Silver Star vs. Silver Meteor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All Amtrak diners have booths, I think the FRA banned unsecured chairs. The booths vary in size somewhat. The booths in the PPC are tighter than the Superliner diner booths, for example.
So the current fast food dining room layout is (indirectly) mandated for future dining car designs? Seems like the FRA could have mandated half the car be setup for the nanny state folks and left the other half for folks who were willing to risk a bit of harm for something a little classier than a 1970's vinyl fiberglass throwback.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am all for letting people enjoy a bit of extra risk provided they sign a release saying that they will not sue and try to milk the taxpayer and service provider for all they are worth, should harm befall them as a result of their choice. Otherwise I am happy to live with the FRA imposed restrictions at least on publicly funded transport.

All Amtrak diners have booths, I think the FRA banned unsecured chairs. The booths vary in size somewhat. The booths in the PPC are tighter than the Superliner diner booths, for example.
So the current fast food dining room layout is (indirectly) mandated for future dining car designs? Seems like the FRA could have mandated half the car be setup for the nanny state folks and left the other half for folks who were willing to risk a bit of harm for something a little classier than a 1970's vinyl fiberglass throwback.
I'm not sure how individual chairs are necessarily any classier than booths - more a function of decor and style - but regardless the laws of physics do not obey FRA mandates. Your chair could come flying across the car and hit my booth.

Granted, my Michelin Man abs (spare tire) fit better in a chair than a booth, but I digress again.

I saw pictures of the Roomette online. I'm not sure if I'll be able to use the in-room toilet. I am a large person. Does the Viewliner have a handicapped bathroom and shower available? I might be more comfortable walking down the hall to use the facilities.
I consider myself a normal sized gentleman and I found using this facility to be a challenge, particularly with the bed in place. It was almost impossible to sit "normally".

I fully understand your concern.

Would I be better off in a Bedroom?
I have not had a Bedroom in a Viewliner Sleeper. I have had a couple in the Superliner Sleepers. Plenty of room for whatever sized person one might be. The only negative to those bathrooms is that if one uses the shower, the interior is totally soaked. The SCA does "fix" that, however.

Hopefully, someone on this Forum will be able to better answer your question about the bathroom in the Viewliner Bedrooms than I can.

Perhaps?

The positioning in a roomette is awkward, but you have the whole rooms worth of space to make a go at things.

In a bedroom, the toilet itself is (probably?) a bit larger, but it is in a pretty small enclosure that doubles as the shower.

Depending on size, it is not inconceivable to me that a bedroom toilet would be completely unworkable, whereas a roomette toilet would be difficult but not flat out impossible.

Would I be better off in a Bedroom?
I have been in both Viewliner and Superliner bedrooms. There is more room between the chair and the bathroom door in the Superliner. With the chair in place, it is difficult for a "normal" sized person to squeeze into the bathroom. Last month I was in a Viewliner bedroom and I managed to barely squeeze into the restroom without folding the chair. I am pretty small. Since I am small, I do not have any problems with the size of the restroom or shower in either the Viewliner or Superliner. I want to say the enclosed restrooms are pretty much the same size in Viewliner and Superliner, however, the Superliner restroom may be a bit larger.

I would recommend the H room (if you qualify or if is available within 2 weeks of travel).

I'm not sure how individual chairs are necessarily any classier than booths - more a function of decor and style - but regardless the laws of physics do not obey FRA mandates. Your chair could come flying across the car and hit my booth.
And they haven't yet invented a sliding chair on tracks that can move back and forth? Hmph.

And they haven't yet invented a sliding chair on tracks that can move back and forth? Hmph.
That might have merit. You could place seat tracks between two tables. Mount the chairs on seat track and move seat back for ingress and egress and then slide chair up to table. When seat is back then other table's seat would not go all way back. One problem is possible time of egress in case of an accident ?

The gigantic bottom-heavy armchairs they used to have in the older Pullman trains were really hard to knock over even in a high speed collision. The old dining car chairs... not so much.

But I don't think chairs are necessarily any "classier" than booths. Amtrak could, if it wanted to, make the booths look much fancier:

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/tables/dining-room-sets/art-deco-pullman-style-diner-booth/id-f_154145/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-Wood-Restaurant-Booth-Single-5600S-48-36-Factory-Direct-/322400943284

I believe most of the choices Amtrak has made with the booth seating are for ease of cleaning. If the entire thing was decorative wood inlays and complex woven moquettes, I'm sure we'd all think the booths were very classy.

Personally I much prefer booths over chairs. And no need to make them fancy. Cleaner the lines the better.

But I understand the OP's concerns. :)

On the present Viewliners, if you can't use the toilet in your room, the closest "public" toilet would be in the first coach car (or possibly the business car). On the future Viewliners, there will be an available toilet on every sleeper as there are no toilets in roomettes.

One thing in play is certain. I am a candidate for bariatric surgery; this may happen later this year once I get the go-ahead from the hospital. I will need most likely 3 months to recuperate before I could travel again. Also, I would no longer be able to eat a complete meal, just a few bites if at that. I may consider the Star, because all I would need is beverages and may small finger foods. Unless the dining car can make accommodations...

Earlier this month, I have decided that I am not going to pursue bariatric surgery due to the high costs, possible complications, and lifelong lifestyle commitments. I am now on a special diet and am losing weight.

Here is a great goal I have come up with. Being able to sit comfortably in the booths in the lounge and diner car for if I take the Silver Meteor this fall. Right now, it cannot be done because of "lack of tummy room." I am going to ride the Pennsylvanian in May, and it has a lounge car. I could take a tape measure, and measure how far the edge of the table is to the seat back. Then, at home, I can test by having a table and chair set at those measurements. I think I can do this.

I am going to ride the Pennsylvanian in May, and it has a lounge car. I could take a tape measure, and measure how far the edge of the table is to the seat back. Then, at home, I can test by having a table and chair set at those measurements. I think I can do this.
Someone around here will surely be on a train with lounge even sooner, and could get us this measurement, because I could use it as well. I always ask for a table in restaurants, because booths aren't designed for those of who are....uh..."nutritionally challenged".

Good Luck with your weight loss and goals.

In the lounge car,there is a table with an open space with no seat meant for wheelchair use. I don't know if there is something temporary to put there if you don't use a wheelchair. The crew probably can't put a non fixed seat in for safety reasons, but if you brought one, I don't know?

I don't think they'll allow you to bring a folding chair for that purpose. I'm just going to lose the weight so I can fit in the booths comfortably.

In the lounge car,there is a table with an open space with no seat meant for wheelchair use. I don't know if there is something temporary to put there if you don't use a wheelchair. The crew probably can't put a non fixed seat in for safety reasons, but if you brought one, I don't know?
I think of the open table spot as being politely reserved for a wheelchair person. If you want to be able to add a chair to that spot for yourself, I would think you better be able to remove a chair from any/all other spots.

Yes, it is a "wheelchair space", but one disability or physical limitation does not rate special treatment over another, and the OP has a valid reason to need that space. I don't, it would be improper for me to try and use that space, and never would, but its like the H room, if it isn't booked, they get to sell it, it is meant to accommodate, but they (mobility limited) don't "own" it.

Back