What kind of GPS to use

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get one that you will give you more functionality in different aspects of your life. A gps on a train is just neat and doesn't make any difference in the end so that should not be its primary purpose. If you get one for the car or hiking where it can help you make decisions and then use it for the train as well you will be in better shape.

Don't forget mountain biking! I have a friend who does it with a GPS, says he'd be lost without it! :lol:

Don't discount the turn-by-turn navigation that Google is rolling out on new smartphones. :)

I have a Garman 60cx love it. The base map is poor, plan on spending $80-100 for a road map if looking at this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I will share what I use. When on Amtrak I have Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009 that came with a USB GPS stick. I plug that into my laptop and bam the software takes over and it provides the data including speed and location. I like it because I'm always going to have my laptop so to have GPS all I need is a little stick. (About the size of a USB flash drive).

Just my 2 cents.

Well I will share what I use. When on Amtrak I have Microsoft Streets and Trips 2009 that came with a USB GPS stick. I plug that into my laptop and bam the software takes over and it provides the data including speed and location. I like it because I'm always going to have my laptop so to have GPS all I need is a little stick. (About the size of a USB flash drive).
Just my 2 cents.
Ditto.

Just my 2 cents.
Don't ya have to have an Internet connection card?

Just my 2 cents.

Nope the maps are stored on my hard drive. I can do everything with out the internet.

Just my 2 cents.

Nope the maps are stored on my hard drive. I can do everything with out the internet.
Then how does that tell where you are-real time?

Just my 2 cents.

Then how does that tell where you are-real time?
It comes with a GPS receiver so it links up with the GPS satellites that are up there. Same one your garmin sees.

We loved our Microsoft Trips and Streets we took on our coast-to-coast trip last summer. It was a big hit in the lounge car too, especially with the kids. It was a real lifesaver for me as it kept my husband from becoming bored. Wouldn't want that! We bought the program at Costco. Sorry I don't remember what it cost, but it was quite a bit cheaper than at Best Buy, Staples, or Amazon.

We loved our Microsoft Trips and Streets we took on our coast-to-coast trip last summer. It was a big hit in the lounge car too, especially with the kids. It was a real lifesaver for me as it kept my husband from becoming bored. Wouldn't want that! We bought the program at Costco. Sorry I don't remember what it cost, but it was quite a bit cheaper than at Best Buy, Staples, or Amazon.
I ordered mine from Amazon it was 46 dollars I think.

Not a bad deal--

I do the exact same thing....it's really fun (at least for me!) to follow along and see the upcoming stops. Great program for $40!

Not a bad deal--
Yeah, only problem is it doesn't work with a mac.

Not a bad deal--
That's quite true - I'm absolutely AMAZED that someone hasn't come up with a fix for that, given the growing popularity of the platform. You can run something like streets and trips under boot camp/parallels/fusion, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a Mac (and is tough on the limited hardware available on a laptop).

Not a bad deal--
That's quite true - I'm absolutely AMAZED that someone hasn't come up with a fix for that, given the growing popularity of the platform. You can run something like streets and trips under boot camp/parallels/fusion, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a Mac (and is tough on the limited hardware available on a laptop).
Yup its really annoying. I have only tinkered with it a little bit. The GPS unit doesn't even respond when placed in a USB port on a mac. I suspect you could use a PC and modify the firmware inside and get it working with Google Earth on mac. Sadly, I'm not that good at coding, and wouldn't even no where to start on that one.

so to revive this. any GPS will tell me where the train is and how fast its going. even i got a cheapy one. also will any handheld scanner pickup railroad chatter. there are some nascar ones that will pick up train channels.

Last edited by a moderator:
so to revive this. any GPS will tell me where the train is and how fast its going. even i got a cheapy one. also will any handheld scanner pickup railroad chatter. there are some nascar ones that will pick up train channels.
Correct and assuming you are already taking your laptop along there are options for around $50 that will provide you with your position and speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back