Service Disruption Sleeper Pax

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThayerATM

OBS Chief
I just thought of something :unsure:

We have bedroom reservations on Amtrak for a trip from EMY to SEA this fall. If, through some bizarre set of circumstances, we're forced to ride in coach on the next day's train, do we still get to use the PPC? <_<

We have bedroom reservations on Amtrak for a trip from EMY to SEA this fall. If, through some bizarre set of circumstances, we're forced to ride in coach on the next day's train, do we still get to use the PPC? <_<
I suspect so. That is because about a year ago I had sleeper space on the Crescent and it was bad ordered so we had to go coach. But we still got our meals included. Not the same thing but similar.

I doubt it. To the train crew you are just a coach passenger. If it were something that happened mid trip, I think you would have a better chance. But on the next days train, I doubt it.

I doubt it. To the train crew you are just a coach passenger. If it were something that happened mid trip, I think you would have a better chance. But on the next days train, I doubt it.
OK, but consider this.

We're ready to leave EMY at 11:59 PM Monday night. The train breaks down somewhere south of EMY and doesn't arrive, and Amtrak puts us up for the night. Amtrak had to cancel that train, so the next train north is scheduled to leave EMY at 11:59 PM Tuesday night, but there are no sleepers available on that train, so we've got to ride in coach. Amtrak's still keeping up their end of the bargain by getting us to our destination, and we've still got our ticket STUBS for the original Monday train.

I can't quite understand why we wouldn't be able to use the PPC, and get our meals, (we had paid for meals in our sleeper tickets) while sitting our behinds in coach seats.

OK, but consider this.

We're ready to leave EMY at 11:59 PM Monday night. The train breaks down somewhere south of EMY and doesn't arrive, and Amtrak puts us up for the night. Amtrak had to cancel that train, so the next train north is scheduled to leave EMY at 11:59 PM Tuesday night, but there are no sleepers available on that train, so we've got to ride in coach. Amtrak's still keeping up their end of the bargain by getting us to our destination, and we've still got our ticket STUBS for the original Monday train.

I can't quite understand why we wouldn't be able to use the PPC, and get our meals, (we had paid for meals in our sleeper tickets) while sitting our behinds in coach seats.
Amtrak would be reimbursing you for the difference between your sleeper and the coach tickets. You would most likely not have your original tickets anymore either. Amtrak would take them and issue you new ones along with a receipt of your refunded amount.

No matter what, it would be up to the crew on that next train concerning access to the PPC. As for meals, the only way is if Amtrak Customer Service does something to provide them. I do not believe the crew can make that call and give away meals.

I see what you're saying and I kind of agree with you. Then I remember my experiences with Amtrak staff and I realize they probably wouldn't know or care why you're in coach or what level of service you had originally purchased. I wouldn't count on any help from the OBS and would assume they'd most likely deny you access.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been downgraded from sleeper to coach twice. Both times, I still received the other services to which I would have otherwise been entitled. In one case, that involved free meals in the dining car.

In the other case (on the Starlight, incidentally, during a huge service disruption), there was no Parlour car (so that point became academic), but due to the blanking of a sleeper, I offered up my room to other passengers in exchange for the free meals and access to the shower. The crew agreed.

The folks answering on here are merely speculating, with no actual input from Amtrak, so there's no point in getting into a debate on here about the whys or the why-nots of something that hasn't even happened or been officially answered.

We have bedroom reservations on Amtrak for a trip from EMY to SEA this fall. If, through some bizarre set of circumstances, we're forced to ride in coach on the next day's train, do we still get to use the PPC?
If all else fails, and I suspect it would, as a reluctant coach passenger you could pay your $10 apiece for the 2nd day's wine tasting (beginning somewhere in Oregon), then just continue to hang out in the Pacific Parlour Car for the rest of the ride to Seattle. I've seen coach passengers pull this little stunt on more than one occasion as crew said/did nothing and no sleeper passengers (myself included) raised the issue either.

I've been downgraded from sleeper to coach twice. Both times, I still received the other services to which I would have otherwise been entitled. In one case, that involved free meals in the dining car.

In the other case (on the Starlight, incidentally, during a huge service disruption), there was no Parlour car (so that point became academic), but due to the blanking of a sleeper, I offered up my room to other passengers in exchange for the free meals and access to the shower. The crew agreed.

The folks answering on here are merely speculating, with no actual input from Amtrak, so there's no point in getting into a debate on here about the whys or the why-nots of something that hasn't even happened or been officially answered.
Trogdor is correct. I am only speculating. Many scenarios are possible, I am just, from what I know, speculating on what would happen.

Trogdor, in your second scenario, you were dealing with one train crew who was dealing with a missing sleeper. The scenario Thayer was talking about would have been dealing with a separate train crew on a train that did not lose a sleeper, but is now probably dealing with a at capacity train due to putting a lot of the passengers from a canceled train on it.

So again, while many things are possible, I seriously doubt, in the scenario Thayer presented, that he would get access to the PPC or free meals.

I would also doubt that in the original scenario posted that the OP would get access to the PPC and free meals. I would assume that his accommodation charge for the sleeper would be fully refunded and then the OP would be treated just like a coach passenger.

Also, I am on the CS right now heading north and the wine tasting is now free. It also appears to only be for sleeper pax as they did not make an announcement or invite any coach folks over for it yesterday.

I am on the CS right now heading north and the wine tasting is now free. It also appears to only be for sleeper pax as they did not make an announcement or invite any coach folks over for it yesterday.
Definitely an improvement from the last Starlight ride on which I was able to use the Parlour Car - last summer - and I may have overlooked a policy change since.

Also, I am on the CS right now heading north and the wine tasting is now free. It also appears to only be for sleeper pax as they did not make an announcement or invite any coach folks over for it yesterday.
That's a pretty big hit to the coach passengers if their only method of seeing the PPC has now been rescinded.

That's a pretty big hit to the coach passengers if their only method of seeing the PPC has now been rescinded.
Well, it is a sleeper passenger amenity. Anyone can see it if they pay for sleeper.

All reports that I've ever seen in the past is that sleeper pax downgraded to coach for any reason still get their free meals that they were entitled to, as well as a refund for the sleeper fare. The idea being that the free meals helps to ease the pain at least a bit a being downgraded for whatever reason.

I can't speak to what might happen with the PPC however. The issue here that I could see is that the PPC only has just so much capacity. So while it would help to ease the pain of losing your sleeper, it could come at the expense of another sleeping car passenger. So I'd say that this one is a toss-up and may even come down to a crew decision.

Well, it is a sleeper passenger amenity. Anyone can see it if they pay for sleeper.
Granting access to coach people was never intended to be an amenity for them. It was a way to increase revenue for the PPC, by selling coach pax a $10 ticket, if they didn't sell enough sleeper tickets at $5. If they sold enough sleeper tickets, many times coach pax never even got the chance to buy a ticket.

As for why they are no longer selling tickets, I can only speculate that either the car is just doing better in producing revenue or that Amtrak has relaxed the requirement for how much revenue it must generate to guarantee its continued existance.

All reports that I've ever seen in the past is that sleeper pax downgraded to coach for any reason still get their free meals that they were entitled to, as well as a refund for the sleeper fare. The idea being that the free meals helps to ease the pain at least a bit a being downgraded for whatever reason.

I can't speak to what might happen with the PPC however. The issue here that I could see is that the PPC only has just so much capacity. So while it would help to ease the pain of losing your sleeper, it could come at the expense of another sleeping car passenger. So I'd say that this one is a toss-up and may even come down to a crew decision.
Alan, how does a person go about getting their free meals? Are they given something to show the dining car staff?

The scenario presented was not downgrading on their originally scheduled train, it re-ticketed for the next days train where sleepers were not available. I would be interested to know if anyone has ever gotten free meals in that scenario. Not saying they have not, just do not recall any.

Granting access to coach people was never intended to be an amenity for them.
I was not saying that is was. In fact, I was saying what you are saying. I was simply commenting on the above quote about it being a "pretty big hit" to coach passengers.

Alan, how does a person go about getting their free meals? Are they given something to show the dining car staff?

The scenario presented was not downgrading on their originally scheduled train, it re-ticketed for the next days train where sleepers were not available. I would be interested to know if anyone has ever gotten free meals in that scenario. Not saying they have not, just do not recall any.
This still is something that crews deal with periodically, hardly an unfathomable challenge. IME, the passenger was given a card or paper that explained the circumstances and a report number, along with an Amtrak phone number to verify if the dining car staff or conductor had any questions. Fairly easy stuff.

Evidently some of you "get it" and some of you don't. :lol:

If I pay for, and receive a bedroom ticket on the Starlight, I expect to receive all the first class amenities. If, through that bizarre set of circumstances, I'm downgraded to coach on the next day train, I'm going to be a pretty unhapy puppy if I'm treated as a "standard" coach passenger.

If Amtrak gives me a refund for the difference between the bedroom and coach, you're saying that I should just shut up and accept it and resign myself to being treated as a "standard" coach passenger? That, by itself, isn't satisfactory. I don't want to pay that top dollar for each meal on a standby basis, just in case there's room for me in the diner, or the PPC.

And, as an aside, I've never heard of Amtrak lifting ticket STUBS. Certainly they would lift the tickets, and exchange them, but the STUBS? I don't think so. The stubs would serve as proof that I was booked on yesterday's cancelled train, and if the crew couldn't figure out what to do on their at capacity train, then god help us all.

IS THERE NO POLICY IN PLACE? Amtrak doesn't have being downgraded from sleeper to coach in their OBS manual? <_< Sounds like a shaky way to run a railroad.

Situations like these are the best reason to have your tickets mailed to you or to pick them up a few months before you take your trip. Once the room number is printed out on your ticket Amtrak must honor it.

If I pay for, and receive a bedroom ticket on the Starlight, I expect to receive all the first class amenities. If, through that bizarre set of circumstances, I'm downgraded to coach on the next day train, I'm going to be a pretty unhapy puppy if I'm treated as a "standard" coach passenger.

If Amtrak gives me a refund for the difference between the bedroom and coach, you're saying that I should just shut up and accept it and resign myself to being treated as a "standard" coach passenger? That, by itself, isn't satisfactory. I don't want to pay that top dollar for each meal on a standby basis, just in case there's room for me in the diner, or the PPC.

And, as an aside, I've never heard of Amtrak lifting ticket STUBS. Certainly they would lift the tickets, and exchange them, but the STUBS? I don't think so. The stubs would serve as proof that I was booked on yesterday's cancelled train, and if the crew couldn't figure out what to do on their at capacity train, then god help us all.

IS THERE NO POLICY IN PLACE? Amtrak doesn't have being downgraded from sleeper to coach in their OBS manual? <_< Sounds like a shaky way to run a railroad.
I think we all "Get it." But some of us have different views on what may or may not happen. The fact that someone thinks that you will not get comp. meals, PPC Access etc, doesn't mean that person does not "get it."

I personally have no clue what you may or may not receive and I think it will vary greatly on the crew, the station or reservations agent (who can make notes on the manifest, etc.) and many other variables.

As to why Amtrak does not have a specific policy.. You can't have a written policy for every single variable that can ever happen. Station agents, Conductors, Reservation Agents, LSA's, etc. are paid to handle situations much worse than this everyday. (If a Conductor can handle a pedestrian being struck and killed by a train, I think he can handle someone being downgraded to a "standard coach passenger." Oh the horrors of your life if such a tragedy occurred.)

I am in the PPC and we are just starting the wine tasting. No coach pax allowed today either. The car is pretty full of sleeper folks.

We all understand your question and we all have tried our best to answer it. We do not write/make/enforce Amtrak policy so all we have is what we THINK might happen. Believe me, if this happened to me, I would not be happy either but I would make the best of it.

I do not recall anyone saying they would lift your stub. What I said is they would take your original tickets(including the stubs) and print you new ones for the next days train. Your original tickets would still have the stubs attached because you never got on the train (and the conductor separates the two). So no, you would not have the stubs from your original tickets in this scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back