Suggestions for carry-on meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, ignore him. He also has "Jake from State Farm" as my contact picture in his phone. :p

Oh, so the grill thing was a joke? I'm kind of new here, just checking. :lol:

So does that mean my home rotisserie is a no-go too?

set-it-and-forget-it.jpg

I was going to Set It and Forget It at my seat outlet while I went to the SSL. Now I'm receiving mixed messages. Isn't this forum run by Amtrak? :help:

Back to the OP

Heater meals can be bought from a truckstop such as TA / Petro.

http://heatermeals.com/

I have diet issues and carry these just in case I get stuck someplace and have a need for something warm. They can be used inside, but there is a smell so you may want to warm them up outside of the seating area.

the Husker fan not pleased with losing to the Hawkeyes? At least our coach doesn't carry his cat into the spring game,,,, laugh with me,,, at least your not an ISU fan,,,,, and you escaped the B12 to get away from the cyclones,,,

the Husker fan not pleased with losing to the Hawkeyes? At least our coach doesn't carry his cat into the spring game,,,, laugh with me,,, at least your not an ISU fan,,,,, and you escaped the B12 to get away from the cyclones,,,
At least we made it into the NCAA tournament :lol:

But really, it's not just the hawkeyes. It's Iowegians in any iteration.

But I digress. I'm thinking of bringing food on my trip this June, but not sure I want to deal with lugging a cooler, even a soft-sided one.

Oh, look who just cleared 4,000!

Now I want some chicken. *That's* a carry on meal if I've ever seen one.
I know. My 4000th post was, "I do not look like a dude." :p

I noticed the lemon chicken as soon as I posted that. :D

Peannut or cashew butter sandwiches
Be a courteous passenger and ask your neighbors if they have a peanut allergy before you begin.
I love peanut butter sandwiches. I do not understand how someone with a peanut allergy could have a problem; does this mean that being near a peanut can cause a reaction? I'm asking because I really don't know.

I am highly allergic to peanuts so I can answer this. The part of the peanut that people are allergic to is in the protein. There is no protein in the aroma from peanuts. If you are near a place where there is a lot of peanut dust, a person with an allergy could have a reaction but keep in mind generally it needs to be in a high enough concentration. The smell of peanuts will not cause a reaction. However, because people with this kind of allergy are highly allergic, we are very sensitive to the smell. It won't get us sick but it starts throwing out a warning to our brain that senses danger. I would compare it to walking close to an edge and being afraid of falling. Some people are uncomfortable with smelling peanuts and make themselves sick from the smell but no alergic reaction is taking place. The other issue is if someone that eats peanuts does not clean their hands, the protein could spread to an allergic person. This is somewhat rare but it could happen especially with kids. There is a push from many uneducated people and over protective parents to have peanut free schools (and other places). I think this is over the top and not needed.

I am probably not the healthiest eater but my choices for train food are easy cheese and crackers or combos. They usually hold up well.
I've been buying sunflower butter at Trader Joe's for the kids' lunches (personal choice, not allergy-related) and they seem to really enjoy it. Small jar costs about $2.50 I think (will go today to stock up and check prices). Should be good for probably 2-3 sandwiches, I think.
My bad, the sunflower butter at TJ's is $4.99. Definitely more expensive than peanut butter, but a good alternative if you are allergic.

I just got a free insulated cooler tote at this education conference I'm at; must be the universe telling me to pack snacks!

Guys, ignore him. He also has "Jake from State Farm" as my contact picture in his phone. :p
So the Jake from State Farm in the commercials is a fake...Jake is really Sarah! :giggle:
Actually, Jake from State Farm is a real dude. He actually does work at the State Farm headquarters. (My parents live in the same town as State Farm headquarters; my mom sent me the newspaper story about it. My mom is always sending me odd newspaper stories...)

^^ True story. All of the agents and employees in the commercials are actual State Farm agents and employees.

Oh, so the grill thing was a joke? I'm kind of new here, just checking. :lol:

So does that mean my home rotisserie is a no-go too?

set-it-and-forget-it.jpg

I was going to Set It and Forget It at my seat outlet while I went to the SSL. Now I'm receiving mixed messages. Isn't this forum run by Amtrak? :help:
They don't work that well anyways.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back