Reno police checked me out!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now the "Underwear Bomber" is another kettle of fish!

Its a wonder that the TSA Kabuki Show doesn't require everyone to strip to the buff, or in the case of real pervs, put their paws in everyone's skivies!!

Now the "Underwear Bomber" is another kettle of fish!

Its a wonder that the TSA Kabuki Show doesn't require everyone to strip to the buff, or in the case of real pervs, put their paws in everyone's skivies!!
Underwear bomber is what brought about the spate of body scanners, since said underwear bomb would actually be visible in such. Apparently many countries in Europe are busy deploying them as we speak.

In India during high alerts you do indeed get pawed rather thoroughly. Fortunately such high alert periods last only a day or two when they happen. And in normal course of things everyone gets patted down anyway, after they pass through the metal detector. I guess they simply don;t have enough money for fancy scanners, so they make do with what they have.

Underwear bomber is what brought about the spate of body scanners, since said underwear bomb would actually be visible in such. Apparently many countries in Europe are busy deploying them as we speak.
Good thing I've already been to most of Europe then... ... ...

I think the UK is being most aggressive about such things. The Germans still seem to resort to randomly selected pat downs and swabbing for explosives. I seem to get randomly selectred quite often by the Germans. Anecdotally it appears that brown skin is a factor in profiling there. The guy who does the swabbing has a thick notebook in which he records the result of each swab test in handwriting at Berlin Tegel. It was fascinating to watch him work. It was like he was working on his lab report for someone, and I was one of the sample mouse. There were three others standing in line for the experiments to be run on them :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good info jis! The Germans are the past masters of doting every I and crossing every T!

The job isn't over until the paperwork is done!

And with the resurrgence of racism and "foriener" bashing going on in the world, I would think that you'll be profiled more and more in your travels!

Don't think it can't happen here, it always has and is getting worse, watch the "news" and listen to the politicians!

I think the UK is being most aggressive about such things. The Germans still seem to resort to randomly selected pat downs and swabbing for explosives. I seem to get randomly selectred quite often by the Germans. Anecdotally it appears that brown skin is a factor in profiling there. The guy who does the swabbing has a thick notebook in which he records the result of each swab test in handwriting at Berlin Tegel. It was fascinating to watch him work. It was like he was working on his lab report for someone, and I was one of the sample mouse. There were three others standing in line for the experiments to be run on them :)
Well, unfortunately the reports I'm seeing from Germany is that clerks are starting to repeatedly and conveniently forget that you can tell them to sod off with their scanners, and go through "Alternative screening" instead, particularly at FRA (which is my most frequent connection).

Was in LHR in April and didn't seen any scanners in use, nor in ABZ last year. I purposely avoid AMS because of their notorious and gratuitous security setup... hopefully it'll be a while before ARN/OSL/BGO see these scanners, as that's where most of my travel is to.

Well, unfortunately the reports I'm seeing from Germany is that clerks are starting to repeatedly and conveniently forget that you can tell them to sod off with their scanners, and go through "Alternative screening" instead, particularly at FRA (which is my most frequent connection).

Was in LHR in April and didn't seen any scanners in use, nor in ABZ last year. I purposely avoid AMS because of their notorious and gratuitous security setup... hopefully it'll be a while before ARN/OSL/BGO see these scanners, as that's where most of my travel is to.
To be clear, are we talking about airports or train stations here?

Only specific airports have been named, so yeah.... airports - as in Berlin Tegel (TXL), Frankfurt am Main (FRA), Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS), Aberdeen Dyce (ABZ), Stockholm Arlanda (ARN), Oslo Gardermoen (OSL), Bergen Flesland (BGO)

To be clear, are we talking about airports or train stations here?
Good point, we should stick to Amtrak and its security here.

There have been no changes to Amtrak security here, and the people who would have to appropriate money for increased security on Amtrak hate to appropriate money for ANYTHING on Amtrak, so I doubt we'll see any change of a rapid or dire nature. ;)

Please remember that this thread pertains to Reno police interactions with Amtrak passengers.

Thank you for keeping the discussion "close to" on topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back