on break from his job and had to return in a little while.

If the father knew about the road, he knew about the crossing. Given that they were in such a rush, I would imagine this was a case of trying to beat the train. The article agrees with me (there was a bit about the police officers stating the damage/trajectory would have come from rushing to beat the train).

Note: This is all supposition, of course, based on what the news reported.

And every road intersection with stop signs should have them replaced with traffic lights or grade seperations? There is a limit to how far it is reasonable to go to protect people from themselves.
I agree. I'm tired of seeing all the "idiot" signs (signs telling people to use common sense).

Last night I crossed a freight track that had lights, but I don't think it has gates and stopped a couple of car lengths past it for a traffic light up ahead. I had made sure there was room for me before I crossed it. The car behind me also had room to cross & clear the tracks. The next car, no. So s/he stopped on the tracks. Luckily no train was coming. There were cars behind this car, so it would have taken some manuvering on his/her part to get off the track if a train did come.

I will actually agree, at least for the main lines.
Ride the Empire Builder. Note how often the horn blows, even in rural Montana and North Dakota. Multiply that by the tens of thousands of dollars each crossing gate would cost. Calculate how much it would cost just this one main line.

And every road intersection with stop signs should have them replaced with traffic lights or grade seperations? There is a limit to how far it is reasonable to go to protect people from themselves.
Not to mention that gates mean nothing in terms of reducing accidents.

For the first 9 months of last year there were 1,614 accidents at RR crossings. Of that number, only 209 took place at a private crossing. And out of 1,614 accidents, 677 of them took place at a crossing with lighta & gates. More than 1/3 of the accidents occurred at a crossing with gates. Another 246 took place at a crossing with flashing lights. So more than 1/2 the accidents took place at a crossing with active protection.

My point of course being that crossing gates guarantee nothing! It has been the law of this land for more than a century that people & cars stop for trains. If there is no active protection, then you must stop, look, & listen before crossing the tracks. That's all one needs to do to stay alive!

The problem isn't a lack of gates, it's a lack of respect for the laws in this country. People have their stereo's blaring, windows rolled up, and they just assume that nothing will be coming. They need to slow down, roll down the window, and turn off the radio for a minute, prior to crossing the tracks. It's real simple!

Additionally, an earlier photo showed a stop sign at the tracks. Anyone who actually stopped and looked both ways, as you should at a stop sign, would see the train coming. Considering it's a private road, a stop sign is really all it needs.

I cross the Amtrak line every day since it's at the end of my street, and you can see the Wolverine and Blue Water coming far in advance, even during the day. It's pretty hard to miss the headlight and the... umm... what do you call the two little lights under the headlight that blink left, then right, then left, then right...? I love those lights. :)

Not to mention that gates mean nothing in terms of reducing accidents.

For the first 9 months of last year there were 1,614 accidents at RR crossings. Of that number, only 209 took place at a private crossing. And out of 1,614 accidents, 677 of them took place at a crossing with lighta & gates. More than 1/3 of the accidents occurred at a crossing with gates. Another 246 took place at a crossing with flashing lights. So more than 1/2 the accidents took place at a crossing with active protection.

My point of course being that crossing gates guarantee nothing! It has been the law of this land for more than a century that people & cars stop for trains. If there is no active protection, then you must stop, look, & listen before crossing the tracks. That's all one needs to do to stay alive!

The problem isn't a lack of gates, it's a lack of respect for the laws in this country. People have their stereo's blaring, windows rolled up, and they just assume that nothing will be coming. They need to slow down, roll down the window, and turn off the radio for a minute, prior to crossing the tracks. It's real simple!
I have to disagree with your claim that "the gates mean nothing". Crossings with gates would normally be at crossings with high vehicle traffic counts and a busy rail line. With more vehicles per hour and more trains per day, there would be greater opportunity for an accident. Yes, more than a third of the accidents occurred at crossings with gates, but by traffic count, I bet those crossings represent 80 or 90 percent of all crossing traffic. By any valid statistical measure, gated crossings are safer than ungated or un-protectected.

It's pretty hard to miss the headlight and the... umm... what do you call the two little lights under the headlight that blink left, then right, then left, then right...? I love those lights. :)
These things were first used in Canada, and were called ditch lights because the lit up the areas off to the sides that the headlights did not illuminate. Whether that is what they are still called, I do not know.

It's pretty hard to miss the headlight and the... umm... what do you call the two little lights under the headlight that blink left, then right, then left, then right...? I love those lights. :)
These things were first used in Canada, and were called ditch lights because the lit up the areas off to the sides that the headlights did not illuminate. Whether that is what they are still called, I do not know.
The FRA calls them "Auxilliary Lights" in the regulation, but they are known as Ditch Lights in the field. They do make a world of difference! They do not, however, all flash. That seems to be an East Coast (CSX/NS) and Amtrak thing. Most of the rest of the US uses steady ditch lights that do not flash.

Thanks, everyone. :)

It makes sense to have them for ditches/woods, but I also like that they draw attention to the train (on top of the loud horn). Plus, they're kinda pretty.
blush.gif

It makes sense to have them for ditches/woods, but I also like that they draw attention to the train (on top of the loud horn). Plus, they're kinda pretty.
blush.gif
They're real purpose, isn't necessarily to light up the ditches and woods, but to create a 3 point reference- At night, it's hard to tell if a single light is 100 yards away, or 1000, and nearly impossible to judge speed at all. The 3 position lights create a reference point, that better allows someone to judge distance and speed of the approaching train. It helps. I've run with both, and I can tell you they also greatly increase visibility from the cab. It's creepy dark when running an older loco without them now. Amazing how much difference it makes.

blush.gif
They're real purpose, isn't necessarily to light up the ditches and woods, but to create a 3 point reference- At night, it's hard to tell if a single light is 100 yards away, or 1000, and nearly impossible to judge speed at all. The 3 position lights create a reference point, that better allows someone to judge distance and speed of the approaching train. It helps. I've run with both, and I can tell you they also greatly increase visibility from the cab. It's creepy dark when running an older loco without them now. Amazing how much difference it makes.
Oh, that does make more sense.

Also, can I go for a ride?
happy.gif

I suspect that while being in a rush accounts for much of these, there is a secondary phenomenon at work, namely the territorial.

Some folks when they get behind the wheel, believe they are entitled to zoom forward, without slowing or stopping for anything. That would be annoying. When a driver gets territorial, he or she feels the next thousand feet or so are entirely their ownership, complete with deed and landlord-like rule over all creation within it. Marketing and advertising is alot to blame for this, for anytime they show their product interacting with a train, the train is perceived as society's adversary, slowing traffic, and progress. It's cool to spin out daredevil moves in front of trucks and mountains roads, isn't it? Because what these manufacturers are sellin is not transportation, but proprietary "...you can do anything you want".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back