Questions for first time AMTRAK travelers for long-distance trip.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my experience, on the Silver Star and Silver Meteor, which I frequent some, about half the Roomettes are regularly occupied by two adults, and the rest are used by single adults or adult and child, or even two kids across the hall from Mom and Dad.

A Roomette is a single adult accommodation. Period.

Yes, it has two beds, but only for situations such as an adult with a small child, two adolescents whose Mother and Father have a Bedroom, or two young and agile adults who need to save a $$$ and otherwise are prepared to accept "bivouac" conditions.

Coach is simply "not an option" for overnight travel - especially three consecutive nights.
Really!?! My teenaged daughter (fully grown) and I did fine sharing a roomette. And I slept on the top bunk, just fine.

Just because you don't like to sleep in coach does not mean it's "not an option".

I do not share the opinion that a roomette is only for a single person, or a "bivouac" condition. It's very cozy, but you are trading the amenity of space (such as you would have in a hotel room) for the amenity of a rolling and ever-changing view. It's a trade that I will take any day!

Hubby and I (both Senior Citizens well over 60) have no trouble occupying a roomette together. Of course, we are still quite agile because we take care to stay healthy and fit.

First, I am a registered member of AU, and I further realize that I'm not as hard core as are some around here, as my Amtrak travels are an Auto Train when I choose to drive down to Florida.

But really, these folks are casual travelers; I respect that they want to give Amtrak a try (I will not recommended an LD to a non-fan), but this SAV-WAS-CHI-DAL "is a lot". There is too much a chance they will be "never agains" with such an arduous three night journey - especially when a flight (AA) including a connection at Charlotte is about six hours.

Sorry if offensive, but "it's where I'm coming from".

One further thought regarding Wi-Fi; don't expect it to work. That has been my experience on Auto-Train - and for that matter, any commercial transporting.

Only once has it worked for me on a flight - and that was on JetBlue where it was free. Paying for it on United resulted in getting my $$$ back.

Even overseas, last year I was passing through Linz AT aboard an OBB (premium) RailJet. Their Wi-Fi thought I was in Moscow.

Even at other sites I've seen reports that it is spotty on the NY-Wash Acela - Amtrak's "best foot forward".

In short, I wouldn't count on it.

Yes, it has two beds, but only for situations such as an adult with a small child, two adolescents whose Mother and Father have a Bedroom, or two young and agile adults who need to save a $$$ and otherwise are prepared to accept "bivouac" conditions.

Coach is simply "not an option" for overnight travel - especially three consecutive nights.
This (then) 53-year old 240 lb adult had no difficulty whatsoever sharing a roomette with my (then) 84-year old 200 lb father from NOL-CHI-PDX and then back from SPI-LVW on a two-week circle trip last September....
Sent from my STV100-1 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

It's a two-person accomodation. There's literally nothing about it that makes it a "single adult accommodation. Period." There are certainly instances where it serves as a single adult accommodation or there's a group of two people that would not find a roomette big enough, but for many, many people a roomette works well as a two-adult accommodation. My wife and I, when traveling as a couple, have only traveled in coach or roomette, and while a roomette is certainly a bit tight, it's more than doable even for a two-night journey (and, other than just the desire to be home, would be fine even for three nights.)

I would personally agree that a first trip on a train being a three-night journey may overwhelm some people, but I don't think that's going to be helped much by having a bedroom.

On most superliner trains, you have a decent lounge to spend time in, and a luggage storage are downstairs. The VL sleepers have some storage space over the hall, but checking unneeded luggage is helpful if available at your origin and destination. The upper in the SL is a smaller less inviting space than in a VL, but certainly usable for normal sized people to sleep. The in room toilet in the VL is a love hate thing, it has been discussed endlessly and is not included in the VL2 when they finally show up. Not a generous space, but certainly viable for 2.

I've been able to share a roomette with other adults without much issue. I've never been able to sleep soundly in coach on Amtrak. The design of the chairs, propensity for noise, nasty restrooms, absence of showers, and lack of any divider prevents my body from relaxing enough to fall asleep. That being said, I've seen thousands of other people do it over the years, so it's obviously workable for many. On the plus side, Amtrak coach is extremely clean and comfy compared to freight train hopping. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
On most superliner trains, you have a decent lounge to spend time in, and a luggage storage are downstairs. The VL sleepers have some storage space over the hall, but checking unneeded luggage is helpful if available at your origin and destination. The upper in the SL is a smaller less inviting space than in a VL, but certainly usable for normal sized people to sleep. The in room toilet in the VL is a love hate thing, it has been discussed endlessly and is not included in the VL2 when they finally show up. Not a generous space, but certainly viable for 2.
We would be more likely to use a roomette on a VL2 (vs the VL1) although we have used the VL1 roomette. Primarily because of the in-room toilet and lack of any other available toilet short of coach.

From Hampton Inn Elizabethtown KY (where it's raining cats and dogs and I'm not looking forward to the drive home to Chicago)--

In viewof that I know both Mr. Bowen and his Father face to face, I must respect their position that two 200+lbs men can do a Roomette. They are far more avid than I. On this trip enroute back from Atlanta (driving it straight through was college stuff), a CHI-30-WAS-19-ATL routing was simply "not in my deck of cards" (flying was, but with change of plans I CX'd and took the $200 "hit").

But volks, Mr/s. Savannah are first timers, and this arduous three night journey, especially considering that SAV-CLT-DFW flight time is about six hours, there is just too much chance these first timers will be never agains.

From Hampton Inn Elizabethtown KY (where it's raining cats and dogs and I'm not looking forward to the drive home to Chicago)--

In viewof that I know both Mr. Bowen and his Father face to face, I must respect their position that two 200+lbs men can do a Roomette. They are far more avid than I. On this trip enroute back from Atlanta (driving it straight through was college stuff), a CHI-30-WAS-19-ATL routing was simply "not in my deck of cards" (flying was, but with change of plans I CX'd and took the $200 "hit").

But volks, Mr/s. Savannah are first timers, and this arduous three night journey, especially considering that SAV-CLT-DFW flight time is about six hours, there is just too much chance these first timers will be never agains.
But if they don’t try now, they may never try again.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

We've never tried before. My dad is a senior citizen, and we're both sub 160 lbs, so I don't think the roomette will be an issue.

Even if we never try again, we have always wanted to do it at least once. Since my dad has a fear of flying, and we've ridden Greyhound crosscountry from Savannah to San Diego before, we decided to try Amtrak this time.

We've never tried before. My dad is a senior citizen, and we're both sub 160 lbs, so I don't think the roomette will be an issue.

Even if we never try again, we have always wanted to do it at least once. Since my dad has a fear of flying, and we've ridden Greyhound crosscountry from Savannah to San Diego before, we decided to try Amtrak this time.
If you've done cross-country bus, you'll love Amtrak.
default_wink.png
I've never done Greyhound, just "short" charter buses, but the way people on here talk about the buses vs trains, I figure you'll love the train. The great thing about the train, vs bus or plane, is you can get up and walk around whenever you feel like it.

If you've done cross-country bus, you'll love Amtrak.
default_wink.png
I've never done Greyhound, just "short" charter buses, but the way people on here talk about the buses vs trains, I figure you'll love the train. The great thing about the train, vs bus or plane, is you can get up and walk around whenever you feel like it.
I second that! I did cross-country bus as a young adult, and swore "never again." On the other hand, I did cross-country train as a young adult, and couldn't wait to get back to it. Hub and I did it once in coach, then tried roomette for part of the next trip. Once I discovered how NICE it is to be rocked to sleep on a flat surface (i.e. roomette bed), I never looked back. Can't say how many times I've done it now, but the "big trip" was a three-week round-the-country tour with only a couple of short DAYTIME segments by bus.

Now a Senior Citizen, I am taking my umpteenth cross-country trip this winter. I am not a "foamer" (train enthusiast), but I think it is a truly civilized way to travel! There is nothing like sipping a cup of tea at a real table as you watch the scenery roll by, then strolling to the diner for a meal with more scenery, then sleeping on a relatively comfy flat surface in a private compartment (and more scenery as soon as it's light out).

As long as one of you is agile enough to climb into a top bunk, you will have a wonderful time, and I predict you will be back for more.

Mr. AmtrakBlue, by short I hope you mean twenty miles or less. During this past August, I did a tour from Salzburg to Hitler's Eagles Nest at Bechtersgarten.

The tour operator had intercity MAN busses, which our bus freaks around here will likely say are the best out there. I met some great people including a Russian girl who was there to help me around @ 2500m of altitude.

But 40km in each direction was quite enough.

Finally, when the tour company is done with those busses, pity the one who buys them used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never done Greyhound, just "short" charter buses....
Mr. Blue, by short I hope you mean twenty miles or less. Last year I did a tour from Salzburg to Hitler's Eagles Nest at Bechtersgarten.
The tour operator had intercity MAN busses, which our bus freaks around here will likely say are the best out there. I met some great people including a Russian girl who was there to help me around @ 2500m of altitude.

But 40km in each direction was quite enough.

Finally, when the tour company is done with those busses, pity the one who buys them used.
Ms Norman, I’m sorry to hear you have such low comfort tolerance. I do quite fine on long distance.

Mlle Norman, certainly you are not so self centered as to realize that other people have different tolerances and that not everyone shares your delicate sensibilities and can handle the horror of riding in a roomette, or in coach, or G-d forbid, a bus!

Messrs. Blue and Ryan, of course I'm aware that many others are more willing to rough it to get somewhere than am I. It's just simple: any travel at age 76 I do is discretionary, and if there is no dough to go as I want, then it's simply no go.

Oh just in case one wonders, I did go to Fredericksburg VA last weekend and flew in "the Gulag" to Richmond (rent beyond). It was fine as the aircraft both ways were Embraer-145's with single seating on one side. I had a seat way aft in both directions which made for great flightseeing (EconoPlus was amidship over the wings - no views).

GBNorman, please stop calling me MR. Blue. My "name" is AmtrakBlue. And as you can see under my avatar I am a female.

AmtrakBlue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back