Steak Lovers Beware!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, don't do religion. Especially when it comes to telling you what you can and cant eat, most odd.All your points may or may not be true.

If you order a steak in a restaurant then you expect a grilled cut of beef.
Correction YOU expect a grilled cut of beef... I expect a cut of beef properly prepared in respect of its individual qualities.

Sorry, don't do religion. Especially when it comes to telling you what you can and cant eat, most odd.All your points may or may not be true.

If you order a steak in a restaurant then you expect a grilled cut of beef.
Correction YOU expect a grilled cut of beef... I expect a cut of beef properly prepared in respect of its individual qualities.
At the risk of you dragging this even further into must have the last word land, I would think a grilled cut is what most people expect, despite your protestations. Funnily enough, that's what restaurants serve as well. Shocking that, isn't it?

I wish people would stop digifying it by calling it pot roast. I like pot roast; but what I saw on the LSL #49 on 8/16/09 was not pot roast.

I wish people would stop digifying it by calling it pot roast. I like pot roast; but what I saw on the LSL #49 on 8/16/09 was not pot roast.
The LSL doesn't have a proper diner. It has an entirely different method of service of any LD train...

The LSL doesn't have a proper diner. It has an entirely different method of service of any LD train...

But it does serve the flat iron bordelaise. Thats one of the better things that the diner-lite car can serve.

But it does serve the flat iron bordelaise. Thats one of the better things that the diner-lite car can serve.
True, but-- I dunno, I can't defend the diner-lite. i don't have it in me :lol:

True, but-- I dunno, I can't defend the diner-lite. i don't have it in me :lol:
Riding the CZ, LSL, SWC and CS in the last 3 weeks and ordering whatever wording the menu used for the flat iron, the LSL was the worst of the lot. Especially the veggies, but that's another issue. The CS dish was quite good.

The condition of the sides will affect the palette and the coloring of the memory of the rest of the meal... but that's a separate thread I imagine.

The condition of the sides will affect the palette and the coloring of the memory of the rest of the meal... but that's a separate thread I imagine.
I get your point. However, I ate much of the steak before tasting veggies, and made up my mind then and there this was the worst cut of the trip so far. No doubt the sides are reinforcing my recall of that meal. Fortunately every meal after this was an improvement, so I guess that's a plus. :)

I had the flatiron steak on the "Tehachapi" Starlight last January,and it was good,but still not quite as good as the New York strip steak Amtrak served many years ago.

I wonder what Amtrak would do if I plugged in a George Foreman grill and started passing out real steaks in the sleepers?
How do you call that a "grill" ?
Because that's what it's officially known as.

And if that bothers you, you can take it up with George himself! :D
No such thing as a grill that doesn't use charcoal!

(jk... I know, I know, I know... I use propane, electric, and steam grills too)

At any rate, I thought of another way to think of it...

If steak is simply any amount of beef that has been fried or grilled, then if I put a four pound chuck roast on a grill-- does that make it steak? What about beef tongue fried in light oil? Is that tongue steak?

Before you think of saying "well if you cut the roast up" there, you've got it! The roast needs to be CUT! A steak is a CUT of meat....

I wonder what Amtrak would do if I plugged in a George Foreman grill and started passing out real steaks in the sleepers?
Nah, do it right and toss a Weber Kettle and some charcoal in your carry on and set that bad boy up in the Lower Level entry-I'm sure the SCA and Conductor will be more than happy to open the doors for you to vent the smoke if you cut them in on the bounty!

REAL steaks come from the land of Beef! NEBRASKA, I wished Amtrak used Cetiaks Steaks. They could order them online and have them delivered to Chicago! Best steak I've ever had. Puts Omaha Steaks to shame! I had the 1/2 chicken on my way home on Monday night. I always get the steak until this thread popped up.

REAL steaks come from the land of Beef! NEBRASKA, I wished Amtrak used Cetiaks Steaks. They could order them online and have them delivered to Chicago! Best steak I've ever had. Puts Omaha Steaks to shame! I had the 1/2 chicken on my way home on Monday night. I always get the steak until this thread popped up.
Do you mean Cetaks Steaks?

new_york_strip1819256144.jpg

mmmm :p

Anyone know the grilled Flat Iron STEAK will be restored to Amtrak?

Yes, I spelled it incorrectly. Its also pronounced "chet ox". I always send these steaks now to friends instead of Omaha steaks. I loved the Flat Iron Steak on Amtrak until all the negative reviews from this thread so I stuck with the chicken the other night.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the flat iron would "re-appear" in its intended form after the summer rush.
yes, you are correct. The steak is taken off during the summer rush, since it takes a longer time to prepare and tends to back-log the meals coming out of the kitchen.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that the flat iron would "re-appear" in its intended form after the summer rush.
yes, you are correct. The steak is taken off during the summer rush, since it takes a longer time to prepare and tends to back-log the meals coming out of the kitchen.
Well if this is Amtraks excuse they may as well serve chicken nuggets,big macs and fries!Its supposed to be diner,not a fast food emporium!Save that stuff for the cafe cars/diner-lites-CCCs,when theres a full diner no excuse for crap that costs $22.50!Glad its going away,good riddance!! ;)

Well if this is Amtraks excuse they may as well serve chicken nuggets,big macs and fries!Its supposed to be diner,not a fast food emporium!Save that stuff for the cafe cars/diner-lites-CCCs,when theres a full diner no excuse for crap that costs $22.50!Glad its going away,good riddance!! ;)
*sigh*

You realize that a diner, as in a diner you find in your down like a Denny's... is based out of the old railroad diners?

This isn't supposed to be 5-star....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back