yet another thread on tipping in the diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notwithstanding the impression some try to construct here, tipping is not mandatory. Tip if you feel like it. Don't if you don't. None of the Amtrak employees will have their quality of life affected as much as say a restaurant employee who gets paid sub minimum wages.

I hear you, Rick, and I have mentioned that I think tipping in the dining car is a grey area. My comment was that a couple dollars over 10% wouldn't amount to much even if the bill is for 2 people and came to $50. 10% is $5 and a few more is $7 for a meal that is one of the highlights of a day in which I will be spending $300 to $600 on my roomette or room. It isn't my place to tell anyone what to tip, but for me, tipping $7 or $10 for dinner and $4 or $5 for lunch isn't that big a deal considering what I am paying for the accommodations. It wasn't that long ago I couldn't afford a sleeper and slept in the coach seats, but I still tipped the server. It isn't boasting, it is sharing an opinion on something that has been discussed several times in the past couple years, so there is obviously a spectrum of opinions. YMMV.

Just from my observation at dinner in the diner where a meal for two is probably in the $55/60 range, I rarely see anything but a few Washingtons thrown on the opposite side of the table.
Me too.

When comparing to folks on this forum, I feel like a miserly tipper.

When I see the people around me on the train, i feel I'm being generous beyond all reason.
Finally, two posters on AU realise that the boastful tippers on AU, in these tipping threads, keep bidding up what they try to impose on the majority real world Amtrak riders, who have to consider the economics of each ones situation. You can tip all you want. Tipping is a 100% optional decision by riders. Please don't belittle or think less of your fellow riders, because they don't meet your standards. The person across the table might need that tip more than the server making $25 an hour plus tips.

I don't think those rules are intended to prevent small token tips, and even more so if it has nothing to do with any transaction in which the company is a party directly or indirectly. But of course, if you don't want to tip, you should not have to lean on someone else to arrive at that conclusion
default_tongue.png
Juuust kidding.
default_wink.png
I work for the Feds and tips are not allowed, even as small as $1. Nothing. No way. We'd be fired for taking tips. If someone brings in candy or something similar and it has a low value, the office can accept it and the items are for everyone. Anything worth a chunk of change is refused.

By that reasoning, if you go to your state Capitol and have a lunch in the restaurant in that building, you don’t tip the server because they are a Government employee. If you claim they are not, why do you claim Amtrak servers are Government employees?
default_huh.png

Sure, Amtrak gets a subsidy from the Government (via Congress), but so does your manufacturer of your car. So are all Dodge employees Government employees too?
default_huh.png
I'd bet that the restaurant in the Capitol does not employ state workers. If you have been to a national park and go to a lodge or restaurant there, you are not being served by federal employees.

Differences between most restaurant employees and Amtrak folks are that Amtrak has their own retirement system and their workers don't make minimum wage or sub-minimum wage.

what they try to impose on the majority real world Amtrak riders
Nobody is trying to impose anything on anybody.

Tipping is a 100% optional decision by riders. Please don't belittle or think less of your fellow riders, because they don't meet your standards.
Yeah, this isn't happening either. You're arguing against a strawman. Thanks for your valuable efforts to argue otherwise. They really make the forum a better place in every single thread you drive it into.
14c1pl.jpg

1ocgwb.jpg

When it comes to government employees, gifts are a no-go. I need to check every gift individually with our integrity officer and record it.
That must be an agency-specific thing. We're allowed nominal gifts under a certain value. I'd have to dig the handbook out of wherever I dumped it after new hire training for the particulars, but there is no blanket prohibition.

If I were to implement that literally, I'd have a problem tipping on Amtrak, right?
No, since Amtrak employees aren't government employees.

By that reasoning, if you go to your state Capitol and have a lunch in the restaurant in that building, you dont tip the server because they are a Government employee.
They're almost certainly contractors and not government employees either.

I don't think those rules are intended to prevent small token tips, and even more so if it has nothing to do with any transaction in which the company is a party directly or indirectly. But of course, if you don't want to tip, you should not have to lean on someone else to arrive at that conclusion
default_tongue.png
Juuust kidding.
default_wink.png
I work for the Feds and tips are not allowed, even as small as $1. Nothing. No way. We'd be fired for taking tips. If someone brings in candy or something similar and it has a low value, the office can accept it and the items are for everyone. Anything worth a chunk of change is refused.
I was not talking of feds. I was talking about my experience working for a publicly traded global company and its ethics policies. The hanky panky that potentially goes on especially in government contracts (not necessarily US Government mind you, it is just one of our customers. There are dozens of other governments and their agents that we deal with routinely) can be quite mind boggling and we get annual training on what is and is not allowed.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Amtrak's official word on tipping - "While there is no requirement to tip, our employees always appreciate recognition for providing superior service."So tipping is optional, which is the official stance for most food service locations.

By that reasoning, if you go to your state Capitol and have a lunch in the restaurant in that building, you don’t tip the server because they are a Government employee. If you claim they are not, why do you claim Amtrak servers are Government employees?
default_huh.png

Sure, Amtrak gets a subsidy from the Government (via Congress), but so does your manufacturer of your car. So are all Dodge employees Government employees too?
default_huh.png
Worm of cans I lid on back put
default_smile.png

I would still be interested in a definitive answer to the original question: Do dining car servers have to pay taxes on tips that they "should have" (but might not actually have) received? I.e., if a server works a shift and receives no tips, are they really "paying out of pocket for the privilege of serving you"?

My personal philosophy on tipping in the dining car has always been that the prices printed on the menu are irrelevant, because I would never pay those prices for that food if it weren't already included in my sleeper fare. (I don't eat in the dining car when I travel in coach.) When it comes time to tip, I don't figure the amount by adding up everything I ordered and calculating a percentage - I usually just leave a few dollars for each meal. But if it's true that the servers are paying taxes based on a percentage of what I ordered, I'll start paying closer attention to my total "bill."

What I was trying to say about the restaurant in the Capitol is that those servers are not State/federal employees, just like Amtrak Dining Car servers (and all Amtrak employees) are not federal employees.

Yes, they may be paid more than other servers, but do you tip a server at La Ritz less than you do one at Joe Slophouse, just because the server at La Ritz is paid more?

As stated, tipping your Dining Car server on Amtrak is voluntary, as it is at Denny’s, IHOP, or any other restaurant.

Yes, they may be paid more than other servers, but do you tip a server at La Ritz less than you do one at Joe Slophouse, just because the server at La Ritz is paid more?
Amtrak dining car staff have a base salary that is an order of magnitude more than typical restaurant workers and they also enjoy employment and retirement benefits that vastly exceed those of most Americans. They don't have to worry about handling special requests or cooking your meal a certain way or even knowing what ingredients are used. To be perfectly honest if I ever received Amtrak level service from any Ritz-Carlton I probably wouldn't tip anything at all. In fact I'd likely get my meal comped with a never ending series of apologies. Except that's never actually happened. Probably because Ritz-Carlton staff are well trained to provide friendly and professional customer-focused service instead of barking instructions and treating customers like a nuisance.

Last edited by a moderator:

As stated, tipping your Dining Car server on Amtrak is voluntary, as it is at Dennys, IHOP, or any other restaurant.
Well first... The difference in pay for a server from Joes Slop House vs. La Ritz is probably quite minimal. In fact, La Ritz may pay the same because the "extra" income would be from the higher tips due to higher priced meals and alcahol.

A server at an ihop or Denny's makes $2-3 an hour with no benefits.

A server on Amtrak starts at $16 an hour with benefits. Im not sure how anyone could make a comparison between the 2.

(This is an opinion coming from a long term Amtrak rider who always tips unless service is really really bad.)

Those that work in restaurants with sit down service can choose the place they want to work. Many prefer to work at Denny's or IHOP verses say a Chili's or Olive Garden. Either location is hard work, but the tipping is generally better at the higher priced restaurants. Some Restaurants the servers share a portion of their tips with the bus boy helping them clear tables and the cooks in the kitchen. Now on Amtrak, the servers are paid a nicer salary and benefits, but the working conditions are different. Yes, they choose Amtrak instead of Olive Garden, but also, they are not home every night to be with family, to take care of family needs, so they care compensated for this inconvenience. Most people could not work the days/hours that the Amtrak staff works because they couldn't be away from their homes. The Amtrak staff have found a way to make it work so their can earn their wages and tips. I have found some terrific people working in the DC. Unfortunately, there are some who have a bad attitude that ruin the others. I tip the servers when they do a good job, are friendly, and especially when they remember me. Having traveled away from home for years and years, over 40 weeks a year, I understand the sacrifices that are made to support the family. Maybe, they have a child in school with ever possible dollar trying to pay the expenses because the available credit is almost maxed out. I don't have a lot of money, but I appreciate the service received and the effort required.

Those that work in restaurants with sit down service can choose the place they want to work. Many prefer to work at Denny's or IHOP verses say a Chili's or Olive Garden. Either location is hard work, but the tipping is generally better at the higher priced restaurants. Some Restaurants the servers share a portion of their tips with the bus boy helping them clear tables and the cooks in the kitchen. Now on Amtrak, the servers are paid a nicer salary and benefits, but the working conditions are different. Yes, they choose Amtrak instead of Olive Garden, but also, they are not home every night to be with family, to take care of family needs, so they care compensated for this inconvenience. Most people could not work the days/hours that the Amtrak staff works because they couldn't be away from their homes. The Amtrak staff have found a way to make it work so their can earn their wages and tips. I have found some terrific people working in the DC. Unfortunately, there are some who have a bad attitude that ruin the others. I tip the servers when they do a good job, are friendly, and especially when they remember me. Having traveled away from home for years and years, over 40 weeks a year, I understand the sacrifices that are made to support the family. Maybe, they have a child in school with ever possible dollar trying to pay the expenses because the available credit is almost maxed out. I don't have a lot of money, but I appreciate the service received and the effort required.
Working conditions certainly ARE different on a train. DC staff are often tasked with working all three meals. They have no choice but to work overtime, especially when trains are late. On LD runs they must be away from home up to six days in a row. They must balance those trays with the strength of a gymnast and the grace of a ballet dancer despite the rock/roll of a train on sometimes questionable track. They survive in a bureaucratic nightmare where creativity, once cherished, is now frowned upon--and where the employee handbook is literally 806 pages thick!. They get stiffed tip-wise a lot more often than wait staff in stationary restaurants do.

And despite all this, when I was younger I would have given anything to work on a LD train. Regrets. Never happened.

Other OBS staff work hard too, sometimes lucky to get four hours of sleep several nights in a row.

Even though they may make more per hour and get better benefits than many people, I don't begrudge anyone working on board Amtrak trains a decent tip unless they go out of their way to show me disrespect.

Working conditions certainly ARE different on a train. DC staff are often tasked with working all three meals. They have no choice but to work overtime, especially when trains are late. On LD runs they must be away from home up to six days in a row. They must balance those trays with the strength of a gymnast and the grace of a ballet dancer despite the rock/roll of a train on sometimes questionable track. They survive in a bureaucratic nightmare where creativity, once cherished, is now frowned upon--and where the employee handbook is literally 806 pages thick!. They get stiffed tip-wise a lot more often than wait staff in stationary restaurants do.

And despite all this, when I was younger I would have given anything to work on a LD train. Regrets. Never happened.

Other OBS staff work hard too, sometimes lucky to get four hours of sleep several nights in a row.

Even though they may make more per hour and get better benefits than many people, I don't begrudge anyone working on board Amtrak trains a decent tip unless they go out of their way to show me disrespect.
Very nicely stated!

I would still be interested in a definitive answer to the original question: Do dining car servers have to pay taxes on tips that they "should have" (but might not actually have) received? I.e., if a server works a shift and receives no tips, are they really "paying out of pocket for the privilege of serving you"?

My personal philosophy on tipping in the dining car has always been that the prices printed on the menu are irrelevant, because I would never pay those prices for that food if it weren't already included in my sleeper fare. (I don't eat in the dining car when I travel in coach.) When it comes time to tip, I don't figure the amount by adding up everything I ordered and calculating a percentage - I usually just leave a few dollars for each meal. But if it's true that the servers are paying taxes based on a percentage of what I ordered, I'll start paying closer attention to my total "bill."
Thanks for attempting to return this thread to the original topic.

Let me throw out some numbers. A customer might order items that total $50 on the menu. If the server is assumed to have received 8% of that amount, then the server's imputed income is increased by $4. If the server's total marginal tax rate is 25%, then the server's theoretical tax liability has increased by $1. If the customer tips $1, the server breaks even. It seems like a pretty low bar.

Did I analyze that correctly?

Amtrak dining car staff have a base salary that is an order of magnitude more than typical restaurant workers and they also enjoy employment and retirement benefits that vastly exceed those of most Americans. They don't have to worry about handling special requests or cooking your meal a certain way or even knowing what ingredients are used. To be perfectly honest if I ever received Amtrak level service from any Ritz-Carlton I probably wouldn't tip anything at all. In fact I'd likely get my meal comped with a never ending series of apologies. Except that's never actually happened. Probably because Ritz-Carlton staff are well trained to provide friendly and professional customer-focused service instead of barking instructions and treating customers like a nuisance.
To be fair, I do feel that for the most part Amtrak staff do provide good service.

But for those that don't, why not? What's the difference between a Ritz Carlton's training and quality management and that on Amtrak?

Ca't Amtrak bring in some Ritz carlton managment and ask them to introduce their training methods? You would think with the higher base salary, that Amtrak should have no difficulty attracting the staff, and can thus take their pick and select the best of the best.

Okay, as others have said, the travelling and being away from home and family is a minus. But there are actually quite a few people who don't mind.

Thanks for attempting to return this thread to the original topic.

Let me throw out some numbers. A customer might order items that total $50 on the menu. If the server is assumed to have received 8% of that amount, then the server's imputed income is increased by $4. If the server's total marginal tax rate is 25%, then the server's theoretical tax liability has increased by $1. If the customer tips $1, the server breaks even. It seems like a pretty low bar.

Did I analyze that correctly?
If I order ameal for a value of 50$, to which server is that accounted. Sometimes one server may take my order, another bring it, and a third bring the next course etc.

And if the imputed tip is shared, on a diner with 4 staff that would be 0.25$ each.

Not that I would ever not tip without a very good reason, mind you, but playing the devil's advocate here.

But if it's true that the servers are paying taxes based on a percentage of what I ordered, I'll start paying closer attention to my total "bill."
As stated earlier by a member with 30 years experience in the hotel industry (post #2), that only applies to food service or tipped workers paid less than mimimum wage.

Amtrak servers get paid union wages that another member stated start at $16 per hour (post #63).

So Amtrak servers only have to pay tax on their actual income from tips, if they declare that income.

As stated earlier by a member with 30 years experience in the hotel industry, that only applies to food service or tipped workers paid less than mimimum wage.
The IRS publication and form that were linked earlier did not, as far as I could tell, make this distinction. Perhaps things have changed.

What I was referring to in my post is that large employers with tippable food service employees (Amtrak certainly qualifies) are required to impute 8 % of the gross food service sales as tips and report that amount both on the employee’s W2 form (in Box 8) and to the IRS.
Can anyone confirm or refute the assertion that Amtrak dining car employees are required to report imputed tips? What about sleeping car attendants?
Per post #1 the 8% issue is relative to the employer, not the employee.

The IRS publication Ryan references is for tipped employees.

"

Introduction

This publication is for employees who receive tips."

What I was referring to in my post is that large employers with tippable food service employees (Amtrak certainly qualifies) are required to impute 8 % of the gross food service sales as tips and report that amount both on the employees W2 form (in Box 8) and to the IRS.
Can anyone confirm or refute the assertion that Amtrak dining car employees are required to report imputed tips? What about sleeping car attendants?
Per post #1 the 8% issue is relative to the employer, not the employee.
The IRS publication Ryan references is for tipped employees.

"

Introduction

This publication is for employees who receive tips."
The IRS publication Is for employers, but it's policies and regulations effect directly upon what is reported employee's (s') taxable compensation.

As former self employed and business owners' for much of our lives, my husband began working for someone else about seven years ago. We have lived for extended periods of time out of our home state. Many of the former non-taxable compensation began showing up as taxable last year. The only definitive answers as to the changes (to my business background satisfaction) came from accessing the EMPLOYER IRS publications.

Just my 2 cents. FWIW :)

Sent from aboard the #4 SOUTHWEST CHIEF. Where although we are over a hour late, all of the OBS staff have been outstanding!

Back