Questions as I wander west (Cardinal and Empire Builder)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good on ya' Patty!

I'd suggest Layers, with a water-repellent jacket and a travel umbrella for your trip.

It's easy to get around downtown Chicago, besides the boats you have Double Decker Tourist Buses by the Willis Tower, City Buses, Cabs,Uber,Lyft and the L!!

You will want to walk down Michigan Avenue and visit the Department Stores and take in the Sights along the Lake ( Grant Park).

There is a very good Zoo in Lincoln Park close to Wrigleyville ( Brown/RED Line on the L) and if the Flubs make the Playoffs you might even be able to score a ticket ( expensive from a Scalper!!!), but even if not a Tour of Wrigley Field is a good idea! The Ivy should still be growing then!

As for safety, Chicago is a Huge City with all the problems you hear about, but the really bad stuff doesn't happen in the areas you're interested in. ( I wouldn't ride the L @ Night going to South Chicago)

Plenty of Tourists around on the Streets day and night, you shouldn't feel unsafe unless you want to do a drug deal or hang in a Housing project. ( the Hustlers around Union Station will try to get Money, especially the Self appointed "Taxi Starters!")

There's lots of good info and knowledgable people about Chicago here on AU, I'm especially impressed by Sarah Z's info and knowledge! You may want to PM her!

Last edited by a moderator:
Navy Pier is... eh. I recommend it if you've never been there, just so you can say you've been there, but I avoid it. It's always insanely crowded, and other than the (amazing) Shakespeare Theatre, nothing draws me there. The Ferris Wheel is ok, and you get a nice view of the city and Lake Michigan. They've recently redesigned it; I'm not sure how much it costs now.

Grant Park and Millennium Park are both quite nice. There's plenty of space, so even if it's packed with tourists, you don't feel mobbed. You get to enjoy a lovely view of the buildings along Michigan Ave while breathing in the lake breeze. If you go to the Bean, walk underneath it, look up, and spin around. It's fun. ;)

The Chicago Cultural Center is nearby, free, and open to the public. The interior architecture is GORGEOUS and definitely worth a quick visit. Trivia: It used to house the Chicago Public Library.

If it's raining, head for the Art Institute. It's worth the price of admission (which really isn't bad). Every time you turn a corner or walk down a hall, you'll find yourself saying, "Oh, it's THAT painting." They truly have an extensive, world-renowned collection. I love spending the day there. There's a reason it's the #1 attraction on TripAdvisor.

The "building" is actually three buildings joined together in an Escher-staircase-style-of-madness, so there are guides stationed all over the place just in case you get lost. One guide drew on my map to help me figure out the staircases ("you have to go up to go down"), and most of the guides can tell you where certain paintings are located if you're in a hurry. DO NOT miss the Thorne Miniature Rooms, which are in the basement and often overlooked. They're my favorite part of the museum.

Take BobDylan's advice and go for a stroll along Michigan Ave. It's always heavy with commuters, tourists, and traffic, and there are tons of famous name brand stores along the way. Even if you aren't into shopping, it's fun to look at the window displays. They won't have the Christmas decorations out yet, but they'll have some lovely autumn themed displays. There's a huge Hershey's store near the Hancock Building, along with Ghirardelli's. If you go into Ghirardelli's, they'll give you a free chocolate square. :)

If you want to enjoy a nice view of the city, go to the Hancock Building. I think it's a better view than the Sears Tower (especially at night), and the lines tend to be much, much shorter since EVERYONE goes to the Sears Tower. Pro-tip: If you go to the Signature Lounge in the Hancock Building, you can buy a drink and enjoy the same view for about the same price (if not a little less).

If you want to see the major attractions/museums, I recommend buying a CityPass. You'll save a ton of money, and it includes Express/Priority entry to all of the attractions.

http://www.citypass.com/chicago

Don't be afraid to take the L into various neighborhoods, even if you just stay on the train to sightsee. The Brown Line is a favorite, along with the Red Line going north. I also like the Pink Line going west. You can also hop on the Clark bus (#22) and ride it from downtown all the way up to Andersonville. You'll get to see many slices of the Gold Coast, the Lincoln Park Zoo, Boystown, Lakeview/Wrigleyville, Wrigley Field, Graceland Cemetery, and Andersonville.

You could also venture to Greektown. It will be "south" of you, but don't let that word concern you. When people talk about the crime on "the South Side", it's concentrated farther south. I've been to Chicago by myself many, many times. Just listen to your instincts.

As for the weather, it can be anything from 50 and raining to 70 and sunny. It's cooler by the lake, and the tall buildings tend to create "wind tunnels", so I recommend a lightweight jacket that you can tie around your waist if it gets warm. I further recommend a water-resistant jacket with a hood. Hoods are much easier to manage in the wind and rain than umbrellas. :) Plus, it's one less thing to carry.

Chicago has some terrific Museums, Field - Natural History, and my favorite - Museum of Science and Industry (I have gone open to close and not seen everything) with a 727, Zephyr that set record DEN/CHI, Submarine, etc.

Weather in the summer varies. I was just there with high 70's, then several days of mid-90's, before mid 80's, and humid because of the rain.

Chicago has some terrific Museums, Field - Natural History, and my favorite - Museum of Science and Industry (I have gone open to close and not seen everything) with a 727, Zephyr that set record DEN/CHI, Submarine, etc.

Weather in the summer varies. I was just there with high 70's, then several days of mid-90's, before mid 80's, and humid because of the rain.
Mystic is going in October, not the summer. :)

The train set at the MSI is awesome! I can't believe I forgot about that. (MSI is included in the CityPass as well.) There is a model of Chicago at one end of the set and a model of Seattle at the other. A little L train travels around Chicago, a small Metra travels to a little suburb nearby, and the Empire Builder and freight trains travel between the two cities. There are little towns, viaducts, mountains, etc. to make it look like the actual EB route.

I have yet to tour the Zephyr, unfortunately. The first time I went, it was October and they were doing a "spooky tour" that involved keeping the lights off. They talked about the train and walked us through the cars, but we couldn't see anything. The second time, we got there between tours and didn't have time to wait for the next one.

Navy Pier is... eh. I recommend it if you've never been there, just so you can say you've been there, but I avoid it. It's always insanely crowded, and other than the (amazing) Shakespeare Theatre, nothing draws me there.
Not a draw for Sarah -- and the only reason I've been there is that a friend of mine from college is a staff member -- but the Chicago Children's Museum is on Navy Pier, and seems like a fun place for kids.

Thanks very much to all, and a special thanks to SarahZ. (I don't need to do a city tour now, Sarah--I think you did a better job of describing Chicago than they would! :) )

So: Yes to Museum of Science and Industry (and the train set), Art Institute (miniature rooms sound lovely), and Ghirardelli's (of course :p ); maybe to River Cruise (if I still want to be on something that moves after two nights on the train) and Grant Park; all with a lightweight nylon jacket. No to Navy Pier and heavy winter coat. Field Museum and Shedd Aquarium if I go back another time--too overwhelming on first visit.

I am not great with clumps of kids, but I tend to like kid stuff, so figure I am in their territory and just behave myself. And they can be very nice. I tried to go into the "heart" in the Franklin Institute in Philly once and didn't realize til I'd started that you have to climb up stairs in a very narrow space. I started to get claustrophobic and had to turn around and come down the few steps I'd gone up--I was saying "Oh, please, I have to get out of here--I can't do these steps" and to their credit, about 20 youngsters already in line to go in let me out, calling in a loud voice "Let the lady out--she can't do the steps!" (I was so embarrassed! :blush: ) (This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but thinking of the Science and Industry museum reminded me of it. :p )

The trip out and the trip back have come sharply into focus, thanks to all the advice here. And in Portland, I'll just follow the AU experts around! :)

I'm excited to read your trip report. If you have any questions about Chicago, feel free to PM me. I usually log in about once per day.

I like to blather on and on about Chicago history, so if you're into that, I can PM you some areas to check out.

For example, the Museum of Science of Industry is the former Palace of Fine Arts building from the 1893 Columbian Exposition (World's Fair).

If you're walking down Michigan Ave, be sure to walk by Tribune Tower. First of all, it's a gorgeous, Gothic-style building. Secondly, there are pieces of historical buildings and sites embedded in the masonry. You can touch everything (I've never been told not to). Examples: The Parthenon, a piece of twisted metal from the World Trade Center, The Alamo, the Taj Mahal, Notre Dame, the Berlin Wall, the Great Wall of China, etc.

Whenever I'm with friends who haven't been to Chicago, I make that part of our Michigan Ave. tour. :)

Thanks, Sarah! I definitely will do a trip report. I will PM you about the history--I love history and historical buildings. I will put the Tribune Tower on my list (I will go google it in a minute and find it on the map).

It looks like one trip to Chicago is not going to be enough if I like the city (and it sounds more and more like I will), so the Card or Capitol Ltd. may see me again! :)

Love these long train rides just kicking back and taking it all in, so looking forward to hear about yours. Also, I'm hoping to get some time in Chicago so I can utilize some of the tour guide laid out by SG.

One minor note: while most of the museums are in or near the Loop, the Museum of Science and Industry is way down in Jackson Park (57th St, south side). The easiest way to get from Millenium Park to MSI is to take the Metra Electric from Millenium Station to Hyde Park (55-56-57th Street), then walk a block east. The immediate area is not dangerous - it's the east end of the University of Chicago campus.

Chicago is a nice city. Its a bit like a small New York but far less dense. As for lodging; you apparently enjoy the better accommodations. Many are located on the "Magnificent Mile" off Michigan Avenue near the Hancock Tower. The Magnificant Mile is like New York City fifth avenue with the upscale stores and all. Its about a 10 minute cab ride from CUS. That area adjoins the Gold Coast district and is full of good restaurants and hotels. If you want an activity a trip to the top of the John Hancock center is nice. The top floor has a nice observation area and there is a coffee bar there too. Great place to relax and see an aerial view of the city.

Thanks, everyone.

I looked up the Tribune Tower and that alone looks like a reason to visit Chicago!

dlagrua--

Yes, at my age I do like to stay at nice (midrange chains, usually) hotels. But if you've seen some of my other posts, you know my own home is minimalist (no TV, no computer, no car, no smartphone, all on purpose), so some of what I would have spent on those things can go toward hotels when I travel, which are treats for me. :) Plus I stick with a couple of brands so I can rack up points and get some free nights that way.

I hope people here don't think I'm a snob because I like nice hotels. :( Sometimes I'm at the other end of the travel scale--remember I use NJ Transit to commute to work! :p

Sticking with one or two chains is smart. I have stayed with the Hilton chain that now includes over a dozen different brands. There is the award potential, but the consistency and reliability that are important when traveling. Then when you have traveled as much as I did before I retired, you are awarded a "Lifetime" membership (airlines and hotels). Now I get special consideration, special rates, etc.even though I do not travel as much.

No apologies needed Patty,you pay your own way and have the final say on what's comfortable for you!

As the Dog Days of Summer unwind, counting down the days until the Conductor calls out "All Aboard!" and "#21 High Ball Austin" heading Southwest by West by Northwest for the AU Gathering in the City of Roses!

See ya' there!

Thanks, Jim. :)

Lonestar--

I agree about the consistency. I need to know exactly where the coffee machine is in the room before anything else, and at the HGI, I know exactly where it will be every time! I always loved to travel, but I spent my working years in a career where lots of people I worked with traveled, but I stayed put, so no lifetime memberships :( ).

As I got distracted by Chicago, I abandoned Portland--I will be there for a week after the Gathering with my cousin (unless she can't come, then I'll meet her in California and will have a whole new set of questions for all of you :p ). Aside from the rose gardens and the Huge Bookstore, I see on the map that Portland has a few museums and other places of interest--any particular ones to recommend? Thanks for all suggestions.... :)

When I was in Portland in January, I didn't have much time, but I did go to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry and took a tour of a submarine they have. The tour was led by a man who had spent many years serving on a similar submarine, and was extremely informative. I also visited the Lan Su Chinese Garden, which was a millennium gift from a sister city in China.

I went to the Oregon Historical Society Museum one of the times I was in Portland. It was small compared to the museums in my home city of Chicago, but is was very nice and not crowded the day I was there.

Directly across from the historical society museum is the art museum. While I didn't go there, it is very convenient having both museums together.

Thanks, Maglev and Everydaymatters,

Those all sound good, and I will plan on visiting them if possible (except for the submarine--I get claustrophobic).

Also, everyone, any good, reasonably priced, breakfast places to recommend in Portland? (I asked about Chicago ones on another thread, so just concentrating on Portland ones here.) Something with eggs, hash browns, etc.--a full breakfast, not just coffee and a donut--and not trendy but not a hole in the wall or hippy 60s, either. I've looked up the google map and googled breakfast restaurants but don't see much.

Thanks, Maglev and Everydaymatters,

Those all sound good, and I will plan on visiting them if possible (except for the submarine--I get claustrophobic).

Also, everyone, any good, reasonably priced, breakfast places to recommend in Portland? (I asked about Chicago ones on another thread, so just concentrating on Portland ones here.) Something with eggs, hash browns, etc.--a full breakfast, not just coffee and a donut--and not trendy but not a hole in the wall or hippy 60s, either. I've looked up the google map and googled breakfast restaurants but don't see much.
Does your hotel offer free breakfast?

Not this trip--I used to get breakfast free at HGI, where I will stay on the way out, but have come down in the world (didn't travel a lot last year) and am not that level anymore. On the way back, it's a Courtyard, and, in general, they have expensive breakfasts that I don't think are very good.

If you have a car, a drive out I-84 Easr about 30 miles or so will take you to Multnomah Falls - a very scenic waterfall. There is an exit/rest area in the middle of I-84 for it, with a walkway/underpass under I-84 and the UP tracks to the Falls. (Side note - These tracks were the route of the Pioneer.)

A few miles further down I-84 is Bonneville Dam. You can tour the dam and fish ladders.

That sounds lovely, but no car. Just going to places I can either walk or get to by whatever type of rail :) .

About breakfast--I had my hotels mixed up--I was thinking of the Chicago ones, but the Portland ones aren't free, either. I will treat myself to the one at my hotel one day, but can't do it every day.

Do they have breakfast food trucks? I've eaten from food trucks in Philly and survived, so that's another option.

If you're in the vicinity of Powell's bookstore, Cheryl's is a nice sit-down option. Good food, not cheap but reasonable for the neighborhood.

Or grab a light snack at b'fast time and save your appetite for grazing at one of Portland's food cart pods at lunchtime.

Back