Reno police checked me out!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the $10,000 question is always there in the entry Customs form or on the screen in GE kiosks. US does not have any exit checking of customs or immigration for US citizens. At least I don;t recall having given any declaration about anything explicitly during departure from the US ever since I got a Green Card.

But the Government can confiscate your money if its over $10,000 in Cash if you don't declare it when leaving the US whether you're a Citizen or not!

I've seen several such busts @ Airports, Bus Stations and from vehicles when crossing the border!

Suspicion of trafficing in Drugs,Guns and Tax evasion are the reasons given by the agents when it occurs.

The question is though, while departing, who exactly do you declare it to in order to make it official?

Of course in my limited world of limited means I cannot imagine why anyone would want to carry $10,000 in cash to start with, But well, who knows?

In the context of the petty thefts indulged in by the police at Reno, the typical amounts are usually way less than $10,000.

The question is though, while departing, who exactly do you declare it to in order to make it official?
On a FinCEN105 this appears to be the relevant passage...

Travelers carrying currency or other monetary instruments with them shall file FinCEN Form 105 at the time of entry into the United States or at the time of departure from the United States with the Customs officer in charge at any Customs port of entry or departure.
How exactly you would go about reporting this before giving the TSA a run at it is not entirely clear to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I honestly don't know since I've also never done it myself,( although I have had more cash in Vegas! LOL ) but I would guess that Big Brother has the power to confiscate ANY amount of Cash on grounds of "suspicion" figuring that most people won't bother to try to get back what our protectors steal!

I know this was originally really pushed after the Phoney "War on Drugs" began, along with the IRS wanting to track Cash leaving the Country.

After 911 when the Draconian "Patriot Act" was passed ( most Americans don't have a clue what's covered in this Facist Act), the ATF also became involved due to the gun running going on to Mexico and Central America.

Like the old saying goes, ignorance of the Law is no excuse, so grab the money and run has become Big Brothers MO!!

I do feel violated, and I apologize to others on this board who stated there displeasure and I responded by saying just cooperate. That worked but I am still a bit upset. I now understand the points of view of others.
Thanks for writing this. I'm something of a privacy freak myself (apology accepted!), but I don't hold it against anyone who chooses to "just cooperate." Sometimes we need to weigh principle against short-term need (to not be pulled off the train without any preparation for an indefinite delay at that station).

Hope your trip home goes smoothly.

They are looking for drugs or drug-money. If they continue questioning a passenger, the line of inquiry may run to "how much cash do you have on you?" This happened to a young man on the last westbound CZ I was on, and it was reported to me by a woman from the next seat (who I had just talked with at breakfast, and mentioned the Reno police trend). Beware, if you are carrying a lot of cash, it does not matter what it is for, they may just take it on the assumption that the cash is guilty.

There was a similar thread last spring. It makes informative reading.
How much is a lot of cash?

I rode number 5 last spring Chi to Emy and got a knock on bedroom door while underway before Reno. Man flashed a badge and asked to come in. I said no anyone can have a badge. Lets go get my SCA and if he knows you then fine. He looked at me a bit, radio went off and he said never mind. Im a single traveler with a backpack and suitcase. AGR and ride long distance a couple times a year.

Two weeks ago I was going on number 6 from Reno to Chicago. Same backpack, same suitcase just standing on the platform talking to a K-9 officer who could have cared less about me.

Okay, well then, when passing through Reno, lock yourself in your private room and don't come out until after the train has departed Reno. If the Reno police want to talk to you, they'll have to go for a little ride.

jb
Would this actually work? A "nobody home" type of response? I'm not planning any trips in the near future (perhaps at all until we find out how this "more police-state security on trains" craze plays out) but I do have a CHI-->LAX-->SEA-->CHI trip on my bucket list and just want to be left alone.

What's the best way to hide/refuse/whatever and be left in peace? (This from someone who nearly had to use his anxiety meds at just the sight of APD setting up a baggage-swabbing station at PVD this past Monday morning.)

I have been over Donner Pass with fifteen of snow,, rather chilling and exhilarating at the same time,,, forgo eating the neighbors nonetheless as the diner was well stocked, I believe we have way too much of a police presence in this country, but I live a mile down a one way dirt road five miles form town,,, alas for the simple life

I've been in Reno when 'the boys in plain blue' questioned a woman who had bought a ticket with cash the day before leaving San Francisco. She was going to her father's funeral. The boys sure put the word 'fun' into funeral for her. :angry2:

I actually find this info quite shocking.

Steve, was there anything on your tickets that you produced that would show a 1 night stay in SF, or is it 100% that they knew that already?

One can imagine these "big brother" type things in a police state... but hardly in the "home of the free". Then again... :p

Ed. :cool:

Someone needs to tell these numbnutz that "Reno 911" was intended as satire, not instruction. :angry:

I have been over Donner Pass with fifteen of snow,, rather chilling and exhilarating at the same time,,, forgo eating the neighbors nonetheless as the diner was well stocked,
ROTFLMAO do you realy eat your neighbors? :D

Aloha

My thinking was if they looked at my travel history they could eliminate me and others like me as a suspect to do more efficient police work.
Though, if one is a frequent LD "commuter" on Amtrak, such might make one more likely to need a talking-to (in the TSA's way of thinking).

I can certainly sympathize with the OP.

Back a long time ago, soon after "9/11", I was pulled out of line at the airport for 'random additional screen". Apparently, the TSA was profiling those of Italian descent. The worse part, was that the required (demanded) that I leave my 5 yo behind and unattended, in the terminal, for the deration of the screening. Yea, the TSA website specifically states they will never do such, but I can tell you, such is a total lie.

That was the last flight I ever took, and from then on, I was an Amtrak customer.

For what it is worth, put me in the camp of those who find this outrageous behavior and insulting to those of us who have done nothing more than wanting to stretch our legs on the Reno platform.

I have traveled aboard #5 at least once a year for a decade (CHI-SAC) and never had this happen to me or my wife. We always have bedroom accommodations and have always used the stop for a brief refresher and to snap off a few fotos. At no time have we ever seen or heard of any law enforcement officials checking out passengers in the sleeping cars. Of course that does not mean to imply it has not or will not occur.

Our next trip (#5 and #6) is coming up, so forewarned is forearmed - or something like that.

Thanx for the thread.

I actually find this info quite shocking.Steve, was there anything on your tickets that you produced that would show a 1 night stay in SF, or is it 100% that they knew that already?

The round trip was booked under the same reservation number. I am assuming they saw it in the information they got to profile me. When they asked to see my ticket I handed them the folder with both tickets so they would have known at that point. I did not think to give them one ticket. At that point I had determined that I was profiled and assumed that they probably knew my travel info. If I withheld the return they could ask for it anyway. At this point I was consciously opting to cooperate and get them on there way as quickly as possible.

Someone needs to tell these numbnutz that "Reno 911" was intended as satire, not instruction. :angry:
was the goofball in short shorts ( gag ! )

Ive taken a very obtuse way to prevent being bothered.

slap my OSHA yellow jacket on with patches from the half dozen or so organizations I am involved with ..

US Civil Air Patrol ES ( emergency services)

NWS NOAA ( storm tracking )

ARRL- ARES ( ham radio em com)

the NPPA for Photojournalism ( some one who whopped amtrak's "caboose" years ago in a nice lawsuit )

FEMA ICS -100 -400

for giggles Ill slap my ham HT ( hand held ) on the front radio clip.

I use a panasonic toughbook as a laptop . the same ones the US mil uses.

This has worked wonders so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back