Questions as I wander west (Cardinal and Empire Builder)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're in the vicinity of Powell's bookstore, Cheryl's is a nice sit-down option. Good food, not cheap but reasonable for the neighborhood.

Or grab a light snack at b'fast time and save your appetite for grazing at one of Portland's food cart pods at lunchtime.
This is an excellent suggestion Patty! Breakfast is usually too expensive for what you get at most places, and ishighly over-hyped as the most important meal, or crap @ the fast food joints.
Maybe have a Continential Breakfast (Portland has lots of good pastry and Baked Goods as well as Coffee shops)and then fuel up @ Lunch and Dinner.

Well be having the Annual Group Dinner of course,and while were out riding on the rails there will be members who know where to eat.Be easy,you'll be OK!

Portland has outstanding Food trucks, and the pub grub is really good too!Generally Chain Hotel food sucks unless it's the Four Seasons or Botique type places!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was hoping someone would post about the Oregon Rail Heritage Center, home of SP # 4449. It is only open 1-5 PM Thursday through Sunday, and I missed it on my last visit.

I was hoping someone would post about the Oregon Rail Heritage Center, home of SP # 4449. It is only open 1-5 PM Thursday through Sunday, and I missed it on my last visit.
Very cool place. I've been a couple times. The Center is extremely well designed as it is both a museum displaying the locomotives and a full working steam locomotive shop. They gate off areas as needed depending on what work is going on. The first time I visited, the #700 was on display (in fully operational condition) while workers were finishing up the #4449's restoration. The next time I visited, the #4449 was on display (back in operating condition) and the #700 was torn down for a complete multi-year rebuild.

The gift shop is fully stocked with some really nice items as well.

Thank you all--Cheryl's looks just right for breakfast, the falls look lovely, and the Rail Heritage Center is a definite. Someone mentioned that in a trip report, so I did know about it, but I think you have to walk across a bridge to it--does anyone here know which bridge?

Last edited by a moderator:
@OP, I am a solo female traveler, too. In April and May I went cross-country (Los Angeles to New Jersey) alone on Amtrak, and it was my first long distance train trip ever. I was a little nervous about things, like you are, but let me tell you it's SOOOO much easier in person than it sounds from reading about it online. Upon arrival in Chicago, I had a redcap meet me at the train and take me to the Metropolitan Lounge. All you have to do is let your SCA know you need a redcap.

Once you get to the Metropolitan Lounge, you just have to show your ticket at the desk to gain access. Let them know that you want a redcap when it's time to board. I was even asked what time I wanted my first meal on the train (dinner, in my case) and the reservation was forwarded to the train staff on board.

The lounge was much larger than I expected, with many many comfortable seats. Just inside the door, near the check-in desk is a place to leave your luggage so you don't need to bring it all the way into the lounge. There were a very few snack foods, plus coffee, etc. Nothing to make into a meal. There's a food court in the station, though. You cannot bring outside food into the lounge. I didn't use the showers last time, but I'm hoping I'll have time on my upcoming trip.

Before it's time to board, there will be a very clear announcement that people who need redcaps for your train should come forward.

I stayed at the HI Chicago Hostel for 4 nights. I "splurged" on a single room with a shared bathroom, I believe it was about $100/night . My room actually had 2 beds in it, and more than enough space. I know you said you're not interested in exploring Chicago, but it's right in the heart of things if you change your mind. There's a Panera half a block away, and a restaurant right at the ground floor of the Hostel. I felt very comfortable at the hostel, which is really much more like a hotel than I expected. There were 3 other bedrooms that were to share the same bathroom, but I never saw anyone else in there at all.

Anyway, I liked being on the train so much that I'm gearing up for another long trip next week: Grand Junction, CO -> Chicago -> Washington, DC -> Baltimore -> New Jersey.

Thank you, anuenue,

I feel much better about the lounge now. It was the size and seeming lack of organization that was concerning me. (I've only left on an LD train from Philly 30th Street, where they put you in an elevator in the lounge, usually with a redcap going down with everyone, and it empties you out directly onto the platform, where the train appears like magic and picks you up. So anything else will seem a bit complicated at first.)

I have changed my mind about Chicago, thanks to some posts on here, and will definitely go and explore.

I'm delighted that you enjoyed your train trip so much that you are going on another long one! :)

Well, in exactly a month from today, I will be boarding the Cardinal to start wandering west to the Gathering! :)

I thank you all so much for the suggestions and advice throughout this thread--I am done planning, and I will print this out and read it through again and take it with me as a primer as I travel.

I am taking a journal to write up the trip so I won't forget anything in my trip report for all of you! :)

Back