Greetings from a new Member

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Amtrack junkies, thanks for allowing me to join you guys. I'm taking my first Amtrack trip on The City of New Orleans 59 train in a roommette on May 18th from Memphis to New Orleans and returning on May 21st on the City of New Orleans 58. It will be my wife and I and to say we are excited is a understatement. I did bid for a room upgrade, but the train going to NO. is sold out now so I'm sure I won't be getting a upgrade going down there but there is hope coming back for a upgrade. Any pro tips is appreciated as I've been watching a ton of YouTube videos to learn the Amtrack tips and advice Thank you for your time and have a great day! Cheers!

Welcome! Sounds like a fun trip, and you'll enjoy the roomette, even though I think neither direction is an overnight. I believe the CONO (as referred here) has a sightseer lounge car that has great views. It also has a dining car but I think they are still doing the "Flexible" meals which are pretty basic, airline style food trays. The roomettes, especially on the Superliner trains, are very small but you'll enjoy the privacy. Ask if you have any questions, and post a trip report with some pictures!

And I'm sure you've figured out the spelling of "Amtrak", took me a while to get used to it as well. Fingers on the keyboard just want to add the "c" :)

Welcome! Sounds like a fun trip, and you'll enjoy the roomette, even though I think neither direction is an overnight. I believe the CONO (as referred here) has a sightseer lounge car that has great views. It also has a dining car but I think they are still doing the "Flexible" meals which are pretty basic, airline style food trays. The roomettes, especially on the Superliner trains, are very small but you'll enjoy the privacy. Ask if you have any questions, and post a trip report with some pictures!

And I'm sure you've figured out the spelling of "Amtrak", took me a while to get used to it as well. Fingers on the keyboard just want to add the "c" :)
LOL. Thank you!

Hope you'll forgive an old joke:

The new congressman's parents had never been to Washington D.C. So he sent them train tickets with a roomette upgrade. When they arrived, he asked how their trip was. 'We've never been so insulted in our lives! We got on the train and there were lots of nice seats, friendly people and great views out of windows on both sides. The conductor took one look at our ticket and locked us in the closet!"

Hope you'll forgive an old joke:

The new congressman's parents had never been to Washington D.C. So he sent them train tickets with a roomette upgrade. When they arrived, he asked how their trip was. 'We've never been so insulted in our lives! We got on the train and there were lots of nice seats, friendly people and great views out of windows on both sides. The conductor took one look at our ticket and locked us in the closet!"
😆 🤣 😂

That is very close to how my girlfriend described the sleeper when she got to look inside it. Made it very clear she expects any trips she takes we me to only be in coach. (Which is fine by me - the only times I've ever had a roomette were when my work paid for the trip, and I could persuade them it cost less than a plane ticket plus one night of hotel.)

Back