Buying 2 coach seats for 1 person?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
Has anyone ever done this? Is it even allowed by Amtrak? I have an in-law who wants to travel from Spokane to Minneapolis and wants to brave coach the entire way, but she's worried about the randomness of who might end up next to her (and isn't buying into my "meeting new people is part of Amtrak's charm" pep talk). Appreciate your replies in advance- thanks!

Has anyone ever done this? Is it even allowed by Amtrak? I have an in-law who wants to travel from Spokane to Minneapolis and wants to brave coach the entire way, but she's worried about the randomness of who might end up next to her (and isn't buying into my "meeting new people is part of Amtrak's charm" pep talk). Appreciate your replies in advance- thanks!
I don't know if the reservation system would support this, but even if it did, on a long trip, a downline conductor or the car attendant is likely to seat someone in the next seat if the train if full. Don't know for sure, but do not think it will work.

If she feels that strongly, she should get a roomette. That is guaranteed to be hers and hers alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is more important to her, 'braving' coach, or the fear of a sucktastic seatmate? If it's the latter, she should just get a roomette.

Even if she buys "2 seats", that is what she is purchasing - 2 seats on the train! It is not necessarily seats # 1 & #2 in the same car - it could be seat # 16 in the 2nd car and seat # 37 in the 3rd car!
ohmy.gif
If they need a seat to put a single traveler to keep a family or group together, there is nothing that says they could not put another passenger in the unoccupied seat next to her!

I agree with the earlier advice to buy a roomette, if she doesn't want anybody next to her! It may even be less than buying 2 coach tickets - plus all meals in the Dining Car would be included!
wink.gif
Plus there is a free wine tasting offered only to sleeper passengers on the EB!
biggrin.gif

What is more important to her, 'braving' coach, or the fear of a sucktastic seatmate? If it's the latter, she should just get a roomette.
Agreed, especially when you consider that Amtrak's coach is a million times more comfortable than an airline's version of coach (and is arguably competitive with an airline's first class in terms of comfort). Thanks to all for the quick replies.

It's called double booking, and as far as I know, it's strictly forbidden.

I don't think it's strictly forbidden. I'm sure Amtrak would gladly sell you 2 tickets, if one was for "Sue" and one was for "Jane".

But as said, if there was an unoccupied seat next to her, and they needed that seat (especially for someone boarding in the middle of the night), there is nothing to stop them from seating someone there! (I have gone to sleep with an empty seat next to me, and woke up the following morning to find it occupied by somebody who boarded during the night. I have also been on the other side.)
rolleyes.gif

I don't think it's strictly forbidden. I'm sure Amtrak would gladly sell you 2 tickets, if one was for "Sue" and one was for "Jane".

But as said, if there was an unoccupied seat next to her, and they needed that seat (especially for someone boarding in the middle of the night), there is nothing to stop them from seating someone there! (I have gone to sleep with an empty seat next to me, and woke up the following morning to find it occupied by somebody who boarded during the night. I have also been on the other side.)
rolleyes.gif
I did this once on a flight from New York to Tokyo and had the middle and window seat on the plane--far less expensive than buying business class. It provided me the extra leg room to somehow sleep fitfully, and it allowed both myself, and the lucky freeloader in the aisle seat, a spare seat and tray table to pile things on.

Admittedly, because individual seats are assigned on airplanes, I could do this (essentially the same thing that some airlines now require very, very fat people to do).

It's a good point to raise that on Amtrak, you would be buying two seats on the train, not specific seat assignments. Nevertheless, I would expect that coach car attendants would give you two adjoining seats, and the necessary seat checks, if you presented two separate tickets. Since the system is not supposed to oversell the train, there would always be a seat somewhere else on the train for a new passenger, even someone boarding late at night.

Amtrak's bizarre assumption that we all want to be extremely close to our neighbors without even so much as an armrest between us is the issue IMO. Just because I may enjoy meeting new people doesn't mean I enjoy being in routine physical contact with them for hours on end. Although there are a few helpful posts here and there this thread still suffers from the same knee-jerk reaction as most other coach-related threads on AU. Namely, everyone just assumes that sleeper compartments are always the answer for everyone with any concern about traveling in coach. Never mind that sometimes sleepers sell out or can be substantially more than two coach seats. To the OP, I suggest she go ahead and buy the two tickets and ask for two destination slips to put above her seats when boarding. So long as she keeps her stubs with her she should receive two adjoining seats for her to use as she pleases. Although I have not yet done this myself I see no reason why Amtrak would not honor it if both seats are paid for.

..., but she's worried about the randomness of who might end up next to her...
As noted, no one in coach has a specific assigned seat. When you buy a "reserved" coach ticket, you are simply buying somewhere seat sit, somewhere on the train.

So, while she can buy two seats, she would not be buying the seat next to hers.

As noted, no one in coach has a specific assigned seat. When you buy a "reserved" coach ticket, you are simply buying somewhere seat sit, somewhere on the train. So, while she can buy two seats, she would not be buying the seat next to hers.
What possible reason would Amtrak have for selling the same customer two seats to the same destination in two completely different areas of the train if nobody has been promised any specific coach seat in advance? So long as the seats are paid for and are active for the same travel segment they should be together. There may be extremely rare situations where this somehow isn't possible, but under standard operating procedure this should be fairly easy to accommodate, even for Amtrak.

I've actually done this. It's not a formal amtrak policy, but almost all conductors will honor both tickets. Finding 2 seats together is up to the passenger or a helpful coach attendant or conductor--it is not guaranteed. You may have to wait for two seats to open up side by side. But once they do, I have yet to find a conductor who will not keep them clear for you. I've even gone so far as to purchase four tickets as part of an AGR redemption and to take a four-seater on a surfliner for a wide open, clear workspace (and I used every inch of it). The conductor gladly honored it and kept it clear for me.

Rafi

I think daxomni is onto something. It probably isn't written anywhere in the Rules of the Rails bible for conductors how to handle this situation but two destination slips over your head carry a lot of weight. For example, I have set next to people who stay in their seat long enough to get their ticket punched, then off to the lounge for hours. As other people board, no one is given that seat next to me as long as the destination slip is active. Also, it has been my experience that if proximity seats are needed for a family, the conductor will rearrange using passengers that are physically present.

My bet is that 99 out of 100 times the two seats would start together and remain together for the trip. If not, and it were me, I'd speak up and defend my two tickets... both are paid for and have the same rights to unassigned seating as any other paid passenger.

You should really be able to purchase a child's ticket at half price. Then just say you have an "imaginary friend". I'm sure they would keep you two together, and far away from the other passengers..... Hmmn

She should buy a 'cello and then buy two tickets - one for her and one for the 'cello.

She should buy a 'cello and then buy two tickets - one for her and one for the 'cello.
Maybe it's cheaper just not to shower for a week before the trip, wear clothes that haven't been washed for a month, and then dare anyone to sit next to you!

Given the obsession that some people responding on the "trains in the old days" have about showering every hour on the hour, the OP won't need to worry about a seatmate plopping down!

(Of course,the OP will have to be able to stand himself!! Or herself!!)

As noted, no one in coach has a specific assigned seat. When you buy a "reserved" coach ticket, you are simply buying somewhere seat sit, somewhere on the train. So, while she can buy two seats, she would not be buying the seat next to hers.
What possible reason would Amtrak have for selling the same customer two seats to the same destination in two completely different areas of the train if nobody has been promised any specific coach seat in advance? So long as the seats are paid for and are active for the same travel segment they should be together.
While that is true, if a family boards (say a mother and her 3 year old daughter), and all other seats are full but there are 2 seats occupied by single travelers in seats #56 and #12, would you rather split the family up, or move the single traveler so the mother and her daughter can sit together?
huh.gif
Especially if they are boarding at 1 AM!
rolleyes.gif

While that is true, if a family boards (say a mother and her 3 year old daughter), and all other seats are full but there are 2 seats occupied by single travelers in seats #56 and #12, would you rather split the family up, or move the single traveler so the mother and her daughter can sit together?
huh.gif
rolleyes.gif
Why? My kid and I have been split up, because there are no two seats next to each other when we first boarded. Seems a lot of single travelers like to grab a "window seat", leaving many isle seats empty.

And I have never seen the car attendant or conductor come thru the car and force 1/2 the single travelers move to an isle seat. Possibly, these single travelers are "regulars" who they don't want to upset?

huh.gif
rolleyes.gif
Why? My kid and I have been split up, because there are no two seats next to each other when we first boarded. Seems a lot of single travelers like to grab a "window seat", leaving many isle seats empty.

And I have never seen the car attendant or conductor come thru the car and force 1/2 the single travelers move to an isle seat. Possibly, these single travelers are "regulars" who they don't want to upset?
I've been asked many time if I would mind moving so a family could sit together. And I've had others asked if they would mind moving too.

Maybe I'm not like you, but if I were asked to move so a mother and her young child could sit together, I would have no problem doing so!
rolleyes.gif
It's one thing for a father and his 16 year old son to be split up, but another for a mother and her 2 year old daughter to be split up!
blink.gif

While that is true, if a family boards (say a mother and her 3 year old daughter), and all other seats are full...
Why would all other seats be full? I haven't seen Amtrak overselling the trains I ride, but even if they did why wouldn't they simply follow the traditional model where whoever arrives first gets their seats as purchased and whoever arrives last gets to deal with the consequences? In general I don't think most (LD) trains are going out with every single seat taken but if they are there is still plenty of precedent for how to deal with it objectively and without arbitrarily penalizing single travelers.

I've been asked many time if I would mind moving so a family could sit together. And I've had others asked if they would mind moving too.
If neither you or anyone else you saw moved had purchased two seats for one individual then your examples do not apply to the situation we're presently discussing. I'm tempted to go buy two tickets on the next train out just to see what would happen but I've never been on a train that left SAS completely full to the very last seat. Sometimes we don't need to fully define every possible situation before we can give out general advice.

I think a call to Amtrak is really the only way to get a correct answer on this question.

However, especially if the traveler is flexible with dates, I would suggest pricing two in coach and one in a roomette and see what you come up with. Depending on the travel dates, the roomette option may not be much more (or could be the same or less) than two coach tickets and would include all meals in the diner. When there is high demand for coach because of groups, etc., you may be suprised as to the price difference. I always check both coach and sleeper prices before booking and many times can get a sleeper for the same price if traveling with two people.

While that is true, if a family boards (say a mother and her 3 year old daughter), and all other seats are full...
Why would all other seats be full? I haven't seen Amtrak overselling the trains I ride, but even if they did why wouldn't they simply follow the traditional model where whoever arrives first gets their seats as purchased and whoever arrives last gets to deal with the consequences? In general I don't think most (LD) trains are going out with every single seat taken but if they are there is still plenty of precedent for how to deal with it objectively and without arbitrarily penalizing single travelers.
At every station, they do not always open every door, so they try to seat people by destination whenever possible. A family could board, a certain car, and find that ever row has 1 person only in each row at the window seat. But there are rows of 2 available 3 cars back. Should they lug all their luggage thru 3 cars just so they can sit together?
huh.gif
And if that same (first) car is the only one where they open the door at the destination, should they lug all their bags thru the same 3 cars again?
huh.gif

rolleyes.gif
Why do I get the feeling that something similar has happened to the_traveler even when he wasn't on a train? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back