Single Level Dining Cars

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

printman2000

Engineer
I was thinking through which trains were still running with Heritage dining cars. Let me know if I missed any...

Crescent, Silver Star, Silver Meteor.

So, why is it the dining car was taken from the LSL and not another train?

I was thinking through which trains were still running with Heritage dining cars. Let me know if I missed any...

Leaving NYP the LSL only serves dinner and breakfast. The Crescent serves five meals one way and four the other. The Star and the meteor also serve more meals than the LSL. Perhaps it was a bean counters choice to utilize the heritage diners to he max.

To be fair, the same question could have been posited should the dining car have been removed from one of the other trains.

In any case, if I recall correctly, the decision was down to either the Crescent or the LSL. While it was never made clear to me, I believe they opted for the LSL because they felt the schedule for that train was better for a temporary downgrade in service (not to start that debate up), and because there would be an easier method for dealing with bad ordered cars and needed parts in Chicago (remember the Cardinal also runs out of CHI with Diner-Lounges).

There may have been other reasons, but that's what I recall off the top of my head.

Rafi

To be fair, the same question could have been posited should the dining car have been removed from one of the other trains.

In any case, if I recall correctly, the decision was down to either the Crescent or the LSL. While it was never made clear to me, I believe they opted for the LSL because they felt the schedule for that train was better for a temporary downgrade in service (not to start that debate up), and because there would be an easier method for dealing with bad ordered cars and needed parts in Chicago (remember the Cardinal also runs out of CHI with Diner-Lounges).

There may have been other reasons, but that's what I recall off the top of my head.

Rafi
That reasoning actually seems to make sense. It stinks for th LSL, but it makes sense.

We were disapointed in our "choices" on the EB LSL. The menu's handed to us had duct tape crossing out most of the menu items. We could have chicken and we could have chicken and dessert was vanilla ice cream and....vanilla ice cream! :p What made up for "lack of choice" was the crew and mostly a guy named Alex. That guy hustled, had a great sense of humor and made the downside of no choices and upside with his attitude!

like this?

ksc22.JPG

like this?
ksc22.JPG
Yup. What I fond totally unacceptable is that the food is often sitting on the counter with passengers walking right by. Passengers should never be allowed to be that close to the food preperation area.
Might be something you could pass on to the Food and Drug Administration. They almost shut down Amtrak after finding rats in the lounge cars and sleepers quite a few years ago. (Back when each sleeper pax was given a snack pack~ apparently the rats were fond of them too!) I believe Amtrak had to sign an agreement to clean things up~ in a hurry.

This is a truly sad situation. When I complained a year or so ago about how lousy I found the condition of the LS back about 12 years, people defended it. It would appear from these photos that now things are much worse.. It mind boggling to figure how we got to such a poor consist on what was a premimum train at one point. We are planning a fall trip out east but I just don't know if that train is worth the ride? We could return on the Capitiol Limited. It would seem to be a better train, but we wanted the scenery out of NY. I guess you just have to accept things the way they are but it sure is hard.

This is a truly sad situation. When I complained a year or so ago about how lousy I found the condition of the LS back about 12 years, people defended it. It would appear from these photos that now things are much worse.. It mind boggling to figure how we got to such a poor consist on what was a premimum train at one point. We are planning a fall trip out east but I just don't know if that train is worth the ride? We could return on the Capitiol Limited. It would seem to be a better train, but we wanted the scenery out of NY. I guess you just have to accept things the way they are but it sure is hard.
We're getting a dinner and a breakfast in there, I'll put up with the experience for the views on the Hudson.

I was on the LSL twice last month, and while I did not like it near as much as a regular dining car, it was okay. Don't let it keep you off this train. The crews we had were excellent and making the best of the car.

I was on the LSL twice last month, and while I did not like it near as much as a regular dining car, it was okay. Don't let it keep you off this train. The crews we had were excellent and making the best of the car.
That's my attitude for the whole x-country trip,

martin.jpg

the LSL is just a small part of it.

So what type of dining car does LSL get? I'm booked on #49, NYP-CHI.
A Diner-lite car. Basically, looks like a Amfleet lounge car.
I looks like an Amfleet lounge car because that's what it was, an Amfleet II lounge car. They changed a few things around, added an extra refrigerator/freezer, put in a steam table, and called it a Diner-Lite car.

As for the food, it's not terrible at all, especially with the right crew onboard. But you won't find anything that is cooked on a grill, as they don't have one. What I do find interesting with the LSL though is what Al (RailFanLNK) pointed out, the fact that they seem to be out of half the menu everytime I ride it. I fail to understand how the LSL can leave Chicago without all the menu choices loaded onboard. And it's not a matter of the crew not wanting to make something, as they started out with no vanilla ice cream onboard.

Either the Chicago comissary isn't doing its job, or for some odd inexplicable reason the LSL isn't being restocked in Chicago and has to carry its entire compliment of food from NYP. There simply is no excuse to be the first one to order lunch in the car on 48 eastbound, only to be told that they don't have something.

As for the food, it's not terrible at all, especially with the right crew onboard. But you won't find anything that is cooked on a grill, as they don't have one. What I do find interesting with the LSL though is what Al (RailFanLNK) pointed out, the fact that they seem to be out of half the menu everytime I ride it. I fail to understand how the LSL can leave Chicago without all the menu choices loaded onboard. And it's not a matter of the crew not wanting to make something, as they started out with no vanilla ice cream onboard.
Another data point for the same thing: the LSL 48 was out of half the entrees (2 of 4, or 3 of 5, I forget which; plus no appetizers, despite their being on the menu) for my mid-June trip. They did have both flavors of ice cream, thank goodness!

I was really impressed with the diner/lite on the Cardinal in October. It was no heritage diner, but the crew made it work as well as it could, they had everything on the menu, and aside from seating and staffing issues, it was decent, and the food was good. But on the LSL, they were almost out of food and what they had wasn't great (terrible chicken sandwich, no tomato because of the Great Tomato Scare). Seating, though, was plentiful because of the horizon lounge car next-door. Now, if they could just put those two concepts together--a full diner/lite menu AND a separate lounge car....

We had breakfast and lunch on the LSL on July 18, leaving CHI on July17.

Excellent scrambled eggs for breakfast, but no omelets. If you can make scrambled eggs, how can you be out of omelets? Very good hamburgers/cheeseburgers for lunch, but almost nothing else. Wifey asked our wonderful server, "since the train started just last night, how come you are out of so much?" He told us that they had a new menu and someone dropped the ball getting supplies to the commissary.

How nice!

Excellent scrambled eggs for breakfast, but no omelets. If you can make scrambled eggs, how can you be out of omelets?
I guess you should have been able to ask for a "poor man's" omelet (no fillings). :lol:

Excellent scrambled eggs for breakfast, but no omelets. If you can make scrambled eggs, how can you be out of omelets?
Because the scrambled eggs are pre-made and reheated. There is no grill, so they can not make an omelet!
I think I can improve upon this answer:

Because the scrambled eggs are pre-made and reheated. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs! :lol:

The last time I was on a Silver, they had to substitute a different than normal dining car.

Sorry, I am not into ID'ing slight differences in cars. I do remember the dining staff mentioning that it had a different number of booths (either a couple more or a couple less). The staff also mentioned being a bit disorganized because some things were kept in a different place.

So, I wonder are the Heritage cars wearing out, and there aren't enough working to support all LD trains?

The last time I was on a Silver, they had to substitute a different than normal dining car.

Sorry, I am not into ID'ing slight differences in cars. I do remember the dining staff mentioning that it had a different number of booths (either a couple more or a couple less). The staff also mentioned being a bit disorganized because some things were kept in a different place.

So, I wonder are the Heritage cars wearing out, and there aren't enough working to support all LD trains?
The only other single level "dining" car that Amtrak has is the Diner-Lite, so that is definately what you experienced, and has far less tables than a normal Heritage diner. And yes, that is exactly what has been steadily occuring for the past couple of years. As Heritage cars become too expensive to maintain and too unreliable to place on a revenue run, Amtrak simply retires them. This caused a huge deficit in the diner fleet, which prompted the refurbishment of Amfleet II lounge cars into "Diner-Lite" so that single level LD trains could still guarantee having a diner in the consist. To make it easier and predictable, the LSL permanently stripped of Heritage diners and replaced with the new cars. The Cardinal was also given a new lounge as an "upgrade" from its typical cafe car. There are two possible scenerios for your experience. 1: The Heritage diner was bad ordered and the diner-lite car was simply taken off from the LSL to fill in for it, or 2: The LSL consist from the previous day was used as that day's Silver Star/Meteor as a result of accident or hastiness.

We had breakfast and lunch on the LSL on July 18, leaving CHI on July17.
Excellent scrambled eggs for breakfast, but no omelets. If you can make scrambled eggs, how can you be out of omelets? Very good hamburgers/cheeseburgers for lunch, but almost nothing else. Wifey asked our wonderful server, "since the train started just last night, how come you are out of so much?" He told us that they had a new menu and someone dropped the ball getting supplies to the commissary.

How nice!
Sorry Rich, but what you were told is bunk! I rode the LSL on the 5th of July, and they were out of most things and that included the vanilla ice cream. And when I rode it last October. they were out of things too.

The simple answer remains one of the following, either someone in Chicago isn't doing their job, someone is trying to cut costs by not stocking the train properly, or for some inexplicable reason Chicago isn't restocking the train at all.

Because the scrambled eggs are pre-made and reheated. There is no grill, so they can not make an omelet!
I think I can improve upon this answer:

Because the scrambled eggs are pre-made and reheated. You can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs! :lol:
Actually when Amtrak first introduced SDS they had pre-plated omlettes on the menu until the chef's protested and convinced Amtrak that they could still make omlettes without impacting overall service. And they manage to serve them on Acela in the past too without a grill. Not sure if any of the current Acela menus carry an omlette on them.

Al forgot to mention the chocolate sundaes that we had for lunch on the LSL! Since they were out of everything (other than chicken sandwiches and ice cream) I had asked for ice cream with chocolate on top. I think Al and my girls were very embarrased that I had asked for such a thing, but it wasn't too long and here comes our waiter with four cups of ice cream and chocolate syrup. He emptied the ice cream onto a plate and drizzled chocolate syrup over the top. Was a very nice touch! :rolleyes: Needless to say, he was tipped very well for his extra effort.

Brenda

We were disapointed in our "choices" on the EB LSL. The menu's handed to us had duct tape crossing out most of the menu items. We could have chicken and we could have chicken and dessert was vanilla ice cream and....vanilla ice cream! :p What made up for "lack of choice" was the crew and mostly a guy named Alex. That guy hustled, had a great sense of humor and made the downside of no choices and upside with his attitude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back