Service Disruption Sleeper Pax

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Amtrak gives me a refund for the difference between the bedroom and coach, you're saying that I should just shut up and accept it and resign myself to being treated as a "standard" coach passenger? That, by itself, isn't satisfactory.
Now you know how "standard" coach passengers feel every time they board. :mellow:

Once the room number is printed out on your ticket Amtrak must honor it.
The only thing Amtrak has to honor is their own fine print. Nothing in their fine print promises you any specific room at any specific time. Everything printed on your ticket is subject to alternatives and exceptions at Amtrak's discretion, including your accommodations.

Situations like these are the best reason to have your tickets mailed to you or to pick them up a few months before you take your trip. Once the room number is printed out on your ticket Amtrak must honor it.
While Amtrak will try their best to honor it, having your tickets printed early would not change a thing. How, in this scenario, would they possibly be able to honor his already printed tickets? His train would have been canceled and there are not rooms available on the next days train.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Amtrak gives me a refund for the difference between the bedroom and coach, you're saying that I should just shut up and accept it and resign myself to being treated as a "standard" coach passenger? That, by itself, isn't satisfactory. I don't want to pay that top dollar for each meal on a standby basis, just in case there's room for me in the diner, or the PPC.
You asked what would happen and people tried to make their best guess. If you consider that us telling you to shut up and accept it, you are reading way too much into typed words.

But if your train gets cancelled, wouldn't you turn in your entire ticket - which was never pulled and thus the stub is attached - in order to get a new one? You certainly wouldn't keep the ticket as it inherently has value to it, like cash.

I personally would be beyond pissed if I missed my train and had to e downgraded to coach. I "get" why you would be annoyed. But I am just saying that nine of us can know for sure what would happen in your original scenario, and I'm just not positive that you would be allowed to sit in the PPC with a coach ticket, even if you had a sleeper on the previous days train.

Mel. He is awesome. Henna sodas the best OBS staff I have come into contact with since my trip starte on Sunday. Francis is an SCA on this train (not my car) and she is pretty good, too.

Recently (earlier this month), I was ticketed in a roomette on 448 CHI-BOS. A couple days before the trip, I was called and told the BOS sleeper was sidelined due to mechanical reasons, and that I would be in a roomette CHI-ALB and coach ALB-BOS. I did not receive any perks on the ALB-BOS coach portion of my trip. I kinda/sorta thought the supposed-to-be sleeping car passengers might have been given the boxed dinner in a portion of the cafe car, but no such luck.

I am in the PPC and we are just starting the wine tasting. No coach pax allowed today either. The car is pretty full of sleeper folks.
Amanda, Did they kick people out of the PPC who didn't want to partake of wine tasting, like they did when they were charging?
No, they did not kick people out of the PPC that were not participating in the wine tasting. There were two people across from me (in the middle section) who were not doing the tasting and were playing a game. I believe there were also a few people down in the swivel chairs who were not tasting.

When we did the tasting on the first day, the tasting was only in booth area and middle section. There were sleeper pax in the swivel chairs just doing their own thing (relaxing, etc).

I am in the PPC and we are just starting the wine tasting. No coach pax allowed today either. The car is pretty full of sleeper folks.
Amanda, Did they kick people out of the PPC who didn't want to partake of wine tasting, like they did when they were charging?
No, they did not kick people out of the PPC that were not participating in the wine tasting. There were two people across from me (in the middle section) who were not doing the tasting and were playing a game. I believe there were also a few people down in the swivel chairs who were not tasting.

When we did the tasting on the first day, the tasting was only in booth area and middle section. There were sleeper pax in the swivel chairs just doing their own thing (relaxing, etc).
Thanks, Amamba! (And sorry I screwed up your name before) This is a huge improvement from charging sleeper passengers, allowing in coach passengers pretty much all evening for $10 each (We even witnessed a coach passenger get free dinner in the PPC once after she latched onto a sleeper passenger), and kicking out non-participating sleeper passengers. Glad someone finally decided the PPC didn't have to keep generating cash flow directly.

The policy of "kicking out" passengers varies from crew to crew. In fact the most annoying incident involved the same PPC attendant, Mark. On the NB trip he allowed my Dad and I to sit in the swivel chairs. On the SB he said no. His approach was so obnoxious, our sleeping car attendant advocated for us to no avail. We offered to pay for the wine tasting but not participate so we could enjoy the ride over cuesta pass. And Mark said no.

I am not a big wine drinker, but I do enjoy the experience one and a while. However this lack of constancy is annoying. I vaguely recall a similar experience years ago when they first started the wine tasting. What makes it more annoying is that the one in California invariably occurs while going over Cuesta Pass, a scenic part of the route.

I heard that the Parlor Car Attendant used to have to also be an LSA but due to a shortage of LSA'asAmtrak relaxed that requirement. Only LSAs are allowed to handle money now that the Attendant can no longer handle money the tastings are now free. :rolleyes:

Or so I heard

I heard that the Parlor Car Attendant used to have to also be an LSA but due to a shortage of LSA's Amtrak relaxed that requirement. Only LSAs are allowed to handle money now that the Attendant can no longer handle money the tastings are now free. Or so I heard.
That sounds just nutty enough to be true. It seemed doubtful that they'd do this simply to make things better for passengers. The only question is how the revenue will be recouped. Will the wine tasting be paired back with lower quality sources or will they bump up the ticket costs? Maybe a little of both?

I heard that the Parlor Car Attendant used to have to also be an LSA but due to a shortage of LSA's Amtrak relaxed that requirement. Only LSAs are allowed to handle money now that the Attendant can no longer handle money the tastings are now free. Or so I heard.
That sounds just nutty enough to be true. It seemed doubtful that they'd do this simply to make things better for passengers. The only question is how the revenue will be recouped. Will the wine tasting be paired back with lower quality sources or will they bump up the ticket costs? Maybe a little of both?
Maybe they feel that by not charging for the wine tasting more passengers will be encouraged to actually buy a bottle or two of the wine that they are tasting and there is enough mark-up on those bottles to cover the cost of the tasting.

It is pretty nice to be able to take a bottle back to the room to enjoy along the way. :)

I heard that the Parlor Car Attendant used to have to also be an LSA but due to a shortage of LSA'asAmtrak relaxed that requirement. Only LSAs are allowed to handle money now that the Attendant can no longer handle money the tastings are now free. :rolleyes:

Or so I heard
While there is certainly always a chance that they are having a shortage of LSA's in LA, I don't see how they can possibly downgrade the attendant working the PPC. If they did that, then they have to cut out all sales of liquor entirely in the PPC, since again only an LSA can handle money. They would also have to stop selling all the gifts & trinkets in the PPC.

And I suspect that they might even have to stop serving meals in the PPC, since the attendant is essentially accepting inventory, again something that only and LSA can do.

So I think someone was pulling your leg if they gave you that excuse for a reason why they're no longer charging.

So I think someone was pulling your leg if they gave you that excuse for a reason why they're no longer charging.
No matter the reason - and if the situation holds - a return to gratis wine and cheese, and no more coach passengers hogging seats and space paid for by sleeper passengers, is a resounding improvement.

While the wine tasting might have been free, the PPC attendant was certainly still selling other beverages (beer, specialty coffees, etc) in addition to CS trinkets (wine glasses, playing cards, etc). I personally bought a CS wineglass and the PPC attendant handled the money, was running credit cards, etc. The PPC attendant in the morning was also going around to all of the swivel chairs and offering mimosas, orange juice, coffee, tea, etc.

The PPC attendant was definitely encouraging folks to buy the full bottles of wine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back