what about small animals in carriers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The estimated $49.8 billion needed to retro-fit baggage cars for pets could easily be made up by two to four passengers per train turned away because of AMTRAK's onerous no-pets policy. An accumulation of such restrictive policies by AMTRAK can amount to their lack of ridership and revenue. Yet, we're supposed to tax everyone who thus can't ride AMTRAK to pay for it?!
I find the part I italicized equally made-up sounding. I seriously doubt that there would be 2-4 more people on every single train that Amtrak runs if pets were allowed. Of course, if the poster has any evidence to back the claim up, I stand ready to be corrected.

Some people assume their pets have the same rights as passengers.

If you have a dog and don't ride, it's because you chose not too, not because you have a dog.

Thumbing through the Timetable, I noticed that human remains can be carried by Amtrak. Wouldn't that have to be temperature controlled?
Wouldn't that be the same likely place as pets could be carried?

Are baggage cars temp controlled?

..just wondering.
I really need my human remains in coach with me.

(oh wait, I thought this was the Greyhound forum, sorry)

I don't get why it is so dificult to leave the danged animal in the house with an automatic feeder.

Though I do agree that no passenger should be involuntarily subjected to an animal just for riding Amtrak, perhaps there is a happy medium. Someone suggested a designated pet car. I'll confess the only train I've had experience with is the Crescent, but what about either having a designated car either at the very head of the train just behind baggage, or very rear. That way, people don't have to walk through a pet zone just to take care of going to the restroom or eating unless they indicate that they don't care if they sit in the pet car.
This could create some equipment troubles for Amtrak however as they couldn't recycle that particular car back into regular service without a REALLY REALLY REALLY thorough cleaning first.
Right, a pet car designation would stay with a given physical coach car in a way that a quiet car designation doesn't. And it ought to be on the end of the train, which would have to mean the back of the train on the Superliner trains if you don't want passengers wandering through the crew only part of the transdorm.

On the other hand, making it a car with lower density seating than a standard coach and having some space specifically designed for pets might also make sense.

Another possibility on the Superliner trains might be to make only the lower level the pet section, though I'm not sure how effectively that would really help people with allergies avoid exposure when walking through the upper level.

I don't get why it is so dificult to leave the danged animal in the house with an automatic feeder.
I assume you're joking but in case you're not: In my experience, young cats can be left alone for longer periods than dogs. With my 2 dogs I would come back to a home that smelled like a barnyard. Pet sitters and neighbors can't read the "cues" like owners so it would be inevitable. We did travel with a cat for a summer and at 20 years old he was content to sit still for the entire ride. He could have endured a train ride. The dogs would be a handful and one would be howling at every horn blow.

I don't recall if the OP said she was permanently moving or just vacationing. If vacationing, I would agree with you even though vets suggest that no companion animal should be left untended for long periods of time.

Dogs are different. You need to put them in the kennel. But fact of the matter is, if you own a dog, you need to factor kenneling into the overall expense of traveling. Pets make rotten travel companions.

(Aside: The former postmaster in Port Costa, population a couple of hundred, no station or transit or even public phone, a long walk to anywhere inhabited, reports that smokers sometimes came in asking for help after being put off the CZ, CS or Capital Corridors. He thought this was entirely appropriate and only gave walking directions.)
Thank you for a rare treat...I wondered 'where is this "Port Costa"?', so I googlemapped it, and about a half-mile (north)west of it, in the satellite image, is what I would guess is a CC train (perhaps just having dropped a smoker there). :lol: link. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again, you fellow Amtrak lovers have given an innocent question the guillotine response. Amazing how you are experts in the field of animal assistance programs. Note to all: Dogs are not just for the blind. They are trained for seizure patients, and other folks who may experience traumatic medical conditions. Yes, I suppose an attendant could help guide a blind person to the bathroom and dining car. But do you really want to ring that bell when half the time no one comes? Is the attendant going to anticipate a seizure for the passenger? I think not. Guide dogs and medical pups don't bark, unless there is an emergency. Get educated before you comment. It's embarrassing and distasteful for any handicapped passenger to read this thread. Afterall, the question was whether she/he could bring a cat. An answer of no would have been suitable, without the added diatribes and flippant responses. I hope my sister-in-law who has a guide dog never meets the likes of you.

I don't recall suggesting that that only the blind need them. However, I have seen in my life a great deal of "guide dogs" that are clearly not working animal. A working animal, by nature, has to be well trained, intelligent, alert to surroundings, and obedient. A yapping little rat like a toy poodle that snaps at everyone and barks all over the place is not a work dog, is not assisting anyone, and the person calling it a service animal is a dirty, rotten liar.

There are a lot of people who abuse the term. Wish being cynical didn't have to make sense, but unfortunately it does.

Once again, you fellow Amtrak lovers have given an innocent question the guillotine response. Amazing how you are experts in the field of animal assistance programs. Note to all: Dogs are not just for the blind. They are trained for seizure patients, and other folks who may experience traumatic medical conditions. Yes, I suppose an attendant could help guide a blind person to the bathroom and dining car. But do you really want to ring that bell when half the time no one comes? Is the attendant going to anticipate a seizure for the passenger? I think not. Guide dogs and medical pups don't bark, unless there is an emergency. Get educated before you comment. It's embarrassing and distasteful for any handicapped passenger to read this thread. Afterall, the question was whether she/he could bring a cat. An answer of no would have been suitable, without the added diatribes and flippant responses. I hope my sister-in-law who has a guide dog never meets the likes of you.
Fellow Guest Guest,

The original poster did not mention the cat being an assistance animal. She seemed to be referring to surreptiously taking an animal aboard to take it with her which is against Amtrak rules. That's probably how most on here read it.

These boards are entertainment, rehashing, hobbying, lobbying a little bashing and assistance based on personal experiences, nothing much more . Admittedly, it takes a thick skin to stay, but if you do you'll learn these things. If your relative were to ask a direct question about a handicapped animal companion she would be given a pretty compassionate reply- even from GML. It would be hard to keep a straight face if the companion were an iguana and someone who would choose that route should expect some razzing or choose a more accepted animal. A poker face has its limits. There are a few hot topics that generate continual controversy but dealing with a handicap is not usually one of them.

And, although I don't need a companion animal to deal with my petite mal seizures, I'm sure that if I had the need to ask questions, this group would rise to the occasion. Read some of the backgrounds and threads and you'll notice that there are several posters with handicaps.

I've been given the guillotine treatment several times but am still here.

Other Guest Guest

If animals on carriers mewing, or offending with dander is not allowed, so too should children and babies be banned. A crying child or one that has soiled itself is far more offensive. I would rather have the seat next to me occupied by a woman with a child who is not contained in the least.

We did travel with a cat for a summer and at 20 years old he was content to sit still for the entire ride. He could have endured a train ride. The dogs would be a handful and one would be howling at every horn blow.
Well, since this thread has resurfaced, I'll affirm what Guest said above several months ago. My two six-year-old cats traveled excellently by automobile from Philadelphia to Lynchburg to Las Vegas, and back so far to Lynchburg. Quiet, polite passengers. They were fine for ten hours at a stretch in small carriers between hotel rooms (which is to say, ten hours at a stretch without food, water, or litter) several days in a row. I gave them the option to wander around in the car, but after a quick exploration they settled back into their carriers with their security blankets. (Well, actually, despite the smallness of the carriers, both cats preferred to cuddle together in one!) Cats are very sturdy, relatively not-needy creatures.

I would feel totally comfortable, based on this experience, letting them travel just like this Philadelphia to Lynchburg in an HVAC baggage.

Along the way, my cats saw their first Amtrak train, the Southwest Chief at Winslow:

And got their first ride on the rails, on Fort Smith Light & Traction car #224 (Fort Smith, Arkansas):

Horn blows are nothing compared to the noise of a vintage 1919 trolley on bumpy track! And they seemed totally content to look at the scenery, the motorman, and the conductor the whole ride :D The conductor said he'd never had cats as passengers before, but was very happy to take them aboard.

They've become railfans:

And they got to meet Smoky, the cat who lives in Frisco #4003 (with her caretaker, docent of the Fort Smith Trolley Museum Dr. Martin):

Ok, I'll stop with the cat photos before y'all get catty :eek: :p

Dogs are different. You need to put them in the kennel. But fact of the matter is, if you own a dog, you need to factor kenneling into the overall expense of traveling. Pets make rotten travel companions.

I am a frequent traveller and I find that my two dogs are better traveling companions than most humans.... Obviously you do not have a dog or if you do not he/she leads a very sad life with a very unappreciative owner.

Since this has been dusted off & brought up, I will add to it.

I have had several dogs/cats over the years. Some really liked travel, others were nervous wrecks.

We currently have a cat & several birds including a large parrot. The cat hates to travel, the parrot seems to like it ,but he can be very noisy. I would not want to subject others to his noise, as much as I will miss him while we're gone.

There's no guarantee that he would like it, and that means he would be difficult to handle at best.

My desire for his companionship must be weighed, IMHO, with what is best for him, and those that would be around him, even though I know he will miss us while we're gone. :D

The Alaska RR allows dogs. In fact the time I rode it in the winter they were picking up dog teams along the way. Most stayed in the baggage car with their dogs. But one lady brought her husky through the cars with her. It was big as a horse.

I recall on a trip on the Southwest Chief a few years back a man had one of those little yapper dogs with him on the train. This one didn't yap and was very well trained. I don't know the nature of the man's disability, though he wasn't blind. He may well have been prone to seizures and this one was trained to detect them. At any rate, it was good to see one of those little annoying dogs being useful, for a pleasant change. ;)

I recall on a trip on the Southwest Chief a few years back a man had one of those little yapper dogs with him on the train. This one didn't yap and was very well trained. I don't know the nature of the man's disability, though he wasn't blind. He may well have been prone to seizures and this one was trained to detect them. At any rate, it was good to see one of those little annoying dogs being useful, for a pleasant change. ;)

I believe they were on their wat to the national finals of the chwowa ) sp ? punting contest.

As a side note, I lost a companion dog several years ago. She was a "bar dog". we would pull up to the lounge. she would jump out and nose the door open and run behind the bar and "worship" the slim jim rack. This dog was a wonderful dog, didn't make a sound unless her tail got caught in the door type of dog. Everyone in the bar was very fond of Agnes and if she wasn't with me, I had to go home and get her

Over several years only one new person to the bar objected and would mutter ugly remarks and quote local law so I went home and put a lesh on her, put sunglasses on and brought a cane.

It was worth free drinks all night because the jerk ( who no one liked ) knew he was beat and found a new place to drink.

The place I drink now has at least 3 dogs that visit as well as one of those HUGE parrots and no one complains.

I believe they were on their wat to the national finals of the chwowa ) sp ? punting contest.

As a side note, I lost a companion dog several years ago. She was a "bar dog". we would pull up to the lounge. she would jump out and nose the door open and run behind the bar and "worship" the slim jim rack. This dog was a wonderful dog, didn't make a sound unless her tail got caught in the door type of dog. Everyone in the bar was very fond of Agnes and if she wasn't with me, I had to go home and get her

Over several years only one new person to the bar objected and would mutter ugly remarks and quote local law so I went home and put a lesh on her, put sunglasses on and brought a cane.

It was worth free drinks all night because the jerk ( who no one liked ) knew he was beat and found a new place to drink.

The place I drink now has at least 3 dogs that visit as well as one of those HUGE parrots and no one complains.
A few years back we used to go to a local club and bring my Macaw every once in a while. We take him camping, too as long as it's too cool at night. He seems to enjoy all the attention he gets. But on a train, that's very confined space and if he starts squawking, everyone will know he's there!

I need to travel between NYC and Charlotte this week. My cat is a very, very good, quiet traveler and perfectly happy to stay in his carrier. I really to take him with me. Is it possible to discreetly put him under the seat without arousing suspicion?

As a pet lover, I feel cats should not be on public transportation. It is not fair to the cat or to the other travelers. Not sure if there are any "service cats"- if so, what about the litter box????

I cannot believe the ridiculous entries regarding allergies to pets- I understand you have an allergy. If you have an allergy to peanuts are you going make peanuts illegal? You are going to have to live in this world that has animals, food, and a variety of people. Perhaps you need to start exposing yourself little by little so your body can be accustomed to the real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back