Best food on the train that you had

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn Ryu

Conductor
Personally, my favorite dish that I ate was the buffalo meat loaf they served on Empire Builder between Montana and North Dakota. The meat was juicy and tender, and the sauce they gave was spicy a little, yet sweet. It was delicious.

So what is your favorite Amtrak food?

Put me down for the Crab Cakes on the Crescent, ;) for desert the Bourboun Pecan Pie on the City of New Orleans is in a league of it's own! :wub: (Sometimes the Steaks are great too when cooked right, other times not so great, depends on the train and the chef!)

The Duck served in the PPC on the Coast Starlight is quite good! But then again just about any food on a train is good simply because to eat it, you're on a train :D

The Top Sirloin cooked over real charcoal on the Southern Crescent was almost in a dead heat with their fried chicken and cream gravy. The Merchants Limited (New Haven RR)served a great fish~ wish I could remember what kind. :eek:hboy:

I thought the ravioli on the CL was great, but I enjoyed the peanut butter pie dessert even more!

I've had some very fine New York strip steaks on the last few CS trips I've taken (tip: order it one notch rarer than you would at a restaurant ;) ).

My fav for lunch is the chipotle-black bean veggie burger (with cheese and bacon :) ). Very tasty!

Salmon Salad on the Coast Starlight was great and the peanut butter chocolate pie on any train is great. I just had it on the southbound Silver Meteor last weekend. They did not have it on the northbound Meteor. :(

I would say the steak. Maybe it was sirloin. Not sure. I usually try to get it each time.

I've had some very fine New York strip steaks on the last few CS trips I've taken (tip: order it one notch rarer than you would at a restaurant ;) ).

My fav for lunch is the chipotle-black bean veggie burger (with cheese and bacon :) ). Very tasty!
I loved the steak. The mash potato is always good, and Im not too big on mashed potatoes!

The hamburger is always good also, but its pretty much the same on every train.

I too had the Buffalo Meat Loaf on the EB, but the Flat Iron Steak was the best meal I have had. I know most here did not care for it, but I did. Back in the days when, the best meal on the City of Miami was Skillet Fried Chicken with mashers and southern cream gravy and a biscuit. Back then, fried chicken was a good food to eat and everyone did. Member Loretta Lynn, "Crisco Do You Proud every time!" Somewhere, Crisco and Fried Chicken became unhealthy and I can't figure out why. Our great families ate it all the time and they were healthy. lived good lives and had big families!

I'd have to say that the Autotrain meals rank among the best that we've had. The surf and turf was very good and its served with rolls, salad and beverage and coffee/desert. If you look down in the kitchen on any dining car the AT has at least three chefs working there. There are also two or three dining cars on this train and everyone aboard is served a meal, coach passengers included. Its the only route that uses multiple chefs multiple diners and I believe the larger staff makes for better dining. The complimentary wine and cheese hour with fruit, three types of cheese and snacks ( sleeper passengers only) is also a nice touch. The offical policy is four glasses of wine but they hardly ever keep track. For those that have never taken the, AT the wine and cheese hour starts as soon as you board. Being that the AT is the longest passenger train in the world ( about 3/4 mile long) things are done a bit differently than on other LD routes. We enjoy riding on this train very much

I'm going to have to go with the duck in the PPC on the Coast Starlight, though the buffalo meatloaf on the Empire Builder is a very very close second.

If you are going back to pre-Amtrak times, then for me it was no contest.

It was called "The King's Dinner", and it was served on the Illinois Central's all-Pullman "Panama Limited".

The Menu which I copied from "Monarchs of Mid-America", C. 1973 by W. David Randall and Alan R. Lind,Prototype Publications........

How To Live Like Royalty?

Easy!

Enjoy The "King's Dinner"!!

Manhattan or Martini Cocktail

(Swirler Service or On-The-Rocks)

Appetizers

Fresh Gulf Shrimp Cocktail

or

Crab Fingers

(Special Sauce)

A 13 Ounce Bottle of Imported Bertoli Vinrosa

The Fish Course

Charcoal Broiled Boneless Sirloin Steak

Buttered Mushroom Slices

Your Choice of Potato and Vegetable

A Special Salad Created by your Waiter

Dinner bread

A Heady Cheese with Fresh Apple Wedges

Toasted Saltines

I.C. Coffee

Liqueur

(Creme de Cacao, Creme de Menthe or

Blackberry Liqueur

$9.85

(!)

The Ultimate Feast!

Last edited by a moderator:
We once had the chipotle-black bean veggie burger on the Silver Star at lunch. I could not believe how good it tasted. Must be good for you too... I think we ordered it without the cheese.

Had walleyed pike this summer on the Empire Builder and it was quite good. Had never tried it as we don't see this species on our menus too much out here in CA.

We once had the chipotle-black bean veggie burger on the Silver Star at lunch. I could not believe how good it tasted. Must be good for you too... I think we ordered it without the cheese.
I'm thinking about getting veggie meals on the train.

Spareribs on the texas eagle on the way to the STL gathering. It was cooked like you would get at outback steakhouse etc. I also like the Angus burger or all beef burger as it is now called.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm shocked that I'm typing this, but "yes", the best meal I've ever had on Amtrak (other than what the chef used to make just for the crews) is the Chipotle Veggie Black Bean Burger.

I'm no vegan, but man, that menu item, prepared properly, (not sitting under a heat lamp for a long time) truly is tasty.

The steaks have always been so-so, nothing ever close to real steakhouse, same for crab cakes. (hey, I do live in Maryland, so I'm a bit prejudiced) I have to also agree with the salmon and the buffalo, pretty darn tasty.

In my opinion, breakfast has slipped the furthest on Amtrak. Removal of the toasters, (no English muffins, no toast) hardly ever find eggs cooked to order, but they RARELY screw up the grits!

In my opinion, breakfast has slipped the furthest on Amtrak. Removal of the toasters, (no English muffins, no toast) hardly ever find eggs cooked to order, but they RARELY screw up the grits!
I had a couple of good breakfasts on the EB a few months ago. They still do eggs to order and toast (I think I had toast). I normally don't care for turkey sausage but Amtrak's is pretty decent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back