Lake Shore Limited #48 Schedule Change?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
It seems the LSL #48 is changing its schedule to leave CUS at 9:00 now. I tried the date in June that we will be traveling and it lists it as 9:00 departure, arriving in NYP at 625pm.

It now leaves Albany at 3:30.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is being done as part of a reorganization of Albany trains south...at the dinner time hour. Right now, 48 makes all the stops on its way to NYP. While 49 is basically an express to ALB.

BTW: 49 routinely makes it to ALB from NYP in 2H15M. That is WITH the stop Croton and the slow order at the GW bridge. Right now its allowed 2H30M so leaving 10m later is really just getting more in line with reality.

This is being done as part of a reorganization of Albany trains south...at the dinner time hour. Right now, 48 makes all the stops on its way to NYP. While 49 is basically an express to ALB.
BTW: 49 routinely makes it to ALB from NYP in 2H15M. That is WITH the stop Croton and the slow order at the GW bridge. Right now its allowed 2H30M so leaving 10m later is really just getting more in line with reality.
So, 48 will not longer be making the Hudson, Rhinecliff and Poughkeepsie stops, correct? I tried Chicago to those stops and it found no trains available.

Will there still be wine & cheese for the sleeper pax leaving CHI?

This is a good change for this train.... not great but good. 6+ hours in between the Western trains arrival and this trains departure was WAY too much. I'd prefer it to leave around 6:30 or 7:00 with the CL but I guess thats asking too much and there will be another schedule change before I take it again.

There was really no reason for:

1. This train to leave CHI so late

2. This train to sit in Albany 1 hour after it changes engines

3. This train to stop at local stations along the Hudson

1.5 hours earlier into Croton is pretty good though.

This is a good change for this train.... not great but good. 6+ hours in between the Western trains arrival and this trains departure was WAY too much. I'd prefer it to leave around 6:30 or 7:00 with the CL but I guess thats asking too much and there will be another schedule change before I take it again.
There was really no reason for:

1. This train to leave CHI so late

2. This train to sit in Albany 1 hour after it changes engines

3. This train to stop at local stations along the Hudson

1.5 hours earlier into Croton is pretty good though.
I chose this train because it left so late from Chicago. I prefer to have as much time as possible between arrival from a western train and departure east. Now they are taking away one hour, which I can live with, but I liked having it.

There was really no reason for:1. This train to leave CHI so late
It's no secret that the move to a late departure from Chicago was not only to give Amtrak an east coast connection for seriously delayed connecting trains, but my understand is that it was also to soften the blow of moving to a Diner-Lounge model on that train (the late departure affords Amtrak one less full dinner they have to serve heading eastbound).

-Rafi

There was really no reason for:1. This train to leave CHI so late
It's no secret that the move to a late departure from Chicago was not only to give Amtrak an east coast connection for seriously delayed connecting trains, but my understand is that it was also to soften the blow of moving to a Diner-Lounge model on that train (the late departure affords Amtrak one less full dinner they have to serve heading eastbound).

-Rafi
Actually (and this might be what you meant), they don't serve any dinners on the eastbound train. Only breakfast and lunch.

This is why they need a Broadway Limited/Three Rivers train back on the schedule. It could be:

BL: 5:30 Departure

CL: 7:00 Departure

LSL: 9:00 Departure

People travelling home to NY from the west coast could get home late morning/early afternoon instead of wasting the whole day on the train.

So we are booked on the LSL in June and our reservation says 10:00 departure. When and how will Amtrak contact me to let me know of the change? Or will they?

So we are booked on the LSL in June and our reservation says 10:00 departure. When and how will Amtrak contact me to let me know of the change? Or will they?
Last year when the CZ schedule changed they called and emailed me a new itinerary. I'll be on the LSL out of CHI in August, so I expect to get some notice. We'll see.

If the LSL is no longer making stops and may only discharge from Albany East, there is no reason to wait in Albany for the entire hour. It could go when its ready.

It seems the LSL #48 is changing its schedule to leave CUS at 9:00 now. I tried the date in June that we will be traveling and it lists it as 9:00 departure, arriving in NYP at 625pm.
It now leaves Albany at 3:30.
I found that the change from 10 to 9 is effective April 4th through the online reservation form, but I can't find any other information on changes. Even the pdf timetable hasn't changed yet!

Printman,

I booked 2 tickets for my Wife and Myself in late May and when I went back and looked at my reservations online, the change was highlighted and noted. Did you book online? if so, your reservation should note the change :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Printman,

I booked 2 tickets for my Wife and Myself in late May and when I went back and looked at my reservations online, the change was highlighted and noted. Did you book online? if so, your reservation should note the change :eek:
Yeah, that was the first thing I looked at. Mine has not changed and still says 10:00 departure.

Actually, looking at it closer, it is now listing #48 twice, one with the 10:00 and one with the 9:00 departure. Interesting.

Printman,

Yeah, that was the first thing I looked at. Mine has not changed and still says 10:00 departure.

Actually, looking at it closer, it is now listing #48 twice, one with the 10:00 and one with the 9:00 departure. Interesting.
My on-line reservation for the AU Gathering in October also shows two listings - one at 10 and one at 9.

Here is my itinerary with the LSL

When I made the rezzie it was about an hour and a half between trains, now its like half an hour - enough to worry me. When I made the rezzie I was guaranteed, now ????

Should I make a new rezzie or just let Amtrak worry about it?

Here is my itinerary with the LSLWhen I made the rezzie it was about an hour and a half between trains, now its like half an hour - enough to worry me. When I made the rezzie I was guaranteed, now ????

If you can get an earlier train into Chicago, you might want to. I would assume they would still guarantee your current connection, but I would sure hate to miss the LSL.

Here is my itinerary with the LSLWhen I made the rezzie it was about an hour and a half between trains, now its like half an hour - enough to worry me. When I made the rezzie I was guaranteed, now ????

I think it would be a worth a call to Amtrak to see what they say about it being guaranteed now that the time has changed. They may tell you to keep it guaranteed you need to leave STL earlier.

This change was mentioned at the ESPA meeting ion Schenectady last week. Its primary driver is to open up a slot after 5pm out of Albany for 244, so that people who get out of office have a more reliable service to New York, than hoping to have LSL appear into Albany on time. 244 will leave Albany now sometime after 5pm, while LSL leaves earlier by about an hour or a bit more.

At the Schenectady meeting they said that it was still under discussion since they needed to get approval from Chicago, Albany and New York. Apparently they got the necessary approvals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back