Two Danes on a US 15 day pass - where should we go?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You will not be able to open carriage windows on ant Amtrak train. Riding some of the tourist trains such as the one from Williams Arizona to the grand canyon and return will have the capability to sit in open window carriages.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I do think it might be interesting to train it one way across America and fly over it on the return trip.

Hmmm....NE Corridor to D.C. for a couple days of historical/government sites, cultural, and the Smithsonian museums. Cardinal to Chicago. Two to three days there. (Unless you want to stop somewhere along the way like Cincinnati or Indianapolis, perhaps.) CZ across the plains, over the Rockies, through the canyons and desert, and over Donner pass direct to San Fran. Or SW Chief (possibly preceded by a day in St. Louis and ride to Kansas City, where you get some good bar-b-que) to experience the Raton and Glorietta passes while you still can. Three or four days in L.A. with at least a short jaunt down to San Diego where you'll see the navy's Pacific fleet, and take in Balboa Park, perhaps the zoo. Then the Coast Starlight direct to your final destination of S.F. to spend the time with friends before flying home.

I could see another entire itinerary based upon rolling down the Mississippi to experience Memphis, Nashville (bus sidetrip) and New Orleans.

Last edited by a moderator:
From a scenery standpoint the best direction to travel the California Zephur Chicago to SanFrancisco is westbound, the coast starlight LA to Seattle is Northbound, the Empire Builder Seattle to Chicago is eastbound, especially with the new schedule departing Seattle in the afternoon. The Southwest Chief works well either direction. It will give you the best feel of being in the old American west. However the California Zephur passes through similar territory west of Grand Junction and aproaching Reno. I agree you shouldn't make your trip a marithon, especially if travelling in coach. The seats have generous legroom, but do not lie flat. So schedule a stop or two while crossing the country. LWB

We will consider this again and again with your information and return with a conclusion and travel report.

For inspiration: The train from Istanbul to Teheran is extremely slow and cheap and romantic!

IMG_6360.JPG

There was a direct route from Istanbul to Teheran, but you're shifting trains after a ferry boat ride on the Van lake. I just got an update and it seems like trains are only running from Ankara now. They closed the old beautiful train station in Istanbul.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I visited this one once a long time ago, but I forgot all about it. It is indeed the webpage for international train fans. Thanks.

Hi Jeppe,

Let me throw in another suggestion. If you are reading any of the other threads in this forum, you may have come across the one about the Pullman sleeper cars being available for ridiculously low rates.

IF your itinerary happens to offer a change to travel from New Orleans to Chicago (preferably in that direction), you may want to see if there is an opportunity for a low-rate experience in a classical American Pullman rail car. Check out www.travelpullman.com for rates and dates. They only offer trips about once a week, and perhaps by the Summer, the rates will return to "normal". Note that these are private rail cars being towed by Amtrak, but your Amtrak voucher will not cover the fare.

Just something else to ponder... Enjoy your journey!

The pullman journey looks amazing!

This is the reservation we got right now. And then we'll be flying back to NY.

Train: 49 Lake Shore Ltd.
Departure: New York (Penn Station), New York

Thursday July 3, 2014 3:40PM

Arrival: Chicago (Chicago Union Station), Illinois

Friday July 4, 2014 9:45AM

Accommodation: 2 Reserved Coach Seats

Train: 5 California Zephyr
Departure: Chicago (Chicago Union Station), Illinois

Sunday July 6, 2014 2:00PM

Arrival: Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Monday July 7, 2014 1:53PM

Train: 5 California Zephyr
Departure: Glenwood Springs, Colorado

Tuesday July 8, 2014 1:53PM

Arrival: Emeryville, California

Wednesday July 9, 2014 4:10PM

Bus: 5005 Thruway Bus
Departure: Emeryville, California

Wednesday July 9, 2014 4:25PM

Arrival: San Francisco (Ferry), California

Wednesday July 9, 2014 5:05PM

Accommodation: 2 Reserved Thruway Seats

Total Reservation Charges: $ 788.00 Ticket Delivery Charge: $ 0.00

-------------------------------------------

Total Charges: $ 788.00

What do you guys think? Is the prize reasonable and would it be okay to relax and maybe sleep for a few hours in coach seats?

Glenwood Springs is the best stop between Chicago and San Francisco, right?

I am really looking forward to this.

That's a great trip and a Good Price for a Cross Country Trip, the US is Very Big!! And Glenwood Springs makes a great pit stop between Chicago and California!

You shouldn't have any trouble Sleeping in the Coach seats since your legs are all one night broken up by the overnight in Glenwood Springs!

Remember to take your blanket and pillow, snacks etc. And if you're going to eat some meals the Diner Breakfast is the best deal!

Jeppe,

I'm late to this discussion, and have only skimmed some of the replies, but I think it is imperative that someone point this out if no one has yet. As one who has ridden European trains as well as Amtrak, please be aware that American trains are not at all like European trains! :huh: Please don't expect a similar experience.

My experience with European trains is that they routinely function like a well oiled machine. Ours often do not.

Except perhaps in the northeast corridor (New York--Washington, DC for example), American trains are not as frequent or dependable as European trains. In fact, some people consider the long distance trains more like a type of land cruise experience (but not a luxurious one) rather than pure transportation. This is not necessarily a negative, and is NOT meant to discourage you; I absolutely love traveling on Amtrak! But please be prepared for possible delays and poor on-time performance, equipment malfunctions, and varying degrees of on-board service ranging from excellent to nonexistent to obnoxious. Hopefully you will experience good service, as we usually have, but it does vary quite a lot.

The reasons for the differences between European and American trains are many, and are not necessary for discussion in this thread. Just be aware that American trains are very different from those with which you are familiar. Having a laid back, go with the flow attitude and a spirit of adventure for just enjoying the ride will be very helpful in making your experience a pleasant one. Again, I'm not trying to be negative toward our American trains, but having realistic expectations is important.

I've not ridden many of the suggested routes, but in general I agree with the posters who suggest a fairly simple itinerary, especially without access to a car. As for places to see, Washington, DC is a city with many attractions and much history, and the Pacific coastline is beautiful. The Grand Canyon is certainly worthy of a visit if you can make it fit into your itinerary. I have not seen the Rockies (except from a jet) but would like to. No matter the routes chosen, I wish you both a pleasant, memorable trip.

One final note, of which you are undoubtedly already aware. Obviously a coast to coast rail trip involves great distances. An upgrade (if that is allowed on a pass?) to a sleeper for at least part of the trip might be worth the cost, especially if layovers are short. With a sleeper, all meals in the dining car for both passengers are included in the fare, which makes the cost not quite as daunting. (Two basic fares, one accommodation charge.) OTOH, many here on the forum travel in coach for long distances and do fine with it.

If you decide against a rail pass, amsnag.net is a great resource for finding the lowest available fares.

Best to you both, and happy travels!

Need to revise my reply: Your itinerary sounds great! Just keep those expectations of our trains realistic. Enjoy!

Need to revise my reply: Your itinerary sounds great! Just keep those expectations of our trains realistic. Enjoy!
Thank you for preparing us mentally for the trip! We're pretty used to delays in Eastern Europe and the Middle East and we're pretty easy going in general. If delays happens and it has an influence on our trip, I guess the ticket will cover a later departure. My girlfriend actually asked about upgrading for a sleeper in one of the segments. Maybe from Chicago to Glenwood Springs or Glenwood Spring - SF. I'll check the prices.

A roommette on the leg between glenwood springs and emeryville would be best among all of your trip segments.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Thanks, I'll call and ask about the possibbility of a roomette from Glenwood to Emeryville. Why would it be particular good for that section in your opinion?

Thanks, I'll call and ask about the possibbility of a roomette from Glenwood to Emeryville. Why would it be particular good for that section in your opinion?
(a) it's a particularly long amount of time(b) it includes an overnight

© people tend to hog the windows during parts of it

(d) it's generally cheaper than Chicago-Glenwood

Thanks, neroden!

The trip is getting closer and a lot of people with experience from the Amtrak trains say that the people are really nice and socially open-minded.

I thought about a few things - I've read there a very few electric power outlets in the coach class - how do people get around this?

I would like to read a good book on the California Zephyr and maybe for Lake Shore Limited as well. Are there any good nonfiction on the areas the train goes through?

I like the Claudio Magris' account of the Donau river for example. But more "dry" styles of writing would be relevant as well. Maybe even specific books on the routes.

This will be great. We even found a friend of my girlfriend who's home in Chicago in the weekend we're there and she invited us for good old american barbecue on the 4th of July. US FOR THE WIN!

The coach cars have been fitted with outlets at every seat pair. I'd say you have a 1% chance of getting one of the old cars that doesn't have an outlet at every seat. In fact, I'm starting to see outlets throughout the lounge cars now as well.

Hooray for BBQ on the Fourth! That will be great fun. :)

I've not read any non-fiction books about the CZ and LSL, but I'm sure others here have. Perhaps they'll have some recommendations.

The best train book I've read is ZEPHYR, by Henry Kisor who is a member of this forum. You'll learn so much about the train, the people who serve the passengers, and the route itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back