Sleeping Car: What should I expect?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that there will almost certainly be sufficient space in the booths for you. It might not be the most comfortable thing ever, but I highly doubt you'll be crushed against the table.

Well, we’ll see. I haven’t gained nor lost weight since I rode the Pennsylvanian in June of last year. I was a little snug on the cafe booth then, so we see about this time around.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Here’s another question. I have a bad back; I’m going out for back surgery later in March. It can be painful when I walk. Is there

a way I can get preboard the Pennsylvanian for the trip to Elizabethtown? I will be in Club Acela, but I understand the Pennsylvanian is unreserved seating between PHL and ELT. I won’t have any baggage save for a

duffel bag and a computer case.

PVD is right and beat me to it.

Philly has wonderful redcaps.

You will be fine--you are going on a wonderful train (the Meteor) and arriving at a wonderful station (Philly 30th Street). Take a minute to look at the Art Deco ceiling and windows in the main hall if you get a chance.

Several months ago, my grandparents were taking Amtrak to/from Pennsylvania, and were allowed to pre-board and get settled. It should be the same for you.

I know one thing; I’d better get lots of $1 bills when I go to the bank. I will be doing a lot of tipping!

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

I know one thing; I’d better get lots of $1 bills when I go to the bank. I will be doing a lot of tipping!

This is how I generally tip:- Tip the SCA $5 per person per night.

- I tip the diner staff as I would in a restaurant (15-20% of menu prices)

- If you have the SCA bring food to your room, tip he/she as you would the diner staff (since the SCA is basically your waiter)

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the tipping advice above, when getting good service. For excellent service, I add some extra. For the excellent service I also send Amtrak a praising letter for that individual. Now for the MIA SCA, the tip is zero and I absolutely documented my experience to Amtrak.

This is how I generally tip:

- Tip the SCA $5 per person per night.

- If you have the SCA bring food to your room, tip he/she as you would the diner staff (since the SCA is basically your waiter)
I tip the SCA, which for me is typically a two-day, one night, trip, either $0, $10, or $20, pending on the level of service. As mentioned above, an MIA gets them $0. Regular service gets a $10. If they do something particularly special for me, or my kid, they get $20.

I agree with diner waitstaff getting regular restaurant tipping based on (not paid) menu prices.

Well, we’ll see. I haven’t gained nor lost weight since I rode the Pennsylvanian in June of last year. I was a little snug on the cafe booth then, so we see about this time around.

Amtrak also has new dining cars, so it's anybody's guess at this point.

peter

Amtrak also has new dining cars, so it's anybody's guess at this point.

peter
I've been in two Viewliner II diners so far. Booth space is very comparable to a Heritage diner, and a bit more spacious than in an AmCafe (as on the Pennsylvanian).

This is how I generally tip:

- Tip the SCA $5 per person per night.

I tip the SCA, which for me is typically a two-day, one night, trip, either $0, $10, or $20, pending on the level of service. As mentioned above, an MIA gets them $0. Regular service gets a $10. If they do something particularly special for me, or my kid, they get $20.

I agree with diner waitstaff getting regular restaurant tipping based on (not paid) menu prices.
This what I also do. In the Lounge Car or SSL, I usually tip a $1 for service provided. If the service has been exceptional from a staff member in that position, on my last purchase from the individual, I might provide a small bonus to my usual gratuity.

To clarify, my $5 per person per night method is basically for the bare minimum. So like if the SCA puts down the bed and nothing else, I would tip that much. If they get me extra blankets, bring food to my room, help with bags, etc. I tip extra.

To clarify, my $5 per person per night method is basically for the bare minimum. So like if the SCA puts down the bed and nothing else, I would tip that much. If they get me extra blankets, bring food to my room, help with bags, etc. I tip extra.

I'm with ya. My deciding factor is ICE!!!

I think I’m going to be pleasantly surprised. From all the nice posts and advice on the Meteor, I think I’ll be in for a real treat!

Any chance I’ll be riding in the new Viewliner 2 sleepers? I’ve read that they’re coming along soon if not already. I think the difference between the ones and twos is they eliminate the toilets from the Roomettes.

Any chance I’ll be riding in the new Viewliner 2 sleepers? I’ve read that they’re coming along soon if not already. I think the difference between the ones and twos is they eliminate the toilets from the Roomettes.

The Viewliner II sleepers are estimated early 2019. They still have 10 diners left to deliver. Then, after a production gap, they will begin the Bag-Dorms (there are 10 of those). Then, after another production gap, they'll start on the sleepers. So you'd be lucky to get a V-II sleeper a year from now.

In regard to differences between the V-IIs and V-Is: There will be one (maybe two?) fewer roomettes to fit the shared bathrooms. The interiors will be updated, with new lighting, panelling, heating, etc. Plenty of minor improvements. But when it comes down to actual differences in amenities, the only change would be the lack of toilets in the roomettes.

With 20 V II cars before the first V II Sleeper, using the current production rate plus releasing maybe just one of each new type car for acceptance, that pushes the date for monthly releases of the Sleepers deep into 2019 or early 2020. I hope I am very wrong and it is much earlier, not much later.

With 20 V II cars before the first V II Sleeper, using the current production rate plus releasing maybe just one of each new type car for acceptance, that pushes the date for monthly releases of the Sleepers deep into 2019 or early 2020. I hope I am very wrong and it is much earlier, not much later.
Thinking about it now, maybe mid 2019. Putting aside production gaps, 20 cars should mean 10 months. For the past several months, CAF has been maintaining their two cars per month goal, so I think there's a pretty good chance it takes that long. Add in two 2 month production gaps and we start getting sleepers April-May 2019. I'm by no means saying that that's certain, but I think it's a pretty good estimate.

I for one, am not looking forward to the new Roomette. I don’t want to have to stumble down the hall to bathroom in the middle of the night.

Back