what about small animals in carriers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no specific problem with a much larger Amtrak fleet offering pet-friendly accommodations for well heeled patrons in the future. I just don't think they'll ever receive the kind of funding they'd need to setup that kind of a service without impacting those of us who do not travel with pets. Under no circumstances do I find cruelty to animals funny or amusing or lighthearted. Even if you don't care one wit about animal cruelty it's important to remember that some of the most vicious and sadistic members of our society started out abusing and torturing animals before moving on to human prey.

I have no specific problem with a much larger Amtrak fleet offering pet-friendly accommodations for well heeled patrons in the future. I just don't think they'll ever receive the kind of funding they'd need to setup that kind of a service without impacting those of us who do not travel with pets. Under no circumstances do I find cruelty to animals funny or amusing or lighthearted. Even if you don't care one wit about animal cruelty it's important to remember that some of the most vicious and sadistic members of our society started out abusing and torturing animals before moving on to human prey.
There has been talk for years about creating a pet car for the AutoTrain - sponsored by Purina or some other company. There are plans drawn and an implementation plans exists, however it has not gone beyond that phase as of yet. It would be staffed by a rep of the food company and allow visitation of the pets by the passengers. Not a bad idea, but it takes someone to drive the concept.

A former high-upper at Amtrak recently told me it's unlikely that Amtrak will ever relax the no-pets rule. For one thing, in these litigious days many awsuits are filed by people who claim allergic reactions to pets carried on laps in airplanes. Talk has gone on for years about kennel cars (especially on the Auto Train) but "concerns about mechanical failure of environment systems and a disinclination to have to maintain them" has so far put the kibosh on them.

I don't hate pets, I have several of them.

There's just no place for them on Amtrak, and instance that there is belies a fundamental ignorance of the operational challenges that maintaining a separate fleet of "pet" and "non" pet cars would entail.
And I quote from NARP:

"The idea is not a new one. Amtrak (and its predecessors) allowed pets on board until 1976, often in three places—sleeping car rooms, parlor cars (in carriers), and in baggage cars.

Amtrak changed the policy in 1976. Pets were banned from sleeping and parlor cars. They were allowed in containers of specified dimensions in the baggage car (on those trains that had them). Passengers were allowed to visit them en route during station stops of ten minutes or more “when passenger safety and operating conditions permit, by making arrangements with the train conductor.” The reason for the change seems to have been the need to thoroughly clean sleeping car rooms whenever passengers changed over en-route. [smoking is now also banned in such rooms.] NARP objected to the change at the time.

Then in 1977, the federal government issued new animal welfare regulations affecting carriage of pets on trains. There were new requirements for the heating and air conditioning of railroad cars that carry live animals, and for providing a constant supply of fresh water to animals. The agency issuing the requirements was the Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), acting under the Federal Animal Welfare Act of 1966 (as amended in 1976). Amtrak determined that it would need to spend $13.8 million on baggage car changes and special animal shelters in stations to satisfy the new regulations, and ended the carriage of pets rather than comply."

It all comes down to money...pets have been transported by Amtrak...they just don't want to spend the money....and your *Just no place for them on Amtrak* is your opinion my friend (Amtrak in the past transported many animals lol) ...and there are many others that would highly disagree with you :)

So yesterday this lady is carrying a dog in a kennel. A cute little poodle wearing a sweater and looked like it just left the salon. When asked if the animal was a pet she said "no, it's my therapy animal." When asked if the animal was trained she said "my cardiologist recommended a service animal for her therapy." Nobody asked her about a disability or her doctor. Essentially the animal in question wasn't trained to do anything.

That's exactly why, even with the recent changes, the service animal part of the ADA is still too vague and why it will continue to be abused by people who have no legitimate need for a service animal and by people who are lying just to bring their pets onboard.

I have no problem personally with animals. I have five pets myself. I wouldn't have a problem if Amtrak allowed pets. The point is it doesn't and people are devious and dishonest in order to bring their pets. Then every person with a service animal that isn't blatantly obvious, like a seeing eye dog, is then looked upon with suspicion.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have a small dog. He is well trained and we keep him well groomed

and in a wellness program with our vet. He is usually a delight, although

there are times when he is a challenge!!

There have been times when we either flew or drove when we take the dog.

I do not think pets should be permitted on the train because they do not

have facilities (either on the train or at stations) for pets. I have

seen people with pets on the train that are obviously not service animals.

I think Amtrak does a poor job of enforcing their rules for pets.

My son who is currently producing a new show for MTV just took his best pal Mr Winston the Yorkie to Georgia with him via air. The cost was an extra $250 and he had to fly in first class. The airline doesn't have any problem transporting pets and has no concern with passenger allergies or whatever.

Its just a matter of cost. If Amtrak wanted to add a pet car to the Autotrain it can easily be done. You approach a corporate sponsor like Purina, Friskies etc and let them run the pet car. Give them the sides of the car for thier traveling billboard. Of course anyone that wanted to transport their animal would have to pay the cost of a ticket, part of which goes to the operator and the sponsor. Cats use litter boxes but the problem would be the walking of the dogs. The 1 hour layover at Florence could probably be used for this. I can see this service being heavily used on the Autotrain as it the main route where "snowbirds" regularly commute to and from their winter home.

I know that Metrolink allow animals in carriers and I think Amtrak do the same on the short distance train such as surfliner.
Consistent with federal regulations, companion animals, pets, therapy, comfort, or emotional support animals are not classified as service animals for purposes of public transit, and cannot ride on Metrolink trains except when in appropriate animal carriers. For this reason, Metrolink personnel may ask these questions: Is this your pet? Is this an individually trained service animal? What service has this animal been individually trained to do or help you to do?

http://www.metrolinktrains.com/about/?id=15

I don't hate pets, I have several of them.

There's just no place for them on Amtrak, and instance that there is belies a fundamental ignorance of the operational challenges that maintaining a separate fleet of "pet" and "non" pet cars would entail.
It all comes down to money...pets have been transported by Amtrak...they just don't want to spend the money....and your *Just no place for them on Amtrak* is your opinion my friend (Amtrak in the past transported many animals lol) ...and there are many others that would highly disagree with you :)
So what? Like Texas Sunset said, if they had a ton on money there would be a place for them. But back here in reality where Amtrak barely has enough money to survive, it ain't going to happen. It isn't a matter of "don't want to spend the money", it's "there is no money to spend". That's not an opinion, that's a cold, hard fact. Your wishing it weren't so doesn't change a thing.
What would you cut out of Amtrak's budget to make this happen?

There are definitely two issues when considering pets on amtrak trains. The first is on the LD routes - and as previously mentioned, this would require a lot more work than the short haul trains.

I do think that there could be some policies to allow pets on short trains, for example, my dogs easily sit through a 4-5 hour car ride without a break and would do fine on a train. But I do suppose the logistics of this are quite complex - how do you make the rule, how do you enforce it if someone is breaking it, etc. For example it seems that a BOS - NYP route would be fine for most house trained animals in regards to the bathroom situation if they were in a carrier and underneath a seat like in a plane, but how do you allow that and not a BOS - PHL pax or someone going farther down the line. Just too many details for everyone to work out so it seems like the policy is reasonable at this point.

Although I would love to bring my lap dog on the train with me on those short hauls like PVD - PHL or BOS - NYP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back