Sleeper room etiquette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple points:

Hand towels and washcloths are wonderful things. In addition to their traditional uses, they can be stuffed into the crack between the sliding door and the wall opening, to stop vibrating doors. Also, they are great things to stuff into the vent openings to keep the cold air from blowing hard on you. If you need extras, just ask the SCA.

Coach passengers don't belong in the sleepers. If the sleeper passenger boarded in the middle of the night, it is possible that the passenger boarded during the SCA's rest period, and another employee might have welcomed the passenger aboard. Otherwise, the car attendant should have been present when the passenger boarded, so the SCA should know his/her passengers. If a coach passenger is seen entering a sleeper room, the attendant should intervene and send the coach passenger back to the coach. If the passenger resists, the Conductor can be brought into the situation for a resolution. There are occasionally special circumstances where exceptions may be made, but the policy is as I have explained it.

What a person does within their room is entirely their business unless it is disturbing to other passengers (noise, odors, etc.). The corridors and all other parts of the train are considered public places, and normal social standards of clothing, appearance, etc. will apply. If the passenger stays in his room but keeps the door open, he has turned his room into a public place by making it open to the corridor. Nudity or near nudity in public is not acceptable, and should be brought to the attention of the Conductor if a less drastic approach doesn't work.

Tom

I live in Coney Island in Brooklyn, NY. Every summer on the summer solstice, they have The Mermaid Parade. It is a Art parade, if you know what I am talking about. I wanted to share photos of the parade with my friends online, stressing its a art parade. Some people may find the photos objectionable. One person who viewed them, who was in law enforcement elsewhere in the country said if this was in his town, everyone would have been arrested. The women had to wear at least pasties, couldn't be totally bare up there.

Another case in point. A woman went over to a police officer complaining that there was a woman on the beach who was a bit under dressed, even for the beach. Lets say if she was a mermaid, she wasn't wearing any clam shells. The police officer said there is nothing he can do, she is not breaking the law.

With those two facts, if a woman said she is legally allowed (in some states?) to be topless, can the conductor say something, or would it be like serving liquor, it depends what state you are going through at the time?

Bruce-SSR

P.S. How did you like my tap dancing with what I am saying? :)

Nudity or near nudity in public is not acceptable, and should be brought to the attention of the Conductor if a less drastic approach doesn't work.

Tom
Except for "Moon Amtrak Day" in Orange County, Ca. Reportedly, some passengers return the favor as the trains slow down for the "show". :giggle:

Only in California!

With those two facts, if a woman said she is legally allowed (in some states?) to be topless, can the conductor say something,
In New York, women are allowed to go topless whereever men are allowed to go topless. Equal rights, you know.

However, you may have noticed that most restaurants post "shirts and shoes required" signs? That's right. Men AND women are required to wear tops in certain public establishments. I believe Amtrak follows the same policy.

If they strip their shirts off once they leave the station, it's nobody's business but their own.

Last edited by a moderator:
The main issue I've run into with regard to sleeper etiquette has to do with children who aren't taught how to be behave at home and thus have no frame of reference when it comes to how to act in public. They shout and scream and run around like the train is their own personal rumpus room. Some will open your door or mess with your belongings if you're not there to stop them. That sort of thing bothers me greatly and instantly puts me at odds with their parents. Other than that I think the main point to get across is just how incredibly thin Amtrak walls are. Much thinner than any hotel I've ever stayed at (talking hundreds of hotels here). I'd say that shockingly thin would be an appropriate description.

I realize that not everyone who makes noise is intentionally doing so. If someone is brand new to Amtrak sleepers or they are hard of hearing they probably don't realize how much of their noise is reaching the rest of the rooms. In the future I would hope that Amtrak considers redesigning the next round of sleepers so that at least some noise can be blocked and you can lock your door when you're away. On the current hardware it doesn't appear that Amtrak considered interior noise or security to be much of an issue. Wouldn't hurt to redesign the messy sink spigots either as mentioned above.

If I had acted the way kids act these days with things like you are describing, DA, I woulda been slapped upside the head.

Mooning? Many years ago, the land just SE of the Auto Train terminal in Lorton was undeveloped. Now it's mostly taken up with a shopping center. In the early 1990's, some of the local teenagers would climb to the top of a hill on the vacant land and line up to give us the old vertical smile as the train departed southbound. I guess it was a farewell salute.

Tom

I've been mooned on the CZ a few times from folks along the river. Not the kid of etiquette I am looking for.

With those two facts, if a woman said she is legally allowed (in some states?) to be topless, can the conductor say something,
In New York, women are allowed to go topless whereever men are allowed to go topless. Equal rights, you know.

However, you may have noticed that most restaurants post "shirts and shoes required" signs? That's right. Men AND women are required to wear tops in certain public establishments. I believe Amtrak follows the same policy.

If they strip their shirts off once they leave the station, it's nobody's business but their own.
A drinking establishment I used to frequent had a sign stating:

"Shirt and shoes required

Bras and panties optional"

I've been mooned on the CZ a few times from folks along the river. Not the kid of etiquette I am looking for.
We are frequently recipients of the vertical smiles of some of those homeless folks under a bridge on the north end of Austin while southbound on the TE. Not so on the northbound leg, though....

We are frequently recipients of the vertical smiles of some of those homeless folks under a bridge on the north end of Austin while southbound on the TE. Not so on the northbound leg, though....
Oops, duplicate post while pulling my pants up! LOL

Its not me, I wasn't in town that day! LOL

I am on the CZ right now. This is my third trip on the CZ, and by far there was considerably more moon sightings and flashing than on my previous 2 trips. I think some of my group attempted flash photos.

I was on the SWC in May. We passed what was obviously a "swimming hole" where a young lady was totally naked, jumping up and down, and blowing kisses at the train. :)

If I acted the way some of the kids act today

I wouldn't be alive

and my mother had the intelligence

to prove it was justifiable homicide

With apologies to Will Rogers, Common courtesy ain't all that common anymore.
As I found out Friday night while at work when some jackass ran into my car, tore the driver's side mirror off, and left no note. :angry: The amount I have to pay for a replacement would have paid for a round trip to and from Seattle or Glacier Park.

Jay Pea

That's a bummer said the drummer

When I was a kid a hit and run driver gave me six weeks in the hospital,,,,,

Having just returned from two nights in a roomette this topic is very fresh on my mind. It is amazing how dirty some people will leave a bathroom, luckily there are many to choose from.

This trip the major annoyance was the children running up and down the hallway. We dined with several different people and this was brought up by them during our meals each time. Several times the crew had to get on the PA and say "no running, no running, no running" as the kids ran in the opposite direction not paying attention. The parents seemed to not care and stuck the kids in their own roomette.

Its not me, I wasn't in town that day! LOL
Jim:

You weren't in town that day? Do we take that to mean you were busy mooning some other train?

Tom

Guess you better be careful about getting laid in a sleeper, unless you want to be the talk of the train.

Guess you better be careful about getting laid in a sleeper, unless you want to be the talk of the train.
"It's the train that does it. The Super Chief is definitely an aphrodisiac. Even to me, old and beat-up as I am. I get that feeling in my blood the minute I step on this train. All the hidden mysteries of the orient can't compete with high-pitched laughter locked behind a strange compartment door." -- "The Hucksters," Frederic Wakeman, 1946.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back