DC NTD Reservations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What time?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanB

Engineer
Honored Member
For those attending NTD in DC, now that tickets can be had to skip the line for the railcar exhibit, what time should we all try to book for?

And do we want to try for a group lunch?

I have to await this trip to BOS. I've planned to goto WAS. But I need the cash! As of now it looks like instead of going FC on AE. I'll be going Coach on a NER. What a diffrence! :lol: I'll attend the Reserved Exhibits with the most. I'm good for a lunch group but I'm saving my votes for when I'm 100% set!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm completely open. I'm coming in on 67 so I'll be there at 7 AM and won't be leaving until 4:25, so any of the above times work for me. And I'd certainly be in for a group lunch. I voted for noon for the tour, but I can attend at any session.

I think it is good to go in for the first slot. I am arriving by 2203 at 10:57, and hopefully this time I will meet with greater success than I did on my last attempt to get to DC on 2203 last Saturday :) (if the last Saturday experience repeats, then the earliest one would get into DC is around 3pm :( ) I will be departing for the return trip on 2220 at 4pm, both FC of course. Got to get the huge number of points!

The pertinent question remaining is when to have the group lunch. It might make sense to go for a somewhat later lunch after the tour. In the past I have always done the tour in the first slot, then had lunch and then tried to sneak in for a second tour standing in a long line, and each time it has worked out.

I too am arriving on #67 but departing on #66, Thus it doesn't matter. But I agree with Jis regarding the first slot and then have lunch. If everyone can make it in by then, I think that is best. But if some are arriving on the CL that day, it won't work.

Bill,

There is a link for it on Amtrak's NTD site, but here is the direct link to the page to make reservations. I'm going to give it till tomorrow for more people to respond, at which point we'll pick a time and then everyone should try to get tickets for the same time or failing that, within a half hour of the agreed upon time.

If you like I can get a ticket for you if you're not comfortable with the process; just drop me a line. :)

just drop me a line :)
But don't drop it to hard - or it might break!
mosking.gif

Well the consensus seems to be for the 12:00 PM time slot. So I've booked my tickets accordingly and recommend that everyone else do so ASAP! It's not at all unusual for them to run out of tickets, so book things quickly before that happens. I'm guessing that we'll lean towards a 1:00 PM to 1:30 PM lunch, perhaps across the street in the old post office, unless everyone wants fast food in the food court.

Well the consensus seems to be for the 12:00 PM time slot. So I've booked my tickets accordingly and recommend that everyone else do so ASAP! It's not at all unusual for them to run out of tickets, so book things quickly before that happens. I'm guessing that we'll lean towards a 1:00 PM to 1:30 PM lunch, perhaps across the street in the old post office, unless everyone wants fast food in the food court.
The food court will be a mad house,even more than usual. I certainly did enjoy that restaurant in the post office myself.

I got mine, and am ready to go training!
mosking.gif
When ordering them, I also notice they offer tickets for 11 AM and 11:30 AM. Is there a reason why these were not options?
huh.gif

The restaurant in the Post Office Building - would that be the Capital City Brewing Co?
huh.gif
My kind of meal!
t1906.gif

I got mine, and am ready to go training!
mosking.gif
When ordering them, I also notice they offer tickets for 11 AM and 11:30 AM. Is there a reason why these were not options?
huh.gif
Yes, I didn't like those times. :lol:

Seriously though, we have people arriving on 2203 due in at 10:52 AM and I figured that there might be people arriving on 153 the 11:28 arriving Regional. Picking those earlier times could have been a problem for those arriving on either of those important trains.

The restaurant in the Post Office Building - would that be the Capital City Brewing Co?
huh.gif
My kind of meal!
t1906.gif
Correct, that is the CCBC.

Well seeing as there isn't much difference between a plane and Amtrak pricing that day, and you guys have opted for time earlier than the CL arrives into WAS I might have to fly, if I can.

Obvious choice is CAK to BWI and then into WUS, but if anybody else has some other ideas, other nearby airports that I could easily transfer to metro, VRE, Amtrak to WUS please advise.

Seriously though, we have people arriving on 2203 due in at 10:52 AM and I figured that there might be people arriving on 153 the 11:28 arriving Regional. Picking those earlier times could have been a problem for those arriving on either of those important trains.
I know of at least one person who is planning to join us who is arriving by 153.

Well seeing as there isn't much difference between a plane and Amtrak pricing that day, and you guys have opted for time earlier than the CL arrives into WAS I might have to fly, if I can.

Obvious choice is CAK to BWI and then into WUS, but if anybody else has some other ideas, other nearby airports that I could easily transfer to metro, VRE, Amtrak to WUS please advise.
If you have service from CAK, a better option is to fly into Washington National (DCA). DCA is served by the Metro. From DCA you can take the Metro Yellow Line north (toward Fort Totten). Exit at Gallery Place and transfer to the Red Line north (toward Glenmont). Second stop on the Red Line is Union Station. Fare is $1.60 each way. It sounds like a hassle, but it's an easy trip. There are Yellow Line trains every 12 minutes and Red Line trains every 6 minutes. It will take you less than an hour from plane to Train Day.

Here is the Metro Rail website.

Metro Rail

If you have service from CAK, a better option is to fly into Washington National (DCA). DCA is served by the Metro. From DCA you can take the Metro Yellow Line north (toward Fort Totten). Exit at Gallery Place and transfer to the Red Line north (toward Glenmont). Second stop on the Red Line is Union Station. Fare is $1.60 each way. It sounds like a hassle, but it's an easy trip. There are Yellow Line trains every 12 minutes and Red Line trains every 6 minutes. It will take you less than an hour from plane to Train Day.

Metro Rail
I guess he wants to collect his triple point on BWI - WAS Amtrak run. A cool 300 point point run. :) If he flies in early enough he could make it 600 points by doing BWI - BAL - WAS too :)

Metro Rail
I guess he wants to collect his triple point on BWI - WAS Amtrak run. A cool 300 point point run. :) If he flies in early enough he could make it 600 points by doing BWI - BAL - WAS too :)
Yep, that could be a factor. One problem is that there are no non-stops CAK-BWI. However, there is a morning non-stop CAK-DCA (dp 6:35, ar 7:47, $190 incl T&F). Fly into DCA, Metro to Union Station, then do Amtrak WAS-BAL, BAL-WAS. He could do that turn and easily be back by noon. He could head home on the Capitol Limited at 4:05p (assuming the leave from airport, arrive at train station logistics could be handled on his end).

Booked for the 12pm tour! Finally got the money for the trip! Depending on where we do the group lunch and how much it is I'll do it. But my budget depends on it! I might end up at the food court. But here's my travel plans! Will be arriving on 131 at 1010 and departing on 146 at 425. Sorry Jis won't be joining you in FC on those two AE's as we kinda planned! Cash became tight then I ran out of points!

then I ran out of points!
How dare you run out of points!
ohmy.gif

At least you can ride #146 with the_traveler!
biggrin.gif
(I'm doing a 3X point run to and from BAL with jimhudson!) What could be better?
laugh.gif

AFAIK, lunch with the AU gang (not to be confused with the Rolex Gang
mosking.gif
) will be at the Capital City Brewing Co.

Well the points were my Dads that he had no use for. So I used em!! :lol:

I googled the CCBC and it looks like it'll be out of my price range. :help: Guess I'll be eating at the Food Court. :wacko: What's at the food court? Anyone remember?

Well the points were my Dads that he had no use for. So I used em!! :lol:

I googled the CCBC and it looks like it'll be out of my price range. :help: Guess I'll be eating at the Food Court. :wacko: What's at the food court? Anyone remember?
I have the same problem!
mosking.gif
I have to use my BIL's points too - all 56K+ of them!
laugh.gif
Now what am I going to do with them?
huh.gif

As for the food court, they have everything and anything - from Micky D's to Chinese to Italian to ...

Be honest - you just don't want to be seen at lunch with this mob, right?
biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back