Several dining questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading around various sites, it seems that 20% is becoming the norm when it comes to restaurants.

True?
That's what I hear. I also have gotten restaurant tabs that list the tip amount for your bill for 15%, 18% and 20%.

Just to add our 2 cents (or $2 bills) :) to the conversations. We usually get as many two dollar bills that the bank has available and plenty of ones and fives to cover tips on the train. Our standard is usually $3-4 for breakfast, $4-5 for lunch and $5-6 for supper if service is good and server is friendly. There have only been a few times when we have not left something....slow service, attitude problem of the server;;wrong order.. etc.

Many times our meal companions do not leave tips.. a couple of instances where they did not realize tipping was appropriate and were educated by our actions. As we contend, "you can't take it with you", so spread the wealth around and do something nice for someone who is working hard to make it in life. :p

She Who Must Be Obeyed and I take one big trip once a year. As soon as we get home from the last one I start an envelope putting $20 a week away, trying to making a good number of the content ones and fives. When it is time to leave I have the cash in hand to not only tip, but pay for the other meals (train, lodging and renter always paid for ahead of time. $200 in ones takes up about four envelopes,,,,,,

As for the red caps (life savers in my opinion) it's $5 / head. They are worth every penny,,,,,,

IMHO, on the 15% vs 20% "which is the norm", like every other aspect of tipping, it's up to you.

I usually have the mind-set that 15% is the "base level", that is, if the server does an average or adequate job, is timely, and basically cordial and such, they will get 15%. If, OTOH, the server is outgoing, very friendly, helpful, attentive, refills quickly, anticipates requests or remembers preferences, then I'll go north of 15%.

When do I go south of 15%? When the service (not nec the food) just plain sucks. It's a judgement call though, for if have the chance of seeing that server again on a multi-day trip, it could come back to haunt you. IDC if the server is having a "Bad hair day" or they are tired, or they just broke up with their significant other, that's not MY concern. Service is Service. Everyone KNOWS how to provide good service, not everyone decides to actually do it.

I too have carried Two Dollar Bills for years when traveling, (not just Amtrak). At times I've had people ask if they could "buy" some Two Dollar Bills from me, as one does not normally see them in circulation that often.

Used to pay my kids allowance in Two Dollar Bills too.

I have a hard time withe the % of check rule sometimes. I'm going to digress a little bit here.

I went to Lakeland this last weekend. Yes, I drove from Savannah for $75 rather than subject my family to draining the coffers by over $500 for a round trip coach ticket on Amtrak.

On the return, I got to use some of my savings by stopping through at Walt Disney World's Downtown Disney (currently under MAJOR renovation). We had lunch at Planet Hollywood. Wife and I shared an appetizer and son #1 got a burger and son #2 got a pizza. Total cost was $67. A $10 tip was added to the end of that.

Planet Hollywood is almost always packed, yet in the past 20 years, they've managed to go bankrupt twice. $18 for a hamburger is ridiculous. $30 for an appetizer is CRAZY. $10 for a kids pizza is revolting.

For all the foreign guests not accustomed to tipping, a gratuity card is included in the check-booklet. The "suggested" tips start are in ticket total increments of $25 and goes on for three columns!

I just gave a girl an hours' wage for the exact same service and food quality that I pay half for at Denny's.

I say all that to say this: There are folks dumb enough to pay stupid prices for meals. Why not on Amtrak?

Last edited by a moderator:
Several of you have mentioned dollar amounts like $1-$2 for breakfast, $3-$4 for lunch, and $5 for dinner. But I assume that is per person, right? Or are you saying that's what you would give as a family?

Several of you have mentioned dollar amounts like $1-$2 for breakfast, $3-$4 for lunch, and $5 for dinner. But I assume that is per person, right? Or are you saying that's what you would give as a family?
That would be per person. Many of us travel alone so we speak in single person language :)

I didn't mean that we are lonely when we travel.

I have mixed feelings about traveling alone. I like not having to incorporate someone else's likes/time/etc into my plans but then I sometimes don't bother doing things because I don't have someone to share the experience with.

Or is your sad face because you don't like traveling alone. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. TPS is so empty with nobody else in the whole car! :D
That's because you won't share!! And because you lost the TPS. Did you find it yet or is it still covered with snow? :p
When I traveled MYS to PVD earlier in the spring, I looked for the TPS but didn't see it. Does it have a cloaking device to hide it from those of us mortals who were traveling in coach?

That's because you won't share!! And because you lost the TPS. Did you find it yet or is it still covered with snow? :p
When I traveled MYS to PVD earlier in the spring, I looked for the TPS but didn't see it. Does it have a cloaking device to hide it from those of us mortals who were traveling in coach?
You didn't see it under that pile of ice? :huh:

You didn't see it under that pile of ice? :huh:
Aha. That explains it. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back