Roomette 02 is in a lower bucket?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is only One Sleeper on the Portland Section of the EB (#27/#28) and it is on the end of the consist between CHI and SPK

and between SPK and PDX it is on a stub train with the 2 Coaches and the SSL.

This means fewer rooms than on the,SEA Section,hence Higher Buckets on the PDX Section.
Higher buckets? Perhaps not, depending on what you mean.

Between now and 16 Nov 2017, low bucket Roomettes (at $106 upcharge) are available on 15 of the 58 dates of travel between SPK and PDX - or about 26% of the time. Arrow shows no availability restrictions for 2 dates, 1 available on 8 dates, 2 available on 2 dates, 3 available on 2 dates and 4 available on 1 date. Doesn't look like "higher buckets" to me. And with a single sleeper, this flies in the face of the "there is only one roomette at low bucket" notion - except as it applies to train #421.

But if you mean the SPK to PDX buckets are proportionally higher than the CHI to PDX buckets, that's natural for any train.

Edit: A break for supper caused me to not see Oregon Pioneer's last post until after I'd posted this one.

Edit #2: Using Amsnag to look out over the next 6 months finds low bucket Roomettes on #27 from SPK to PDX made available on 76 dates of travel (or about 42% of the time). Sorry, but I don't see "higher buckets" on the PDX section. Maybe that's another one of those interweb fairy tales that never dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is only One Sleeper on the Portland Section of the EB (#27/#28) and it is on the end of the consist between CHI and SPK

and between SPK and PDX it is on a stub train with the 2 Coaches and the SSL.

This means fewer rooms than on the,SEA Section,hence Higher Buckets on the PDX Section.
Higher buckets? Perhaps not, depending on what you mean.

Between now and 16 Nov 2017, low bucket Roomettes (at $106 upcharge) are available on 15 of the 58 dates of travel between SPK and PDX - or about 26% of the time. Arrow shows no availability restrictions for 2 dates, 1 available on 8 dates, 2 available on 2 dates, 3 available on 2 dates and 4 available on 1 date. Doesn't look like "higher buckets" to me. And with a single sleeper, this flies in the face of the "there is only one roomette at low bucket" notion - except as it applies to train #421.

But if you mean the SPK to PDX buckets are proportionally higher than the CHI to PDX buckets, that's natural for any train.

Edit: A break for supper caused me to not see Oregon Pioneer's last post until after I'd posted this one.

Edit #2: Using Amsnag to look out over the next 6 months finds low bucket Roomettes on #27 from SPK to PDX made available on 76 dates of travel (or about 42% of the time). Sorry, but I don't see "higher buckets" on the PDX section. Maybe that's another one of those interweb fairy tales that never dies.

If you are only searching SPK to PDX, that would give you a different result than searching CHI to PDX. It is within the realm of possibility that they don't sell as many low bucket rooms on the full route as they do on a very small segment of it. Especially if there are people who have already booked a partial trip on the Portland sleeper (say, CHI to WFH or SPK or wherever), then reselling that room at low bucket further down the route isn't out of the question.

Revenue and inventory management is far more complex than just saying "x rooms at y price." It can be controlled by segment, specific city pairs, specific dates, etc. Ironically, to my understanding, one of the only things they can't control for right now (contrary to what a lot of people believe and contrary to what the thread title implies) is different pricing/buckets for different rooms within the same class of accommodation (roomettes, bedrooms).

If you are only searching SPK to PDX, that would give you a different result than searching CHI to PDX.
Of course it would! I only searched SPK to PDX simply because that's what Mr. Dylan was talking about.

But now that you bring it up, low bucket Roomettes are available from CHI to PDX on #27 for a total of 81 dates within the next 6 months - or about 45% of the time. How 'bout them apples? :)

Back