Silver Star vs. Silver Meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the lounge car,there is a table with an open space with no seat meant for wheelchair use. I don't know if there is something temporary to put there if you don't use a wheelchair. The crew probably can't put a non fixed seat in for safety reasons, but if you brought one, I don't know?

I don't think they'll allow you to bring a folding chair for that purpose. I'm just going to lose the weight so I can fit in the booths comfortably.
A folding chair would likely be refused any number of places, but a rollator is considered a mobility device, and would be permitted onboard and elsewhere. They're not terribly expensive.

Although folks riding between Tampa and the NEC have no alternative to the Star, it also functions as a NEC-North Carolina and intra-Florida train. Few of those passengers used the diner anyway. I've been in the diner on the SB Star passing through Rocky Mount -- prime dinner hour -- and my son and I were the only people in the diner. Happened twice. Whatever the merits of the experiment are, it was no surprise to me that the Star was chosen for the experiment.

On a single-night train I don't consider a diner to be essential. Would not surprise me if in 10-15 years all diners are gone east of the Mississippi except for Auto Train.
Sure glad that wasn't the case 60 years ago. How would Cary Grant have met Eva Marie Saint? Over pretzels and beer in the couch-lounge car?

Although folks riding between Tampa and the NEC have no alternative to the Star, it also functions as a NEC-North Carolina and intra-Florida train. Few of those passengers used the diner anyway. I've been in the diner on the SB Star passing through Rocky Mount -- prime dinner hour -- and my son and I were the only people in the diner. Happened twice. Whatever the merits of the experiment are, it was no surprise to me that the Star was chosen for the experiment. On a single-night train I don't consider a diner to be essential. Would not surprise me if in 10-15 years all diners are gone east of the Mississippi except for Auto Train.
Sure glad that wasn't the case 60 years ago. How would Cary Grant have met Eva Marie Saint?
Today they would meet in torn jeans and tee shirts on a vinyl bench over a fiberglass table.

Yes, it is a "wheelchair space", but one disability or physical limitation does not rate special treatment over another, and the OP has a valid reason to need that space. I don't, it would be improper for me to try and use that space, and never would, but its like the H room, if it isn't booked, they get to sell it, it is meant to accommodate, but they (mobility limited) don't "own" it.
True, those open spaces which are there to specifically accommodate a wheelchair, aren't owned by "those" people. However, IMHO, it is simply being considerate or courteous to leave it open and available for if a wheelchair does come along. I think you're just trying to deflect being held accountable, by saying that if a wheelchair person might need that space, it is their responsibility to have booked it a head of time (and I have no idea how to even do that).

No, what I'm saying is a space at a table meant to help one group of people with a physical limitation should be available to help any person who has a physical limitation that may be helped by using that space, not one specific category. If you read carefully, I said it doesn't apply to me, and I would never use that space, so it is not an accountability issue for me. The person I was supporting was the original poster who indicated his size presents a limitation, and I don't see why he should be denied accommodation to hold space for someone else. What makes one disability "better than another? The booking ahead I was referring to was the H room, and it is held to be booked for people who need it, but is released shortly before the travel date and sold to anyone if it has not been reserved. It is available to anyone, but preference is to those who need it. No reason for it to be left empty.

If you are handicap then book the handicap room. The bathroom is HUGH. If you qualify and have handicap plates on your car or a state issued handicap ID then Amtrak will sell you a handicap room at a reduced roomette price. NOTE: There is only one handicap room per sleeper car. If you are flexible with your travel dates getting the room will not be a problem.

One of my "Beyond the scale goals" is to fit comfortably into the booths on the lounge and diner cars. So, we shall see...

I don't intend on booking a handicap bedroom; I don't think it is necessary for an overnight trip. Also, I don't have handicap plates or placards, so it would seem improper to book the handicap room anyway.

Back