Several dining questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know what the salary is for the various OBS positions? Are the various positions which include the possibility of tips (SCA, dining car server) paid about the same as those which generally don't (coach attendant, cook)?
http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/4493-amtrak-coach-attendants-salary/

http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Amtrak-Train-Attendant-Salaries-E2912_D_KO7,22.htm
Thank you, KmH, that's very helpful.

It's hard to translate an hourly wage into a yearly salary for a non-9-to-5 job, especially when benefits are involved.

But the takeaway that I get from the above is that compensation for OBS (exclusive of tips) is somewhere in the range that would support a decent, middle-class lifestyle.

As for the question about whether dining car staff do anything to "sabotage" food or slow down the service to non-tippers (possibly posed by the same unnamed guest), I'd rather just let you keep on wondering about that. Why spoil the fun by answering?
Another former OBS poster, rrdude, has confirmed dining car staff do indeed "sabotage" food service to non-tippers in his post at the top of page three.

If I'm an your waiter, and I give you good or excellent service, and you "stiff" me, or worse yet, drop a couple of pennies on the table, I am EAGERLY waiting for you to return. And I hope you are hungry, because it's gonna take an HOUR for your omelette, French Toast, or WHATEVER it is you ordered. (unless I need the table, then I'm gonna make sure you are out wicked fast)
So there's no 'wondering' about it at all. Your former OBS comrade already spoiled that fun.

Tipping is optional? In the USA? For table service by a waiter or waitress at meal times?

To think that is so idiosyncratic, it's like saying we live in a society with no conventions and no expectations.

My advice--leave 1, or 2, or 3 dollars to the person who has just swayed back and forth in the aisle to bring you your meal, and

if the service was really good, leave more.

I'd like to propose a toast to the only person in the room who didn't know rrdude was making a joke, and speaking only for himself:

"May your meal service always be lousy, so you don't ever have to tip & can die rich & lonely."

For your tombstone: Here lies Whatshisname.

Got filthy rich

stiffing wait staff.

Good night. Sleep well.

Tom

Remember when we asked you to make a toast?

ME NEITHER!

I tip to keep foreign objects out of my food. <---true

To turn the conversation back, once again, to the original question asked by the OP (and to leave dead horses lying), I also had questions about dining options.

First...for the meals that are included with the sleeping car arrangements, are kids required to only order off the kids' menu? In other words, would we need to pay extra if they want to order something from the "adult" menu? Would that be calculated as the price difference between a kids' meal and an adult meal, or would we have to pay full price for an adult meal?

Second...does anyone have a sample menu, or a list including prices, of things that a person can order in the Lounge Car? I'm trying to figure out how much and what to bring on board in terms of snacks. If bringing our own snacks can result in a reduction of kids' whining and begging for a $5 single serve bag of Doritos, I'll do it. But if onboard Doritos are 75 cents and it can save me packing an extra suitcase full of snacks, I'll cough up the 75 cents.

For those who have recommended bringing snacks onboard, are there specific popular foods that are either NOT available for purchase, or that can be purchased but we're better off bringing our own due to onboard markups?

Third...I read somewhere that water and juice are generally available to sleeping car passengers. I guess that means I don't need to bring fifty bottles of water, right? (with the correct assumption that our family does not require bottled water in general, unless the tap water is nasty)

Fourth...and I hate to turn the conversation back to tipping, but (and this question is for those who DO customarily choose to tip; non-tippers need not answer) I was just wondering...for tips in the dining car, would you say to just go ahead and calculate what we would be paying based on menu prices, and tip a percentage similar to what we would do in a restaurant? (someone mentioned certain dollar amounts for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but I don't know if they were just tipping for themself as a single person, or for their entire table.)

Kids can eat off the adult menu at no charge:

kids.png

(from the Blue Book)

I can't actually find a cafe menu online. Generally speaking, I'll bring my own snacks.

Water certainly.

I'm not touching the tipping discussion. :ph34r: Anything you do will be perfectly correct. :D

Generally speaking, I'll bring my own snacks.

Water certainly.

I'm not touching the tipping discussion. :ph34r: Anything you do will be perfectly correct. :D
So...not that I'm you...but what snacks do you like to bring?

Mostly stuff for the kids, goldfish, those little applesauce packets (those are actually pretty tasty), there are some other cookie/cracker type things that she likes, fruit snacks, etc.

Honestly, the included meals in the dining car are so plentiful, I don't really have much of a need for snacking.

Re-reading, I wasn't as clear as I would like to be, "Water certainly" means that water will be available. Juice may be a little less plentiful, but I rarely drink it.

You should be able to find the cafe menu link next to the dining car menus on any of the train pages on Amtrak.com

"Discretion, (which I rarely show) being the better part of valor" would be wise here, but no one I know thinks I'm wise.

So........ Look a server who makes a table / patron wait for their food longer, because they are a lousy tipper, or stiffed them, or are just plain obnoxious, is also hurting them self. As long as the lousy tipper is at that table, no one else can occupy said table. It's really in the server's best interest to get that stiff seated, served, and GONE.

Making someone wait longer, or the opposite, rushing them, is one thing. "Touching" or playing with their food is quite another, and that is a line I have never, ever crossed. However, YMMV, like in this movie clip.

To answer the tipping question, I do calculate what the price of the meal would be and tip accordingly. Others merely tip a set amount. How you do it, and I can't stress this enough, is up to you. There is no right way nor wrong way to tip.

That's EXACTLY what I do too. I use the "If I was paying cash for this" what would my bill have been?

It's important to note that whenever using a GIFT CARD, or if you get a COMPLIMENTARY meal, you should figure out what the meal "would have cost" and tip on that amount, NOT the actual amount at the bottom of your check Many diners simply forget to do this, when using a gift card, or discount card, and only tip on the amount at the bottom of the check.

Many of our restaurant customers have their POS receiptsprogrammed to print "Suggested Tip amounts" at the 15%, 18%, and 20% levels.

Of course tipping is an individual thing, and I absolutely tip based on the quality, attentiveness, and overall service that my waiter/waitress provides me.

I won't reduce my tip because of a crying baby, or high prices, or an obnoxious patron. (other than me)

Second...does anyone have a sample menu, or a list including prices, of things that a person can order in the Lounge Car? I'm trying to figure out how much and what to bring on board in terms of snacks. If bringing our own snacks can result in a reduction of kids' whining and begging for a $5 single serve bag of Doritos, I'll do it. But if onboard Doritos are 75 cents and it can save me packing an extra suitcase full of snacks, I'll cough up the 75 cents.

Third...I read somewhere that water and juice are generally available to sleeping car passengers. I guess that means I don't need to bring fifty bottles of water, right?
Amtrak has menus on their web site. Just go to the Route page of the route you want - Silver Service/Palmetto - scroll down to, and click on

Silver Service Café Menu

There is a limit to how many bottles of water are provided with a sleeper berth, and it's my understanding the availability of juice can vary by sleeper car attendant.

From the Amtrak Service Standards Manual:

• Two bottles of spring water per person per trip (additional water may be purchased in the

Café/Lounge Car).
Amtrak's web site includes bottled water as a sleeper berth amenity, but not juice.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Accommodation_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241210576303

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Accommodation_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241210576259

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope you found all the info helpful, it's good stuff.

One thing that some of our members do when it comes to tipping is get a supply of $1 coins and $2 bills ( stole idea from Penny and GG-1) instead of having to use bigger bills, ask for change or have so many ones. This becomes a trade mark of sorts and I've been told that the OBS like this and that it helps them remember you even long after your first trip with them. ( smiles and courtesy are also appreciated! You catch more flies with honey than vinegar!)

As for snacks in the cafe, as you'll notice when you look up the menu, prices are high and the quality and nutrition levels are low!

Of course it depends on what your kids like and you allow, but you could possibly take some nuts, trail mix,granola type snack bars, low fat peanut butter or cheese crackers and as Ryan said, Goldfish and apple sauce! Dried fruit like raisins, cranberries etc are good as is fresh fruit! Those little juice containers with straws that kids use in school lunches and they serve in schools would be a good idea too.Sugary stuff and energy drinks are not good, kids have enough energy already!

Your SCA will provide botttled water and ice upon request, the juice in the sleeping cars unfortunately is limited to apple juice and really bad orange juice! ( Cranberry is usually available in the Diner).

As for the kids menu in the Diner, the Hot Dogs are surprisingly good ( Lots of us eat them for Lunch, adults can order if they have enough in stock), the Mac n' Cheese not so good! They used to have individual pizzas but they weren't too good either!

While you're in the Lounge(s) waiting for your trains, depending on the time of day, and the Lounge ( the LA and Philadelphia Lounges have the best stuff!), sweet rolls, pretzels,goldfish,juices, sodas and water are available.

Enjoy the trip, memories are made of this!!

In regard to snacks, here's something to remember:

Popcorn is often considered more nutritious than many other snack items. If you bring it aboard, you'll have to get the pre-popped kind, since employees are not permitted to put items in the microwave if they didn't come from the Amtrak Commissary. This rule comes from FDA, not Amtrak. Employees won't be able to microwave any other items that didn't come from the Amtrak Commissary either, so don't bother to ask. Similarly, Amtrak can supply ice, but employees are not allowed to put non-Amtrak items in Amtrak refrigerators. Another rule that originated from FDA.

Tom

I find the DiGiorno Nuclear Pizzas offered in the Cafe to be pretty good and not too outrageously overpriced. I'll even pick them up from time to time at Walmart to have on hand at home for a quick snack or light meal. If you are in Sleeper you likely will not be venturing to the Cafe as the Dining Car meals will keep you plenty full, especially since you get minimal exercise on board.

Yep. FDA food rules, not Amtrak rules.

I eat popcorn pretty much every other day.

So I did a test - popped some corn, added my usual little bit of butter/salt, put the popped corn in a 1 gallon ziplock bag, and ate some a couple of days later.

While not warm it was still crispy/crunchy.

It is kind of bulky, but I will pack a 1 gallon bag of home made popcorn next week to munch when I'm westbound on the CZ & northbound CS.

I tip based on the approximate cost of the meal, but some people use the 2/3/4 method. ($2 for breakfast, $3 for lunch, and $4 for dinner.)

It's really in the server's best interest to get that stiff seated, served, and GONE.
I never really thought about that point of view. I always tip for prompt service but I rarely get quickly seated, served, and GONE. Takes way too long for my taste.

With this new information I'm tempted to experiment with not tipping to see if I get the quicker service I prefer. I guess the alternative would be to ASK the server for quick service, which it sounds like an alternative available to the server. "Look, we don't like hanging out in here. We just want to eat and go. Can you put a rush on our order? There will be a handsome tip in for you, if you do."

I'll try it both ways and report back with my findings.

It's really in the server's best interest to get that stiff seated, served, and GONE.
I never really thought about that point of view. I always tip for prompt service but I rarely get quickly seated, served, and GONE. Takes way too long for my taste.

With this new information I'm tempted to experiment with not tipping to see if I get the quicker service I prefer. I guess the alternative would be to ASK the server for quick service, which it sounds like an alternative available to the server. "Look, we don't like hanging out in here. We just want to eat and go. Can you put a rush on our order? There will be a handsome tip in for you, if you do."

I'll try it both ways and report back with my findings.
EXCEPT, With Amtrak's method of staggered seating, it really doesn't matter as much if you can turn a table any faster, 'cause the next "call" to fill the diner is when EVERY table is open, and reset. If, OTOH, you have a line, or people waiting for a table, then by all means you want to "turn and burn" your tables as fast as you can. As a server, if I flip my four assigned tables 3.5 times, versus only twice, I'm almost doubling my tip potential.

Yep. When I waited tables in a dinner restaurant, 'campers' who stayed all night at a table that I could normally 'turn' 3 or 4 times were not appreciated - unless they tipped 3 or 4 times the going rate back.

Restaurant management didn't appreciate the 'campers' either.

I tip based on the approximate cost of the meal, but some people use the 2/3/4 method. ($2 for breakfast, $3 for lunch, and $4 for dinner.)
That's a good way to do it, too! And I like the idea of using $2 bills, although: do banks still have them? Here's one thing I miss: the tuna fish salad sandwiches. I could eat tuna salad every day of the week! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back