Sleeping Car: What should I expect?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one, am not looking forward to the new Roomette. I don’t want to have to stumble down the hall to bathroom in the middle of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Thank you! I thought I was the only person in the world who wanted to keep that toilet.

I guess it depends on who might be traveling with you. If privacy is a concern, you can use a public bathroom. In any event, you have a sink in the room which I find convenient also.

Traveling by myself, having the toilet in the room was fine. It is when I have a female travel partner, especially grandchildren, the toilet in the room just didn't work well at all.
During the day, the other occupant would simply take the opportunity to go for a walk. Late at night, my grandkid would be sound asleep so I didn't have a problem using the toilet.

I guess my biggest concern is that I have seen the what the "public" toilets in a Silver's coach look like after 24 hours. With my own toilet in my roomette, I am in complete control over how clean ((or not clean) it stays over the course of a trip.

When the VL2s arrive, they will have their own bathrooms for the use of the sleeper roomettes. 2 bathrooms for 12 roomettes (incl attendant) should not be a problem. Haven't really had a problem on SL sleepers.

I guess it depends on who might be traveling with you. If privacy is a concern, you can use a public bathroom. In any event, you have a sink in the room which I find convenient also.

The sink will stay in the V-II roomettes (and thank god for that).

When the VL2s arrive, they will have their own bathrooms for the use of the sleeper roomettes. 2 bathrooms for 12 roomettes (incl attendant) should not be a problem. Haven't really had a problem on SL sleepers.
I just had the Family Bedroom on #422 from Pomona to Chicago. 61 hours and the bathrooms were completely fine at the end.

That has been my experience also. Of course, on the SL sleeper has a bunch of bathrooms downstairs near the family b/r and small group of roomettes. The one upstairs gets a heavier workout lots of folks don't want to use the stairs. But even that one the SCA seems to keep decent.

The problem with the VL I's is there is not "public" bathroom in the car. This is unlike the Heritage sleepers, which had toilets in the (real) roomettes, but also had a public bathroom.

I also want to state that the vast majority of my travels have been in Superliners rather than Viewliners, and I have very seldom had an issue with the condition of the bathrooms in Superliner sleepers. So unless for some reason attendents are much worse, or passengers are more piggish in the east than the west, I don't see a problem with using the common restroom model used on Superliners.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess my biggest concern is that I have seen the what the "public" toilets in a Silver's coach look like after 24 hours. With my own toilet in my roomette, I am in complete control over how clean ((or not clean) it stays over the course of a trip.
However you'll be in a car with far less passengers in it, is restricted to the type of passenger in the car, and is a slightly higher "class" of passenger. So while they still could get bad, the chances are far less.

peter

Question (I guess I’ll post it here since it is sleeper related). Is there a separate attendant for the transition dorm sleeper and the regular sleeper - or does one attendant pull double duty?

I think I was the only paying passenger in the dorm last night - but I only saw the attendant when I got on. No big deal - I got on fine by myself. Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

Question (I guess I’ll post it here since it is sleeper related). Is there a separate attendant for the transition dorm sleeper and the regular sleeper - or does one attendant pull double duty?

I think I was the only paying passenger in the dorm last night - but I only saw the attendant when I got on. No big deal - I got on fine by myself. Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum
The attendant from the next car, whether it's a sleeper or a coach, is responsible for the Transdorm also.

Back