Tipping for Service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A search of this site will turn up 22 threads dealing with tipping.
What part of the thread title did you not understand?
Being fairly literate, I found "Tipping For Service" perfectly understandable. What part of my post did you not understand?
The standard search function is a bit of a mess and often directs people to ancient threads that are no longer relevant. For instance, old threads listing tasks and activities that tipped staff no longer perform. Advanced searching does a better job but then you have to explain how to use it properly. If you don't like discussing a given topic that's fine, but why click on a thread that has broken no rules just to tell people to search for something else? It makes no sense. Every day there are threads about topics I find tedious or boring. I cannot imagine what possible benefit would come from interrupting those discussions just to say I find them uninteresting. So I simply ignore them.

That sort of thing is impossible for him.

He seems to think that we all exist for his amusement or something, and cannot refrain from chastising us when he finds the content people contribute not to his liking.

It's either that or someone has a gun to his head and forces him to read every single thread.

I'll save him the effort. :D

Wish some kind soul would post links to the other 4 or 5 recent threads dealing with gratuities. Same blather repeated every 6 months or so begins to wear thin after a while - but that's just me. Carry on if you must.
It's a shame you have someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to read this blather.

Or maybe you exercise from free will and refrain from reading content you don't find worth your time?
<Yawn!>

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless the service is really bad (and then I tip very little or nothing), I tip 20% of what a meal would cost if I was paying cash. That's what I most often pay in a non-Amtrak restaurant. Why should dining car servers get less unless they did something to warrant less?

As for sleeping car attendants, I generally tip $15/night if they did their job; $20/night if they went beyond the call...

When I used to travel coach long distance, my tip was usually $5-$7 per day. Today, when I travel coach (typically a day train) it's Business Class if available, and I tip the SA $5.

In May, I'm travelling on #1 Toronto>Vancouver in a sleeper. I'm wondering if I can tip in US dollars, or do I need to get Canadian dollars? For expenses off-train I'll be using a credit card (US dollars) to pay for things, but you can't very well put (just) a tip on a CC, can you?.

Skyline, the easiest and usually cheapest way to get Canadian dollars is at an ATM, then break it into small bills somewhere. I've found numerous employees onboard happy to provide tip-sized bills. Especially when they know why I'm asking.

Skyline: The Canadian has 2 OBS Crews for the Toronto-Vancouver run. They change out in Winnipeg so you will have 2 SCAs,Diner Crews and Park Car/Dome Attendants during your trip.

You'll be pleasantly surprised by the service and friendliness of the VIA employees and the great food in the Diner!

As Alice indicated,getting Canadian $$ is easy.Remember that the $1 "Loonie" and $2 "Toonies" are Coins and that that Pennies are no longer used in the Great White North.

you can't very well put (just) a tip on a CC, can you?
Yes & no. :)
For an SCA, no. But for the Dining Car, I've found a workaround!

In a sleeper, the meals are included on Amtrak but alcoholic beverages are not. So I order wine, and include the tip on the credit card charge! So if you use the AGR credit card, you earn 2-3 points for your tip also! :)

Back