Crew taking up lounge tables - What would you do?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you do?

• Do nothing - go back to my seat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ask to share a table with another passenger

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Ask the crew to share a table

• Complain to the crew

• Total voters

AAARGH!

Conductor
So I was on the Silver Star last month and in the lounge car, 4 of 7 tables were being taken up by crew, and the other side of the lounge was already crowded. This didn't leave any open tables for customers. I was already at one of the tables, but I was thinking, what would I do if I wanted to sit down?

FYI, the conductor, asst. conductor, lounge attendant, and diner LSA (off duty) each had a table.

I have seen this several times on other trips as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, the conductor, asst. conductor, lounge attendant, and diner LSA (off duty) each had a table.
Did they each have official papers spread out on their tables, such that they were actually making use of the space, or was only the conductor at work with tickets and train orders spread across his table (and the rest were just there to hang out)?

If they're all actually working, there's nothing you can say. If one or more of them are clearly just hanging out; there weren't any free tables; and I was a paying (food) customer, I'd ask one of the hanging-out ones if I could join them. If I were just there to enjoy the scenery or read a book or use my laptop (and hadn't bought anything), I might be more reluctant to ask.

So, my choice is really a different one from the options in the poll: I'd ask to share a (non-workspace) table with the crew rather than directly asking a crew member to move. (If the crew member wants to interpret that as a suggestion to move, fine; if they don't, and are fine sharing, fine; but if they say "sit somewhere else", I might point out that there isn't anywhere else at that point.)

So each of these 4 crewed tables had 1 crew sitting there? And tables with passengers had seats available? Pick one table, then ask them to share. Community seating.

So, for me, you'd need another poll choice. Pick any table with an available seat, and ask to share.

Did they each have official papers spread out on their tables, such that they were actually making use of the space, or was only the conductor at work with tickets and train orders spread across his table (and the rest were just there to hang out)?

If they're all actually working, there's nothing you can say. If one or more of them are clearly just hanging out; there weren't any free tables; and I was a paying (food) customer, I'd ask one of the hanging-out ones if I could join them. If I were just there to enjoy the scenery or read a book or use my laptop (and hadn't bought anything), I might be more reluctant to ask.
Each had their own table. The conductor and assistant conductor had papers and/or tickets. The lounge attendant had a laptop (playing a DVD), books, and other personal stuff. The table with the LSA (and at times shared with other diner crew and/or SCAs) was being used just to hang out.

So each of these 4 crewed tables had 1 crew sitting there? And tables with passengers had seats available? Pick one table, then ask them to share. Community seating.
So, for me, you'd need another poll choice. Pick any table with an available seat, and ask to share.
Great point...turn the "tables" on the crew. What do you do when a particular conductor on the Crescent takes his jumbo suitcase and sets it on one table; blocks another table with newspapers and uses another for work space? Wouldn't mind it if it was in the middle of the night but it's between Atlanta and Meridian. Pre-Amtrak he would be walking down the right of way looking for another job.

Isn't that the second option?

Nope, the second option says share with a passenger. I'm choosing share with anyone, passenger or crew, at any table that has a seat open.

Nope, the second option says share with a passenger. I'm choosing share with anyone, passenger or crew, at any table that has a seat open.
So its a coin toss between 2 or 3.

On one than more occasion I have seen the entire Lounge side of a Texas Eagle CCC taken over by crew with paperwork, playing cards, newspapers and what not sprawled across the tables. And sometimes they have gone as far as to ask pax headed to the front of the train (Sleepers) where are they going, possibly "spooking away" some Coach pax who may have been headed to the Diner.

So I worded it poorly. I meant the second option to mean you share a table with another passenger while the third option is to ask two crew to share with each other.

I should have added an option for you sharing with a crew member, but I guess I wouldn't consider that myself. I should have I guess. So for that case, lump it in with # 2 IMO.

I was on the Silver Star leaving WAS last Sunday (Thanksgiving weekend), arriving in Orlando on Monday. The train was full. In fact, an extra coach was added. When I walked through the lounge, one side was fully occupied by passengers. However, on the other side, there was one table with one passenger and all the other tables were taken up by crew (who appeared to be working).

There was a long line of coach passengers waiting to get food in the lounge. I do not know where they went afterwards - maybe back to coach.

I was on the Silver Star leaving WAS last Sunday (Thanksgiving weekend), arriving in Orlando on Monday. The train was full. In fact, an extra coach was added. When I walked through the lounge, one side was fully occupied by passengers. However, on the other side, there was one table with one passenger and all the other tables were taken up by crew (who appeared to be working).
There was a long line of coach passengers waiting to get food in the lounge. I do not know where they went afterwards - maybe back to coach.
I have seen Conductors ask both passengers and crew to share tables. There is really only one group that should be working in the lounge - the Conductor with his/her tickets and manifest. LSAs are not supposed to be doing their reports until the train arrives; however many of them spread all their stuff out to keep a table for themselves. Coach attendants and Sleeping car attendants have rooms to go to when they have down time and are not supposed to be hanging out in the lounge car. This is one of the difficulties that is going to be faced by the new union managers who are supposed to be riding trains. Since they are union, they are generally reluctant to enforce the rules since it against their "sense of family" and they don't want to correct/discipline a fellow union member. This is particularly a problem with dead-heading employees who are in the lounge rather than taking up a coach seat - although it usually is not for a long distance.

This seems to be real problem on trains with the CCC (Eagles and City come to mind!), I know the Conductors have to have a work space but isnt that what downstairs on the transdorm is for? Several of the crew members on the Eagle spend more time in the CCC than they do working their cars, mostly reading books, playing video games, talking on cell phones etc. On the days there is no Sightseer it gets pretty crowded when the train has lots of pax, it's been like this Every time I've ridden the City!

I have ask crew if they could double up or if I could share a table when the few seats available are taken (on the City its mostly people drinking beer and other adult beverages it seems to me! )! Some are friendly and comply, others are surly (there go the tips! Opps!), all tell you to contact Amtrak and tell them to give them back their Sightseer Lounge Car! :rolleyes:

This is one of my biggest Amtrak pet peeves to put it nicely. I really hate when crews and employees 'dominate' the lounge or even from time to time the dining areas. Conductors working there or not those tables/areas should be for the fare paying passengers! They shouldn't have to be asked, the employees should voluntarily give up the space.

I've had several trips with crews and or on board staff 'deadheading back' to wherever dressed in street clothes with their Amtrak IDs out laughing and having a good old time with the on duty employees as well. One trip on the EB I counted 9 of them in the Lower Level of the Lounge Cafe, plus the A/C and the on duty LSA, it was like a reunion down there.

However, I haven't had to ask anybody to move so I could sit yet but I have been grilled more than once on my way back to the sleeper with my purchases in hand after the same group of Diner staff watched me head towards the lounge!

I would email/write/call Amtrak Customer Service if I couldn't find a place to sit in a Cafe or Lounge because the train staff was 'hanging out'. It looks bad and presents the wrong image: Overpaid union/government workers who don't do much if anything for a pay check. I know that's not true at all but to a novice passenger it can really send a negative message. Amtrak needs to better educate their work force regarding this type of behavior. Its all in the presentation.

I would email/write/call Amtrak Customer Service if I couldn't find a place to sit in a Cafe or Lounge because the train staff was 'hanging out'. It looks bad and presents the wrong image: Overpaid union/government workers who don't do much if anything for a pay check. I know that's not true at all but to a novice passenger it can really send a negative message. Amtrak needs to better educate their work force regarding this type of behavior. Its all in the presentation.
.........And, almost all of us carry cell phones these days. I have to tell you, I get a certain amount of mischievous glee when I do this, taking pictures of crew, all splayed out taking up space, it is a GREAT WAY to get them to clear out.

invariably, one of more of them will ask you, "What you taking pictures for?" (because you are focusing on THEM, and not the train or the scenery outside the window) ANSWER. "I'm gonna email it to Amtrak Customer Service, and SHOW them why I couldn't find a table to sit at...."

Be PREPARED for some pretty gruff responses. And if your dining car waiter happens to be in that group, you might want to skip your next meal.

If you don't like confrontation, don't do this. Now I've only done this twice, and only after making obvious attempts to sit down (with my kids all holding carry-out boxes full of snacks) But I was just plain pissed that the crew was having their own little "reunion" as one OP stated.

The effect was like dropping a nuke. GONE. FAST. UGLY SNEERS.

We sat down and enjoyed our snacks, and scenery...............

Obviously, if the crew is working, fine. This hanging out and socializing invariably happens with the worst employees anyway. I usually like to eat in my room anyway, so this would not be too much of an issue. But if they are providing poor service across the board, then the camera phone would be a godd way to help Amtrak clean house.

Obviously, if the crew is working, fine. This hanging out and socializing invariably happens with the worst employees anyway. I usually like to eat in my room anyway, so this would not be too much of an issue. But if they are providing poor service across the board, then the camera phone would be a godd way to help Amtrak clean house.

In addition to individually responding in extreme situations, is there anything the participants in this discussion board can do collectively to get Amtrak to address this problem? It's both inconvenient to us as passengers and also makes Amtrak look terrible to new riders.

Crew should NEVER work or rest in customer areas. If there is a policy, there has been a slow ignoring of the policy which has created a 'right to occupy' mentality.

The Superliners Sleepers for crew have plenty of rest and work space, go there. (I am unsure on the single level trains).

What annoys me even more is when the Dining Car crew barely makes a round in the seating area, then runs to the other end of the car to 'sit and chat' before being bothered to make another round.

In addition to individually responding in extreme situations, is there anything the participants in this discussion board can do collectively to get Amtrak to address this problem? It's both inconvenient to us as passengers and also makes Amtrak look terrible to new riders.
Having traveled frequently on Amtrak, I have had many experiences with crew members. On the trips where the crews have done a good job, this kind of behavior does not happen. In my experience, when you receive poor customer service, you will quite likely see this kind of behavior. When you see crew members monopolizing passenger space to socialize, you already know that they are not interested in waiting on passengers. Asking to share space, or asking them to move, is quite likely to result in a gruff response. I tend to have no patience for this. So I either eat at my seat or in my room. I don't feel like getting in a power struggle with the crew. In some ways I like the phone camera approach, but I would not use it myself. I don't really want to fight with them about it the rest of the trip. However, I could see that if more people did this, then thesw malcontents would be weeded out.

Crew should NEVER work or rest in customer areas. If there is a policy, there has been a slow ignoring of the policy which has created a 'right to occupy' mentality.
The Superliners Sleepers for crew have plenty of rest and work space, go there. (I am unsure on the single level trains).

What annoys me even more is when the Dining Car crew barely makes a round in the seating area, then runs to the other end of the car to 'sit and chat' before being bothered to make another round.
While I tend to agree with you about the Superliners, where are the single-level Conductors supposed to work? On the Acela its nice because there's an office in the café, but on every other train he is going to need either a seat in the lounge car or a set of seats in one of the coaches.

While I tend to agree with you about the Superliners, where are the single-level Conductors supposed to work? On the Acela its nice because there's an office in the café, but on every other train he is going to need either a seat in the lounge car or a set of seats in one of the coaches.
One of the additional problems here is the very backward state of Amtrak's technology. Why is there all this paper to deal with? All of this should be handled on small, handheld, electronic devices without the need for the mounds of material that Amtrak staff seem to spread out on cafe car tables and, even worse, on the CCC's.

The Crew Lounge on the Superliner Trans Dorm is plenty large for all the train crew and their luggage to fit and has tables for work or whatever to be spread out on. If the new Viewliner Baggage Dorms ever come on line, that should offer that option for the east coast trains. Now to "train" the crews to use the spaces provided for them.

One of the additional problems here is the very backward state of Amtrak's technology. Why is there all this paper to deal with? All of this should be handled on small, handheld, electronic devices without the need for the mounds of material that Amtrak staff seem to spread out on cafe car tables and, even worse, on the CCC's.
Read: they're working on that.

See: What can we do about this in the present?

The Crew Lounge on the Superliner Trans Dorm is plenty large for all the train crew and their luggage to fit and has tables for work or whatever to be spread out on. If the new Viewliner Baggage Dorms ever come on line, that should offer that option for the east coast trains. Now to "train" the crews to use the spaces provided for them.
A. I don't remember if the new BagDorms will have a working space built in or not. Maybe, but I don't remember it.

B. That doesn't fix the problem for the non-LD single level trains like the Regionals, Keystones, ect... some of which don't even have café cars with tables to work at--

I agree that the crew should be working out the view or space of the passengers. In Japan on most long distance trains, there are crew booths where the conductor can, with the door open or closed, perform his onboard duties. The door is clearly marked "CONDUCTOR", and as such it is off limits to customers. It is NOT revenue space.

I think the problem on the Viewliner trains is lack of space. But I swear the SA's take up more than just one room when they can, and the crew as mentioned in this thread, like to take over the lounging areas. This is unprofessional and just goes to show that mentality that many of us are disgusted with. I don't know what the union work rules are, but 30 minute

Back