Suggestions for carry-on meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's what I did:

Thirty minutes in Publix did the trick. I got a single-serving pack of soprasetta and provolone, a mini log of goat cheese, a small chunk of hard chesee, a box of the store-brand Triscuit crackers, an apple, and a single serving hummus with pretzel crisps. (The hummus, by the way, cost me $1.99 at the Publix, it sells in the cafe car for $4.50.) I'm traveling BC, so I get free drinks from th cafe car.

Oooooooh, hummus and cheese and crackers. Good calls, now I'm hungry!

Thanks for all the suggestions. Here's what I did:

Thirty minutes in Publix did the trick. I got a single-serving pack of soprasetta and provolone, a mini log of goat cheese, a small chunk of hard chesee, a box of the store-brand Triscuit crackers, an apple, and a single serving hummus with pretzel crisps. (The hummus, by the way, cost me $1.99 at the Publix, it sells in the cafe car for $4.50.) I'm traveling BC, so I get free drinks from th cafe car.
One problem with my free BC drinks, the only soda he had was diet Pepsi. I'll have to stick with the cranberry juice. But I'm still happy I sprung for BC. You should have seen the crowds waiting to board at Florence, Dillon and Fayetteville, I'll bet coach is packed tight, whereas I have the whole row to myself in BC. My sympathies to the folks who have to take long ride in the Amfleet I coach. I'm putting together my carry on meal when we get to Richmond, I'll report then.

There is a little sandwich shop in a corner of Staples Mill station waiting room. Decent pre made sandwiches and fresher than Amcafe and probably the 24 hr old deli stuff. Should have time if close to on time.

So, if they sell beer and wine in the cafe car, I'm assuming you can take it back to your seat in coach to drink? Does that mean I can also bring my own wine and beer on board and drink it in coach?

In the words of the great Bob Marley sihip,,, "No No NO"

Sleeper pax can carry on,,,, Coach, not so good.
So, are you saying that any beer/wine purchased in the cafe car has to be consumed in the cafe car area? Coach passengers cannot take back to their seats?

No.

Beer/wine purchased int he cafe car can be consumed anywhere on the train.

The only place private stock can be consumed is in your room in a sleeping car (so no private stock if you're in coach).

Trader Joe's has a couple of good multi paks of Trail Mix--or mixed nuts with or without fruit such as raisins or cranberries. Watch out though. One of these I found almost impossible to open without a knife or scissors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back